Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch for an auto x/ road race car/ street car

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2008, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch for an auto x/ road race car/ street car

I'm semi new to the evo world and the time has come to put a new clutch into my evo. Discovered my current clutch that was put in before I bought my car is trashed. Had to drop the tranny to inspect the center diff, so figured it would be wise to inspect the clutch while in there. It's a good thing too.
I've noticed over the years that no clutch company makes a great clutch for every car. Perfect example would be ACT.. you would not put an ACT clutch in an SRT-4 unless you wanted to replace it 10k later and didnt runs slicks, they just did not hold up. Now I know ACT makes a damn good clutch for the EVO as that is what was in mine. It never slipped, never gave me fuss but it wore out pretty fast.
That being said I'm looking for info and long term feedback on what is a good clutch for a guy who yearly does 6-10 auto x events, 2-4 lapping days, maybe 10 passes at the drag strip every other year, and few weekend street launches a month. (not my dailly driver, but it gets street use)
Currently I had the ACT Heavy Duty Street Disk clutch kit and 10.5 lb flywheel. I would not want to go any heavier on the pedal 46% increase is plenty.
If the clutch would last longer than 10-15k miles, that would be a plus.
Also how drastic are puck clutches on an awd car? Had a 6 puck on my srt and it was not to bad, but not sure how they differ for an awd car.