Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Coolant leak evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Coolant leak evo 8

Antifreeze coolant whatever you want to call it. I have a leak. Let me explain it to you guys first and then maybe you can help. Ok i just got my evo and been in the process of fixing all the problem that were there when i got the car from dealer. I did not know when my antifreeze was changed last so i decided to change it along with the hoses. I was not sure which antifreeze to use autozone told me i could use the Prestone all makes and model antifreeze(green color) if that makes a difference. its not a 50/50 so i had to add water of course.

Now i drained whatever was in there and changed just the top hose for now. filled it back up with the prestone and water. Now the car is smelling like coolant. so of course some spilled one thinks its in the engine so clean it up wipe it down to rid the smell. Well turns out its leaking. I can tell because on the top of the fan all the way down is a coolant streak.

Well i know what you guys are gonna say. its the top hose you changed right. WRONG i change it back to factory and guess what still leaking. YES before you ask Im using the OEM clamps i even bought some new ones and put them on as well to see if it was leaking from that hose. NOTHING and hose is dry.

The only other thing i can think of is the hose that goes to the coolant resoivor. because of this leak the tank stays empty after about 2-3 days of causul use. I was gonna order another hose but i dont know. I want to fix this myself without going to the dealer if i can.

NOW FACTS. IT was NOT leaking before no smell or streak or anything. after the change it is. Am i using the wrong antifreeze??? could it be the resovior hose???

HELP
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, first things first... Does it make sense to you that using a wrong type of fluid would make it leak??? No, it wouldn't... And second, how many miles are on this thing that you would change the hoses??? I work on cars off and on but radiator hoses last quite some time...

Ok, but anyway... You did something wrong. I know because before, no leak, and now there is one. So find out exactly where its coming from. Run the engine and do a very very thourough investigation. Then fix the problem. With out anyone there it is hard to tell what is wrong because it is a physical thing that is wrong, if that makes sense. It isn't really something that you could post up that someone would know off the top of their head.

It is definately something you did so double-check your work and stop replacing things that don't need to be fixed... "If it ain't broke, Don't try fixing it..." Especially of you have no idea what you are doing... get a friend to help....
Old Nov 11, 2008, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

first off the evo has 52k miles on it i replaced the hose to spark up the enginebay. i keep all my orginal parts by the way. so if i want to switch back i can. whats there to check lol. all i did was change the top hose and i even doubled bracketed it for good measure. i ask of the fluid just to make sure. thats why you ask questions. i also loosen and moved the upper ic pipe the first time i took it off because the hose was tight. thats it. i did not distrub anything else. thats the problem. i have ran the engine while hot and put my hand under the hose no leak. the only thing i can think of is that resovior hose. which i did not even touch. finding the leak is the problem there is no signs of it on the hoses just the fresh coolant streak on the fan cover. So i ask the question has anybody changed there hoses and had a leak like mine. the leak makes no sense where it could be coming from unless its that resovior hose. i dont know
Old Nov 11, 2008, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Did you bleed the air from the radiator ? Air could be building up causing pressure double check your hose clamps and make sure the hoses are seated properly , i never had any coolant leaks with my evo when i changed my head
Old Nov 11, 2008, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
all i did was change the top hose and i even doubled bracketed it for good measure.

You double what-ted it? Bracketed it?

That might be your problem, if you put too much pressure on the top of the radiator pipe, you can crack it. Remember, it is only plastic end tanks on the radiator.

You might want to take off your top hose and give your upper end tank a very thorough inspection for cracks. I know my radiator had one because I absent mindedly overtightened a t-bolt on it. You couldn't see the crack unless you put pressure on the radiator pipe while looking at it. It only leaked when under WOT and the coolant pump built 10+psi in the system.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOIX4me
Did you bleed the air from the radiator ?

Thats another thing too, if you don't bleed it out properly you will leave room for steam to generate, and the steam will generate quite a bit of pressure.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
this tkklemann man is pretty smart.

check to see if you cracked you radiator. it plastic up there and then get rid of the pressure it thats it. It can't be the type of fluid you use.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

The only thing i can think of is what you just said. maybe the top is cracked. the only reason i doubled bracketed it was i saw it was leaking thats why. Maybe it cracked when i was taking of the orginal tight hose. i mean the thing was on there extremely tight. When i change the hose back to the orginal i only had the oem clamp on there. i only double camped it after i smelled and noticed it was leaking when i had the aftermarket hose on there after repeated cleaning. so ill take the hose off again today and see if its cracked. anyway to fix that silcone or something or just get another radaitor. I dont care switch if i have to buy another one so be it. I just rather avoid my dealer at all cost. after they botched my header job i dont trust them.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 03:49 PM

How did you remove the hose the first time??? Hoses should be twisted off not pulled or anything shoved in to break the seal...
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

lol not gonna lie the damn hose was extremely tight i did have to pull it off. I think the top of the radaitor is cracked like everybody is saying ill have to check it on my off day. if so i guess i get to buy anew radiator.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

ok my new radaitor comes in tomorrow ill install and we will see. i never did find that crack on the top but ill beable to see better once its out of the car
Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

LEAK GONE. my resovoir hose nipple was cracked. so when the pressure came on it acted like a spray hose and theres my coolant leak. Replaced with mishimoto its all goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood now and dry fixed