Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Forced Performance Turbo Reliability

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2008, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forced Performance Turbo Reliability

Can anyone who has had an FP turbo failure post here, and explain what happened. There was some talk on the MLR about Green failures and there is apparently 4 known failures there recently which seemed a large number since they don't run that turbo as much as in the states.

I myself have had an issue where it started to sound a bit noisy on spin down and needed to replace the CHRA on my 35R HTA. However I was running 41 psi and later found a cracked t-piece so I don't necessarily blame FP for the failure.

I know Celica2Evo recently had a failure with an HTA.

9sec9 had a Green failure.

Can others please post details. I don't mean to slate FP but reliability is pretty important to me and I want to get a sense of what is happening.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol too slow
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=380848
Old Nov 11, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
9sec9's Green failure was due to another issue, which has been discussed elsewhere.

Do you have any idea how many Greens there are out there? Threads like these are stupid.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
9sec9's Green failure was due to another issue, which has been discussed elsewhere.

Do you have any idea how many Greens there are out there? Threads like these are stupid.
I find people that **** on other peoples questions a lot more than just stupid.

If not many people reply to this thread, well then I have a more comfortable feeling running my HTA. Do you mind if I occupy a slot on your precious board to satisfy my curiousity or will you be calling the thread police?
Old Nov 11, 2008, 01:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The great thing about FP is that if there is an issue with the turbo they will make it right.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

I've been pleased with their support.

I had one of the first batch of HTA 35R's and the anti-surge cover blew off. They fixed it for free with one day turn around.

Then I had the issue with the CHRA and they gave me a decent price on the new CHRA. But after running 41 psi I didn't even ask to get it for free so just paid.

Both those failures had my car down for a long time though since I'm in the Caribbean. Certainly could have done without them.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inneedof
The great thing about FP is that if there is an issue with the turbo they will make it right.
we got failed fp sourced turbo's here they won't fix 1 of em

Last edited by leecavturbo; Nov 11, 2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

The first batch of HTA 35r's that had blew due to compressor housings were not FP's fault, that was a machining problem from TiAL. Everyone that had the problem was taken care of.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
crcain, you've got a well deserved reputation for stirring up controversy for no reason in many of your previous posts. This thread continues down the same road.

You've already admitted that you don't blame FP for the failure of your 35R HTA, so its apparent that your starting this thread had nothing to do with helping your level of "comfort".

Your HTA has a Garrett CHRA, and the bearings are not modified by FP, only the compressor wheel changed out. So, if there was a CHRA failure, it would have nothing to do with FP's workmanship anyway. Again, no information about "comfort" could be provided.

Greens are journal bearing turbos, not a ball bearing CHRA like your 35R. Again, no useful information, because its apples to oranges in the bearing department.

Threads like these also provide no useful points of comparison, because you only hear from a few of the product owners, thus there is no capability to measure failure rates because there are hundreds or thousands of good turbos that are not considered; in addition, there is no real way to evaluate WHY a failure occurred when the vast majority of customers do not have the knowledge or experience to tell you why something failed.

That's why I said threads like this are stupid -- they have no predictive value even if you are asking about the same turbo you have -- which you are not...

You're the kind of customer that makes smart businesses put you on a "no-sell-to" ****list before you even call them to order.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by leecavturbo
we got failed fp sourced turbo's here they won't fix 1 of em
did you get them directly from FP?
Old Nov 11, 2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by dexmix
did you get them directly from FP?
there have been a few failures of the FP Green in the UK, I am not sure how many were direct FP supplied and Turbo Dynamics(UK FP Distributor) supplied

I had an FP Green, purchased from Vivid, and have not had one problem with it's reliability
Old Nov 11, 2008, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crcain
Can anyone who has had an FP turbo failure post here, and explain what happened. There was some talk on the MLR about Green failures and there is apparently 4 known failures there recently which seemed a large number since they don't run that turbo as much as in the states.

I myself have had an issue where it started to sound a bit noisy on spin down and needed to replace the CHRA on my 35R HTA. However I was running 41 psi and later found a cracked t-piece so I don't necessarily blame FP for the failure.

I know Celica2Evo recently had a failure with an HTA.

9sec9 had a Green failure.

Can others please post details. I don't mean to slate FP but reliability is pretty important to me and I want to get a sense of what is happening.
Do you really have nothing better to do??? Every other post of yours is stirring up some type of $hit. How many turbo's do you think FP has sold, half the damn evo population has them. What a few 3-4 turbos failed....wow. I have heard more factory stock turbos failing....must mean Mitsubishi make unreliable turbo's

Think before you post your nonsense.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
crcain, you've got a well deserved reputation for stirring up controversy for no reason in many of your previous posts. This thread continues down the same road.

You've already admitted that you don't blame FP for the failure of your 35R HTA, so its apparent that your starting this thread had nothing to do with helping your level of "comfort".

Your HTA has a Garrett CHRA, and the bearings are not modified by FP, only the compressor wheel changed out. So, if there was a CHRA failure, it would have nothing to do with FP's workmanship anyway. Again, no information about "comfort" could be provided.

Greens are journal bearing turbos, not a ball bearing CHRA like your 35R. Again, no useful information, because its apples to oranges in the bearing department.

Threads like these also provide no useful points of comparison, because you only hear from a few of the product owners, thus there is no capability to measure failure rates because there are hundreds or thousands of good turbos that are not considered; in addition, there is no real way to evaluate WHY a failure occurred when the vast majority of customers do not have the knowledge or experience to tell you why something failed.

That's why I said threads like this are stupid -- they have no predictive value even if you are asking about the same turbo you have -- which you are not...

You're the kind of customer that makes smart businesses put you on a "no-sell-to" ****list before you even call them to order.
That was a lot of talk with no rational reasoning. My level of comfort? Did you ever consider I might upgrade down the road? Did you ever consider that I have over 3 friends with Greens who went down that road under my suggestion? Did you ever consider I have many other friends with Evo's who ask me for advice? So I think it's safe to say, I've blown your 'assault on my "comfort"' argument out of the water.

As to whether a 35R has anything to do with a Green because one is journal versus ball bearing? Who cares. They both are modified by FP that is the relationship.

As you can see, my interest in this is not specific to my turbo failure. It is specific to whether I recommend a Green or Red to people as a "reliable" solution or not. I've got very close friends with s202, two evo 6, evo 5, three evo 7s, evo 9, evo X, etc... And yes I am curious if I am gonna have another issue with mine seeing as how I've had two already in the space of a year and half.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
Do you really have nothing better to do??? Every other post of yours is stirring up some type of $hit. How many turbo's do you think FP has sold, half the damn evo population has them. What a few 3-4 turbos failed....wow. I have heard more factory stock turbos failing....must mean Mitsubishi make unreliable turbo's

Think before you post your nonsense.
It's hilarious to me that you are asking if I have anything better to do, when you are in a thread for absolutely no reason. I'm here to find out some INFORMATION.

If FP was so kind, they'd simply post the sales versus failure ratio of each model. Absent that I'm just trying to get some friggen FEEDBACK ON A PRODUCT which the last time I checked this forum was for you nagging whiners.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Moderators I think it would be fair to clean this thread up and just keep it about people reporting success or failure. FP is a terrific product this is in no way meant to stir anything up. I genuinely am interested in peoples experiences.

Quick Reply: Forced Performance Turbo Reliability