Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2008, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch slipping

Ok heres the deal. To be short, just had transfer case rebuilt do to a mechanic error from my last clutch job. Then i had the transmission rebuilt because it was starteing to go out. anyways i have an exedy twin plate clutch in it now and it feels like its starting to slip. I hope this isnt the case since it only has about 12k miles on it and this is my 2nd exedy twin installed. When the transmission was out, the mechanic viewed it and said it looked like it had plenty on life left in it and it wasnt really worn. This was only visual inspection, he did not take a closer look at it. right now the clutch doesnt grab until it is almost all the way out, typical exedy will grab after only 2 inches or so, not the whole way. Im not one of those who are rough on their cars, i dont launch it nor ever have, i dont burnout, shift incorrectly, or anything like that. So with the wear on the pads being fine, what could be causing the clutch to feel like it is slipping. Some thoughts ive heard so far are

1. pressure plate malfunction (heard highly unlikely)
2. clutch discs themselves went bad(also rare but can happen due to bad shifting)
3. clutch itself installed incorrectly. (but worked fine the first 10k miles or so)

im at the point where im about to get my car back for the first time in over a year, and the costs i have incurred are great with the trans and tcase. im trying to avoid the 700 price of tearing out the clutch and putting it back in to see what the problem is, and if i truly had to pull it out to begin with.

Any expert advice you guys can give would be great. thanks!

Last edited by BOOSTIN24; Nov 12, 2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 09:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
did you try adjusting your clutch

if you want to test clutch...get in fifth gear at 2k rpm and floor it...if your rpm shoot up with your speedo then your clutch is slipping
Old Nov 12, 2008, 09:50 PM

o sorry, yea forgot to mention. I did have the clutch try to be adjusted no luck. I havent had the car on a dry enough road yet to test to see if it spins out. its too wet right now
Old Nov 12, 2008, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

doesn't matter if its wet or not..

go like 30mph in 5th/6th gear and floor it, if it starts slipping your RPMs will jump up but your speedo will not