Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Crazy noises under de-acceleration (vid inside)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2010, 01:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in for results
Old Feb 1, 2010, 01:59 PM
TS8
Evolving Member

Revvin9K, which clutch kit, flywheel and TOB (OEM or non) do you have installed?

I'm really starting to think the way to get rid of the rattle at 3K and above on higher gears is by changing back to stock flywheel.
This way it will have more inertia for the TOB and the lever to stay put from "dancing" around in the housing.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 02:40 PM

i had a similar noise when i would decelerate and could of swore it was the drive shaft goin bad,,,,even two different mechanics at diff. shops said it was the shaft when we put it on the lift and ran it!!! come to find out it was the ring and pinion in the TC!!!! hope it helps.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TS8
Revvin9K, which clutch kit, flywheel and TOB (OEM or non) do you have installed?

I'm really starting to think the way to get rid of the rattle at 3K and above on higher gears is by changing back to stock flywheel.
This way it will have more inertia for the TOB and the lever to stay put from "dancing" around in the housing.

Bought the car stock with an Exedy Hyper Single, was told it was the clutch flywheel combo, changed her out to an Exedy organic with a STOCK flywheel. Guess what?

Not the transfer case either, had mine removed in favor of a built RS unit with and LSD....guess what?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by revvin9k
Bought the car stock with an Exedy Hyper Single, was told it was the clutch flywheel combo, changed her out to an Exedy organic with a STOCK flywheel. Guess what?

Not the transfer case either, had mine removed in favor of a built RS unit with and LSD....guess what?
Damn dude really sorry it's been this long and still no definititve answer to your issue

I guess your Evo just likes to be NOISEY
Old Feb 1, 2010, 04:44 PM
TS8
Evolving Member

I was looking at this: (steps 67,70 &71)
http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php...3_4&tech_id=27

Could it be that the clutch fork springs were installed improperly and/or the felts were not installed correctly?
Also, maybe not enough grease on the fork and TOB contact area?

Did anyone that have the rattle personally did their own install?

Last edited by TS8; Feb 1, 2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So the shop rags around the tank shields quietened things down, but when you removed the shields altogether the remainder of the noise is still present.

Any progress on what the noise is?
Old Jun 5, 2010, 08:42 AM
TS8
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvocentriK
So the shop rags around the tank shields quietened things down, but when you removed the shields altogether the remainder of the noise is still present.

Any progress on what the noise is?
The rags didn't work for me. I'm really thinking it may be the TOB in my case.
I just can't justify spending hundreds of dollars just to try to fix the noise, especially if we can't pinpoint the culprit. But, it sure IS annoying during the "window open" season.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:41 PM
TS8
Evolving Member

Has anyone gone back to OEM clutch and flywheel to "fix" the noise??
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

I have the same exact problem!

I had an 06 GSR with an ACT XTSS and streetlite flywheel it never made a sound. I bought an 04 RS bone stock with same exact de-acceleration chatter, noise, sound, etc. I removed the stock clutch and flywheel and put in an Exedy stage one, lightened flywheel and brand new Mitsu TOB. The noise is still there. I have read that this is a normal issue for evos but if it is why didnt my 9 do it? At least I am not alone with this problem.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by philevo
I had an 06 GSR with an ACT XTSS and streetlite flywheel it never made a sound. I bought an 04 RS bone stock with same exact de-acceleration chatter, noise, sound, etc. I removed the stock clutch and flywheel and put in an Exedy stage one, lightened flywheel and brand new Mitsu TOB. The noise is still there. I have read that this is a normal issue for evos but if it is why didnt my 9 do it? At least I am not alone with this problem.
Yeah, it has plagued the hell out of me. I have changed NEARLY everything on my car, and she is still there.

Not really gonna let it bother me anymore. Wanted it gone so my car would be more tolerable for my wife to be in.... getting a divorce, so hell with it.

And believe me when I tell you guys, I have gone through everything twice.

My next step is to hook up some "chassis ears" to several parts of the car and go from there. Just been real lazy.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

I have this noise with my Quartermaster twin. I expected it though because it has 2 clutch plates. hmmmm... interesting. you're running a single disk right?
Old Jun 25, 2010, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05ah8james
I have this noise with my Quartermaster twin. I expected it though because it has 2 clutch plates. hmmmm... interesting. you're running a single disk right?
Had an Exedy Single, was told it was clutch noise, went to an Exedy Stg 2 with a STOCK re surfaced flywheel.

NO DICE.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 01:44 PM
TS8
Evolving Member

So, I guess guys with ACT clutch don't have this issue??
I'm starting to consider ACT HDSS as my next clutch to rid of the decel noise.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by philevo

This is one of the things that has me most puzzled, what was changed between the years........

Quick Reply: Crazy noises under de-acceleration (vid inside)