Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Crazy noises under de-acceleration (vid inside)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2008, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bill, if your car is supposed to make noises like that, I'm scared of it from now on .
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

That surely sounds like the transfer case to me. Mine was whinning. Then i ran 3 hard launches at the track. Then the whine stopped and it was just doing as your video was.

Then the next day it blew the hell up shifting from 2nd to 3rd and locked up my wheels momentarily. Thank god it was in the rain.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the EXACT sam noise and I have a rebuilt and shimmed TC from Shep with LSD and I also have a PTT Twin Disk with solid hubs and I am used to it now. It does suck but it is the small proce we pay for excellence all around.

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Being the car is gutted and having an aftermarket clutch just amplifies the sound and vibration into the cabin there is no getting around it.

I am very doubful that a rebuilt/shimmed TC is going to do anything to combat the issue but hey what the hell try getting the tranny and TC built and report back I'd be interested to see as well.

This is no related to your exhaust
This is not related to any rubbing due to lowering

It's the nature of the beast and the drivetrain harmonics being fed back through the cabin.

It's a race car live it and love it
Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batty200
I have the EXACT sam noise and I have a rebuilt and shimmed TC from Shep with LSD and I also have a PTT Twin Disk with solid hubs and I am used to it now. It does suck but it is the small proce we pay for excellence all around.
Nice to hear your experience and good to know so that i can put cash into something else besides the TC.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my 0.02 check the carrier bearings in the ends of the driveshaft jack up the car and check to see how much play the driveshaft has...thats where id start
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

You have changed the harmonic characteristics

Originally Posted by revvin9k
All I have is a AMS front motor mount and the Whiteline diff carrier bushings, nothing to casue all the ruckus. The noises were there and I had made a post a long time ago about this.

Several said it was harmonics from my exhaust etc. There is some sort of problem some where. I have been talking back and forth with Jon at TRE, ( I have his Maxx Lock diff on now) and he is also perplexed.

I'll take the suggestion as they come. Thanks.

I have an '03 8 with aftermarket diff bushings and the Buscher mustache bar and I get a lot of noise on decel. The diff bushings are not the same material as stock and therefore will exhibit different acoustical properties. If you want the noise gone, put everything back to stock. The noise will only be there when there is no load on the drivetrain.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Jesus, please tell me you have not sent off your TC and tranny yet. People need to ride in a race car and then they will understand all the various noises they get when they start modifying there car to become more like a race car.

When car manufacturers design a car, they make sure vibrations and harmonics are cancelled out. Otherwise, everyone would bring the car back saying something is wrong with. Rubber bushings play an important role in this, when you start replacing them with aftermarket parts you are changing the acoustical dampening properties. The whiteline bushings and the AMS motormount are transferring vibrations from the diff and engine into body of the vehicle.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my car made a noise like that because the down piple would rattle against the sub frame. it only happened when slowing down. when i would put car on a lift you could not see the clearance issue because the exhaust would shift when car was lifted. took weeks to find that problem. just a long shot but don't overlook anything. good luck.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Try taking the bushing and motor mounts out as others have said, and see if that changes anything. I had a "problem" like yours a while back, and figured out nothing was wrong, the harder bushings just made the car raddle and transfer vibrations more.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mithrandir7533
Jesus, please tell me you have not sent off your TC and tranny yet. People need to ride in a race car and then they will understand all the various noises they get when they start modifying there car to become more like a race car.

When car manufacturers design a car, they make sure vibrations and harmonics are cancelled out. Otherwise, everyone would bring the car back saying something is wrong with. Rubber bushings play an important role in this, when you start replacing them with aftermarket parts you are changing the acoustical dampening properties. The whiteline bushings and the AMS motormount are transferring vibrations from the diff and engine into body of the vehicle.
This isn't my first rodeo buddy. I've had built cars before, none awd, and none exhibited this type of noise. And i've owned cars with full bushings kits, clutches, etc. This noise is awful, and new to me. Hence my post.

NOTE:

I bought the car with this noise. I have been chasing it down since then.

I replaced an Exedy Single to an organic, no dice.

Mustache Bar Eliminator with Whitleline Bushings, no dice.

TRE MAXX Lock rear diff, no dice.

KArtboy exhaust hangars, no dice.

Beatrush aluminum drive shaft bushings, no dice.

I am contempt if this noise is normal. A bit annoyed, but okay with it. The only thing I worry about are others such as "lost spyder" who have had this issue and it has led them to destroyed TC's.

Originally Posted by lost spyder
That surely sounds like the transfer case to me. Mine was whinning. Then i ran 3 hard launches at the track. Then the whine stopped and it was just doing as your video was.

Then the next day it blew the hell up shifting from 2nd to 3rd and locked up my wheels momentarily. Thank god it was in the rain.
Nov 18, 2008 03:21 PM
Old Nov 24, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by revvin9k
This isn't my first rodeo buddy. I've had built cars before, none awd, and none exhibited this type of noise. And i've owned cars with full bushings kits, clutches, etc. This noise is awful, and new to me. Hence my post.

NOTE:

I bought the car with this noise. I have been chasing it down since then.

I replaced an Exedy Single to an organic, no dice.

Mustache Bar Eliminator with Whitleline Bushings, no dice.

TRE MAXX Lock rear diff, no dice.

KArtboy exhaust hangars, no dice.

Beatrush aluminum drive shaft bushings, no dice.

I am contempt if this noise is normal. A bit annoyed, but okay with it. The only thing I worry about are others such as "lost spyder" who have had this issue and it has led them to destroyed TC's.
The main thing to note though is that he experienced a "whine" upon acceleration which is the more typical symptom of worn ring/pinion gears in the TC.

It seems that both yours and mine occur upon decel.

I'm not one to rush into things so i will leave mine alone until the time it croaks
Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

wow that does NOT sound normal. if it is and the day my car starts sounding like that ill sell it.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

I have the same nasty sounding clunking sound on decel.

Never made the sound on a stock clutch.

Installed Tilton 2 years ago and its been there since. I've checked everything a few times and noise is still there. Been driving at over 550 awhp and launches on stock drivetrain and no issues so i guess its normal.

Good luck on finding a fix. I wouldn't mind getting rid of that sound myself.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

the car is just reminding u that its a mitsubishi thats all
Old Nov 25, 2008, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think its normal either. I drive an RS with aftermarket motor bushings, aftermarket shifter bushings, etc and it doesn't make that noise. I guess it could be clutch or flywheel chatter but im not sure...

Quick Reply: Crazy noises under de-acceleration (vid inside)