Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

help my car is cutting out

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2008, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help my car is cutting out

i have alot of basic mods but i dont think they are the prob. cause this just started happening a couple days ago and the mods have been on for a long time.here is what is happening, when i start pulling out and the car builds boost it is fine till around 18psi (i normally run 25psi) then the engine starts stuttering.if you let off the gas and the boost drops back down it will smooth out immediately.if you are not under any load (sitting in neutral or with clutch depressed) and rev it will rev to redline smoothly.so far i have switched out the manual boost controller and it still did the same thing.i checked the diaphram and spring in the wastegate both are fine.i checked all the plugs and they look like they are not burning lean or rich.tested the coil packs with an ohm meter off the car and they are almost exactly the same readings.i am not sure what it could be at this point.the car still drives fine as long as i stay out of it,i am about to install a pte 6765b,i just need to buy a wastegate ,dumptube,injectors and a tune (probably going to switch to a maf pro with speed density)so knowing thats going to happen in the next month i am not stressing too much but if changing all these parts out doesnt fix the problem then i will still need to fix it.i dont know what to check next.any help would be appreciated
Old Nov 15, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How old is your fuel pump?
Old Nov 15, 2008, 07:12 PM

fuel pump

car has 34k on it fuel pump is a walbro 255 lph.i can hear it pumping it is pretty loud.i have another but i dont think thats it.is there a possibility its in the ecu? i disconnected the neg.bat. cable for a couple of hours today but it didnt help.i dont have a check engine light on either
Old Nov 15, 2008, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by evoguy69
car has 34k on it fuel pump is a walbro 255 lph.i can hear it pumping it is pretty loud.i have another but i dont think thats it.is there a possibility its in the ecu? i disconnected the neg.bat. cable for a couple of hours today but it didnt help.i dont have a check engine light on either

i had your same problem got it uned problem solveed
Old Nov 15, 2008, 11:47 PM

Pretty much this condition happens to me too.lol. Sucks! But yeah im waiting to get all my parts and get a tune all at ones and save sum money!!
Old Nov 16, 2008, 07:31 AM

its going into fuel cut get it tuned
Old Nov 16, 2008, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

check your spark plugs. mine always crack on the white and i lose spark.how harsh is the cutout. it could be fuel cut to.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

i had the same problem with my 03 evo tuned for 24psi. few days back i could not boost over 18 psi. car would just shake anything over 18 psi.. did a boost leak test every thing was fine.. no leaks. checked sparkplugs they only had 6000 miles on them and they looked fine. checked coils and wire using a ignition scope and ohm meter and they tested fine. i could rev the car in neutral without any problems. flashed a base map my ecu to see if the map was corrupted . same problem. i had no idiot light on . so i went back to check my coil and wire.. i swapped my coils with my friends coil from his 03 evo and bang car was had no problem boosting 24 psi .. was running like champ again.. my car only had 26000 miles on it and 6000 miles on my tune and i was like wtf the coils got bad in only 26000 miles. Ordered NON cdi COp from sparktech and cars runs fine now .... see u can swap the coils. but again this what solved my problem...
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:56 AM

problems

so you checked out the coil packs and they were ok but you changed them out and it runs fine now?this is exactly yhe same problem and we did the same thing to try to fix it except i have not tried changing the coil packs. i have a feeling it is in the ignition but i am not sure where.i am going to get kasey from spoolnuptuning to have a look at it.if it is the coil packs i am going to try to mod some ls1 packs to work.have to do some research on that .if we can get it going i will post a how to on it.thanks
Old Nov 17, 2008, 11:08 AM

help

ok had a quick tune put on the ecu.the tune was poorly done by a shop beforehand and it should be safe on timing and the a/f ratio looks good.car still has the problem.i am going to change out the plugs even though they look fine.if that doesnt work i am going to try some used coil packs if i can get my hands on some.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 07:24 PM

cutting out

changed out my plugs,car is running much better,still not 100%. i think its in the coil packs.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

my car has the same problem. i'm at 23psi with intake and exhaust and walbro pump. i definitly think that my issue is in the coil packs. i cant decide on which setup to go with though
Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:09 PM

Hmmm.. I wonder what it could be? That's kinda weird, let us know if you figure out what it is..
Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:18 PM

same problem on my lil bros 2g gsx reving fine to redline at a stop but under load it would cut out and i switch out the FPR(fuel pressure regulator) and problem solved!!!!

give it a shot

Last edited by evoprime1; Nov 17, 2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 06:38 AM

Same problem

I have a 03 Evo VIII 67,000 miles 18psi

Weapon Racing CIA
Apexi N1 Catback Exhaust
Weapon Racing Coil Cover/Eqilizer
Magnacore Spark plug wires
Dynotec mail in flash tune
Agp intercooler

I have replaced the throttle body seals and the injector isolator seals, No boost leak when i replaced them, Cleaned MAF.

Engine is fine as long as im not on the throttle, but as soon as i go WOT in any gear and i get to 18PSI the engine stumbles. And the idle will sometimes fall to the 500rpm range after letting the clutch out, after acceleration it would dip down like it wanted to die them come back up to 1000 rpm.

I live in ND and i dont know if the temp change messed up the tune but its really pissing me off. Seems like its been acting up since i replaced one of my EGR valve solenoids!

Quick Reply: help my car is cutting out