Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ebay FMIC toughts?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to spend THEIR own money how ever they please.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

its a pretty good intercooler for stock turbos...eventhough i made 578 with that ebay intercooler....gL
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:09 AM
Former Sponsor

An intercooler is not, "an intercooler" there are differences. What you want to look at is your pressure drop vs your temp drop. In order to get the most efficiency out of your FMIC you want the lowest outlet temps and least amount of resistance.

Quick breakdown:
1) Temps - if you can take 20* degrees F out of the outlet temps you get free power. The air is more dense and you will get more volume. It's like driving your car and boosting in a 85* F day vs 65* F day. The car feels much faster because it's making more power.
2) Pressure drop - This is important especially in a smaller turbocharger because, smaller turbos heat up more since they need to have a higher shaft speed to flow the same amount as a larger turbo. Smaller = more friction = more heat = more air expansion = really need a FMIC to transfer out the heat and bring it back down to size and getting more volume. Now, since the FMIC air passages (Cooling Tubes) are limited the hotter the air temps you start with restricts flow. Basically, it could turn into a never ending cycle with a FMIC that is not efficient. Example: If you have a high pressure drop across the core and since the charged air is already hot. The higher the pressure drop is the more boost you're going to have to run just to force more air through the inlet side of the core. The more boost/air you force = more friction you create = more heat = more air expansion = more resistance = more pressure drop = having to run more boost again.

To top it off if the FMIC can't cool the inlet temps fast enough then you will just compound the problem.

Point is you can see FMIC can make the difference especially on a stock turbo. 20*F is almost a night and day difference. I'm not just talking about stock vs aftermarket FMIC either. I'm talking about performance vs performance FMIC. To get a better idea of what I'm talking about here are some tests Nisei Engineering did a long time ago:

http://www.nisei-evo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26
http://www.nisei-evo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25

Real testing under real conditions! You will notice the temperture and pressure drop difference between these high performance FMIC's. Imagine how bad a stock FMIC is.

Let me know if you have any questions. PM'm works best or call 213-909-8022.

Jed
Old Jan 28, 2009, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

sorry to revive a dieing thread but i read threw all the posts but no one really answered the question, is this ebay ams clone better than running a stock fmic???
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

i had one on my stock 8 turbo 0n 30psi on e85 and it worked great...