Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP Red Turbo & ACT HDSS Clutch

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:24 PM
JKD
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP Red Turbo & ACT HDSS Clutch

Hey guys, I've searched the forums and cannot find much information on this. Since the red is relatively new there isn't many people who have experience with this.

A few months back I purchased a brand new ACT HDSS clutch for my evo with no plans of upgrading to the red (it wasn't out yet) but just settling for a regular IX turbo or a Green. I haven't installed the clutch - it's brand new.

However, with the recent success of the red I've decided to go with one in the next few months.

Ok well, my question is: Will this clutch work with the red turbo on meth (approx. 30 psi). I know the ACT is rated for 497 ft.lbs at the flywheel but will the red eclipse this?

I really hate to have to sell the clutch and go with a different one, but I guess I can do that. It will put me a few months back on my project but I'll do what needs to be done.

*NOTE*

This car will NOT be launched very much if any at all. I do not drag race the evo. It is mainly a track car / fun street driver.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jared
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It should hold. Guys with 35r's run this clutch.

Or u can just try exchanging the disc for the 6-puck sprung. I'm pretty sure its the same pressure plate.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by JKD
Hey guys, I've searched the forums and cannot find much information on this. Since the red is relatively new there isn't many people who have experience with this.

A few months back I purchased a brand new ACT HDSS clutch for my evo with no plans of upgrading to the red (it wasn't out yet) but just settling for a regular IX turbo or a Green. I haven't installed the clutch - it's brand new.

However, with the recent success of the red I've decided to go with one in the next few months.

Ok well, my question is: Will this clutch work with the red turbo on meth (approx. 30 psi). I know the ACT is rated for 497 ft.lbs at the flywheel but will the red eclipse this?

I really hate to have to sell the clutch and go with a different one, but I guess I can do that. It will put me a few months back on my project but I'll do what needs to be done.

*NOTE*

This car will NOT be launched very much if any at all. I do not drag race the evo. It is mainly a track car / fun street driver.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jared
Mine is on the Red with the ACT HDSS clutch, it holds fine. I'm not on meth though and haven't tuned it for anything but pump gas on 25 psi. It holds the 406 whp easily. Also, my friends car made 445 whp on the Red on the stock clutch and it holds fine also. No slip whatsoever.. I'm 95% this clutch will hold this setup easily as long as your good to it.

Hope this helps!

-Billy
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Ive had this clutch for over 2 1/2 years on 350whp and launch it all the time. Now have over 430whp 420 ft-lbs on a Green and its still is holding!!! For the Price i dont think you can get better.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

basically if you can afford an exedy twin hd buy it, if not just keep the act it'll more than likely hold especially since you won't be launching it.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:47 PM
JKD
Evolving Member

Awesome! Thanks for the helpful information. I would like to have had a Twin Disc but funds just don't allow it right now. I guess I'll rock this HDSS and maybe it will last a year or two until I can upgrade way down the road.

Thanks for the helpful insight. So I'm under the impression that limited launching would even be alright? Just for reference I've owned my evo for nearly a year and launched it twice.

How is high RPM shifting with the FP Red turbo and ACT HDSS?
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:50 PM
JKD
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by billy_06EVOIX
Mine is on the Red with the ACT HDSS clutch, it holds fine. I'm not on meth though and haven't tuned it for anything but pump gas on 25 psi. It holds the 406 whp easily. Also, my friends car made 445 whp on the Red on the stock clutch and it holds fine also. No slip whatsoever.. I'm 95% this clutch will hold this setup easily as long as your good to it.

Hope this helps!

-Billy
Glad to see some Tennessee boys reppin' ! I'm right down the road from you
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:52 PM
JKD
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by beemerfreak
It should hold. Guys with 35r's run this clutch.

Or u can just try exchanging the disc for the 6-puck sprung. I'm pretty sure its the same pressure plate.
Cool. Thanks for the help.

I'd rather go with a twin setup than a super aggressive single. I've ran rough singles over the years and really don't want to go back to one. I'd take some twin disc rattle over insane vibrations and chatter anyday. I come from the LS1/LT1 world and used many clutches (SPEC 4, Ram HD, Textrailla, etc.) that were a PITA.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:53 PM
JKD
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo@24psi
Ive had this clutch for over 2 1/2 years on 350whp and launch it all the time. Now have over 430whp 420 ft-lbs on a Green and its still is holding!!! For the Price i dont think you can get better.
That's the news I like to hear! Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2008, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JKD
Awesome! Thanks for the helpful information. I would like to have had a Twin Disc but funds just don't allow it right now. I guess I'll rock this HDSS and maybe it will last a year or two until I can upgrade way down the road.

Thanks for the helpful insight. So I'm under the impression that limited launching would even be alright? Just for reference I've owned my evo for nearly a year and launched it twice.

How is high RPM shifting with the FP Red turbo and ACT HDSS?
ya like the guy above said alot of people rock this clutch and probably about 70-80% launch on it more than a couple of times a month, everyone has the potential to burn the clutch but if you know how to launch then you should be fine launching it a couple of times a month, and thats just being on the safe side.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JKD
Cool. Thanks for the help.

I'd rather go with a twin setup than a super aggressive single. I've ran rough singles over the years and really don't want to go back to one. I'd take some twin disc rattle over insane vibrations and chatter anyday. I come from the LS1/LT1 world and used many clutches (SPEC 4, Ram HD, Textrailla, etc.) that were a PITA.
I know what u mean. I've been running the HDSS for about a year now. Sometimes after agrssive driving I smell the clutch and wish I went with 6-puck for the reasurrance.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:22 PM
JKD
Evolving Member

I hear that man. From my understand the HDSS is suppose to be a very mild, easy to drive docile clutch. I'm looking forward to trying it out. However, I DREAD installing it

Thanks again guys,
Jared