Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

383 WHP with no bottle or piggyback!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2003, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 40 is too large especially with stock head, stock manifold, etc.

I am not keeping the head stock + intake manifold will probably do a forest' ... The Gt40 is for what it will be, not what it is... I have a clearly engineered road map for what I am doing.

You must not be familiar with the new Garretts... The wheels are lighter than the corresponding old wheels for better spoolup, and are more efficient. In Garrett's terminology, wheels are specified by their inducer and exducer diameters, where the inducer part is where air or exhaust enters. So, on the turbine side the inducer diameter is larger than the exducer diameter, and this is reversed on the compressor side. If you take the square of the ratio of the smaller diameter to the larger diameter, times 100, you get the "trim".

Lets just see where I get it to spool after I am done!

On another note...I noticed the following on your website:

HKS EVO GT3037S Turbo Kit will be available in 2 weeks. One kit only available. Special sale; $4750.

Why would I pay you $1500 more for a smaller, less well engineered turbo kit... that ultimately, will be less than I need?

Fyi, I spoke to the AEM tech at AEM and he said it was 4-6 weeks till it is released, please explain.

Mark

Last edited by MMLVMM; Sep 9, 2003 at 05:01 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

And again, was this on race gas or nurmal fuel?
Old Sep 9, 2003, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Mean TT,

The gas was 76' 91 9 gallons + 3 gallons of 76' 100. I have a station down the street with the 100 on pico so that is what I always run!

FYI, the thing is that the motor is running so rich that I could of easily run 2 pounds more and been well over 400 at the wheels.

I just thought I will wait for the computer to do it right. I am not worried about 1.6 bar for the short term with the current a/f levels.

Mark
Old Sep 9, 2003, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

cool, good luck on the project. It iwll be intersting to see the final dyno graphs to see when that tubo finally spools up. But in the mean time, I am sure that you will have plenty of top end power to play with.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PLEASSSSSSEEEE post pictures of the Borla Exhaust i've been waiting for them to release it. I am very urious as to how many bends are in the exhaust and what size piping they used as well as what kind of gains are seen.... More inportantly POST PICS!!! under car pics too
Old Sep 9, 2003, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

MMLVMM - Great numbers! I noticed you are using the AVO intercooler, do you know the CFM rating for it? Could you possibly post up some pics of the car with the intercooler? Is it a kit with piping or just the core?

Also I am not sure if you are aware of this or not but there have been some issues with the stock head bolts not holding up very well after 300whp on this cars, just thought this would be of some help. Some have even gone to the extent of even replacing the rod bolts, dunno though.

Great job and keep us updated!!!
Old Sep 9, 2003, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MMLVMM

Why would I pay you $1500 more for a smaller, less well engineered turbo kit... that ultimately, will be less than I need?
It's only $3250 for the turbo kit you've got on??

Last edited by AvatarOfWar; Sep 9, 2003 at 07:53 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you were really making 380 plus hp - on the stock fuel pump and injectors - you are running the injectors at 100% duty cycles and the stock pump was out of pressure after 340 hp

Also - you would have hit the fuel cut without a piggy back right about 345 hp

I think there is something missing from your equasion
Old Sep 9, 2003, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

just because you read some post that says you got to have 20000 cc injectors...

First of all, just because you read some post that says you got to have 20000 cc injectors and a nuclear powered fuel pump doesn't make it true.

Also, read the post because I clearly mentioned the fuel cut defender.

The car is incredible and has years of performance upgrades and sound engineering behind it. Evo's are seriously overengineered in many areas(except the clutch)

This car is not a suburu!

My car ran what it ran and you are obviously not an automotive design engineer or actually spoken to one about your numbers... otherwise you wouldn't pass off garbage for info.

Yes, Bigger injectors may help at higher levels but I only pulled 383.2 WHP. It did that before my own two eyes.

The shop's silver evo pulled 407 at the wheels with the GT40, exhaust, avo intercooler blitz intake and the STOCK INJECTORS AND FUEL PUMP!

That is what inpired me to do the gt40 in the first place. I am planning to go to 700cc size and a bosch pump for long term reliability. Look at the chart- it pulls linear right to 6700 at 1.6 bar with no signs yet of choking from a lack of fuel.

Lots of stuff is pushed in the name of performance on ignorant types... kind of like unneccesary car repairs or surgury.

That's why you need a reputable shop with a dyno to sort the cherrys from the pits and stay away from bs like you are spouting out

Mark

Last edited by MMLVMM; Sep 9, 2003 at 08:25 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

What oil do you use?
Old Sep 9, 2003, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

oil?

Mobil 1
Old Sep 9, 2003, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

NICE!
Old Sep 9, 2003, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
If you were really making 380 plus hp - on the stock fuel pump and injectors - you are running the injectors at 100% duty cycles and the stock pump was out of pressure after 340 hp

Also - you would have hit the fuel cut without a piggy back right about 345 hp

No Al, something is missing from your equation! A "T". Remove the "S" while you are in there rebuilding the word. Don't forget, not all cars or dynos are equal.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Alfriedesq:

I guess I am puzzled about some things:

a) you got an evo right?

b) you got a lot of stuff free or discounted right?

Originally posted by AlfriedesqSpecial
thanks to my sponsors: NITROUS EXPRESS; ARP; Perrin; Ferrea; Pruven Performance; Tein; RENN-ART in car camera mount; Z1; Oliver Rods, Dyno Flash

c) you even got a turbo kit and managed to make it work?

d) Now you have a really cool car and you are busy ragging on others and spewing ignorance instead of driving it?

Originally posted by Alfriedesq

I am not a negative person but wtf is your problem?

Enjoy having one of the most amazing cars in the world and then having the wherewithawal or sponsorship to have it modded. If you got any info to share that is of value- great ...

Just keep the sorry whining about things you don't understand down... I am sure your sponsors get the plug and your "hook" for them clear and that's cool.

Nothing wrong with showing appreciation. Being negative though, sucks. Don't tarnish the dream that is a highly modded evo with your ignorance

Mark

Last edited by MMLVMM; Sep 9, 2003 at 09:57 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2003, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Very cool, MMLVMM. Thanks for sharing your set-up. Can't wait to see what AEM's ECM does for you.

Quick Reply: 383 WHP with no bottle or piggyback!