Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TOB will not engage!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2008, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOB will not engage!

so the wave washers decided to break on me last week, took out the trans and replaced them along with a new pressure plate... its been a week of this crap and the throw out bearing will not engage... i tested it out outside of the the housing, the bearing engaged, once back in the tranny and on the car the bearing will engage when i push the clutch it then i go to push it in again and it pops right out... i dont know why the deal is... anyone one have this problem? anyone know how to fix it.... ??
Old Nov 20, 2008, 05:15 PM

anyone??
Old Nov 20, 2008, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Drain the transmission, pop the hole off to look inside and see if it engages by moving the clutch fork from position A to B.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by boostinjuice
Drain the transmission, pop the hole off to look inside and see if it engages by moving the clutch fork from position A to B.

dude... i have pulled off the trans and put it back on 7 times today... it is not engaging at all moved the fork back and forth used screw drivers and dont know wtf the deal is... its been a week of screwin with this peice of crap....
Old Oct 14, 2009, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

what was your solution, mine is doing the same
Old Oct 14, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So you mean its just sitting there, the TOB?

I remember taking the clutch arm and shoving the TOB into place with an audible snap once it went in. Since these clutches are pull types it helps if you remove the clutch actuator to get more action so you can set it in the hole.

If its seating and still popping off personally I think its time to get another TOB.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 02:57 PM
Former Sponsor

i had the dealer give me an oem pressure plate before that they said was "compatible" with the 8/9 pressure plate. anotherwords according to their book it said either part number can be used. after i put the clutch in, the clutch fork would catch by hand, but once i hit the pedal it would pop off again. after messing with it a few times i compared it to the one i took out and noticed the center ring where the fingers are was thicker, and the TOB wasn't catching. i exchanged the pressure plate for the orginial part number listed and it worked fine. a little while later i realized i think they gave me an evo X pressure plate, because they are nearly identical, but don't work together.

if i were you i would first check to make sure you aren't hitting the ring when you put the tranny back in for starters (you have to be careful not to touch it). make sure the ring isn't damaged, and then make sure the parts are the correct parts.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 04:36 AM
Evolved Member

Problem/Solution:
Shortly after I posted this, I realized that I had been sent the wrong pressure plate. The one I was sent was xxxxxx027, and the one I pulled off the car(OEM) was xxxxxx019. The difference between the two seems to only be that there is an additional ring between the wedge collar wafer springs and the ring around the pressure plates fingers. This additional ring makes the wedge collar sit up about an eighth of an inch higher, and impedes the TOB from fully engaging the wedge collar's retaining ring. I picked up the proper xxxx019 pressure plate, and after I bolted the tranny back up to the block, the tob snapped right on the wedge collar with one gentle push of the fork.

P.S. The vendor I purchased from most likely sends out the wrong pressure plate to everyone, which is why so many people are having the same issues with having to bend the tabs on the wedge collar. Again, the xxxxxx027 pressure plate looks identical to the correct xxxxxx019 one except there is a small additional ring under the wedge collar, so most people probably do not realize they have the wrong part.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like you need to start over and make sure all is well in there. It sucks but I think we have all had to do it once before
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:09 PM

I've never done a clutch job before so I don't know the specifics like you guys. But before you knew that your TOB will not engage, what were the symptoms you had before you went looking at the TOB? Did your gears not shift when the car is ON and shifts fine when car is OFF? I have this problem now and would like to know if that was the cause and fix. Any help is appreciative.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 92gsxbaltimore
Problem/Solution:
Shortly after I posted this, I realized that I had been sent the wrong pressure plate. The one I was sent was xxxxxx027, and the one I pulled off the car(OEM) was xxxxxx019. The difference between the two seems to only be that there is an additional ring between the wedge collar wafer springs and the ring around the pressure plates fingers. This additional ring makes the wedge collar sit up about an eighth of an inch higher, and impedes the TOB from fully engaging the wedge collar's retaining ring. I picked up the proper xxxx019 pressure plate, and after I bolted the tranny back up to the block, the tob snapped right on the wedge collar with one gentle push of the fork.

P.S. The vendor I purchased from most likely sends out the wrong pressure plate to everyone, which is why so many people are having the same issues with having to bend the tabs on the wedge collar. Again, the xxxxxx027 pressure plate looks identical to the correct xxxxxx019 one except there is a small additional ring under the wedge collar, so most people probably do not realize they have the wrong part.
I can attest to this. Just helped a friend put in a clutch and the tob popped out after everything was back together with a couple pushes of the clutch pedal. Upon taking everything back out, sure enough there was a small extra ring on the wedge collar that was not allowing the tob to seat. Be carefull I was highly pissed when this happened.