Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

valve train noise issue/or not?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2008, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
valve train noise issue/or not?

I have an IX with a Megan header, when I installed the header it amplified some valve train noise. This was to be expected and I considered it normal. Now I just installed Supertech single valve springs while using factory cams. I have a FP red going in soon and I want a little more RPM capacity, the rotational assembly is also capable of more RPM now. The valve train noises that were typically faint are now much louder. It kind of has the sound of a VW diesel, but only at throttle tip in around 2-3K RPM. The ECU is reading knock at this range, nothing crazy like 2-3 counts. No irregular sound at idle, WOT, or revving the engine up. After the first start up and drive I rechecked the timing belt position, which was fine. I’m going to take the valve cover off tomorrow to inspect it further. This does not sound like the classic valve lash adjuster tick.

Has anyone else noticed an increase in valve train noise with upgraded springs/retainers on factory cams? Has anyone upgraded springs on factory cams? Is this noise just normal or have anything to do with the mivec or hollow cams?
Old Nov 28, 2008, 10:53 AM

I just completed the drop-in piston rod combo, so after driving for 150 miles I pulled the oil pan to check how the rod bearings looked. The bearings look great and the oil pan is clean. I also removed the valve cover and found nothing out of the order. I just don’t get it?? The sound is coming from under the valve cover only at throttle tip in??? I turned the engine over slowly and checked each rocker/valve lash adjuster and they were all tight? The cam bearing caps are tight too. Any help would be appreciated, any thoughts or ideas?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 07:15 PM

Your thread's the only one I've found on here thats anywhere close to describing my problem. Did you figure it out in the end?

Within the first month of getting my evo 5, every now and then if I started the engine after it had been sitting for at least 3-4 hours it would make a hollow tick/rattle noise only between 2k-3.5k revs for about 5-10 minutes and then disappear. I had to take it to the dealers mechanic for a cam seal oil leak issue about 2 months after buy the car, and I asked the mechanic, who used to work for Rallyart, to look into the noise while he had it. He said it was a lash adjuster and told me it'll only make noise, it's not worth replacing.
I left it at that, but over the next few months it got louder and louder to the point where it sounded like the engine was going to konk out any minute. It would still go away after a while, but driving around when it was doing it was embarrassing.
My own mechanic put in some oil additive that's meant to help fix some lash adjuster noises. It may have been coincidence but for the next 2 days I didn't hear the noise, but on the third day it started coming back, but a lot quieter. Every day after that it got a bit louder until about 5 or 6 days from putting the additive in it was as noisy as before.
About 2 weeks ago when the noise started it didn't go away, though it did get slightly quieter after a while. I decided to try and find the bad lash adjuster and replace it myself.
I took out and checked all lash adjusters, all were solid as a rock.
Funny thing is the noise was still there straight after putting the cover back on, but the next day the noise was gone. The day after that, the noise is starting to come back again, though quieter. Kind of like when my mechanic put the additive in the oil.
Could it maybe be something to do with the oil channels for the lash adjusters?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nibble99
Your thread's the only one I've found on here thats anywhere close to describing my problem. Did you figure it out in the end?
He started that thread like 6 years ago. I sure hope he figured it out by then.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by TommiM
He started that thread like 6 years ago. I sure hope he figured it out by then.
Good point. I guess the more relevant questions would be can you remember what you did, and are you still active on these forums?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Bumping up the old thread.

Does the issue still persists ?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:06 AM

not sure
Old Dec 29, 2014, 01:13 PM

Mine does.
The next thing I'm going to try that a mechanic friend suggested is buy another 3 lash adjusters and replace all 4 for cylinder 1, then shift them to cylinder 2, then 3 etc. until the noise goes away. Saves having to buy all 16 lash adjusters.

I'll let you know how it goes, when I get around to doing it.