Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What Is my best option in my Situation.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question What Is my best option in my Situation.

Hey Guys,

I have and '06 MR and after a launch yesterday my clutch started to slip . I have a small dilema now because i have heard that the 6 spds are know to go. I wanted to go with a ACT Heavy Duty, StreetLite Flywheel and a Full disc Combo..Also i have the Buschur Under the hood bushings and i m planning to go with the Works shortshifter.. My question isam i wasting my time with thw 6spd? I Dont plan on going over 400whp

Is the clutch Kit Good?
I dont normally drive the car HARD once in a while Dragstrip and those street races in MEXICO once in a blue moon..
Old Nov 28, 2008, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63K
Hey Guys,

I have and '06 MR and after a launch yesterday my clutch started to slip . I have a small dilema now because i have heard that the 6 spds are know to go. I wanted to go with a ACT Heavy Duty, StreetLite Flywheel and a Full disc Combo..Also i have the Buschur Under the hood bushings and i m planning to go with the Works shortshifter.. My question isam i wasting my time with thw 6spd? I Dont plan on going over 400whp

Is the clutch Kit Good?
I dont normally drive the car HARD once in a while Dragstrip and those street races in MEXICO once in a blue moon..
The 6 speeds are a bad shift in 3rd or 4th to breaking. Its all about how you drive your car. If you drag race it WILL eventually break.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Do you want to replace your tranny, or would you rather replace your clutch, perform proper maintence and enjoy saving a bunch of money? Having a built 5 speed doesn't mean you can drive like an asshat and have everything be fine. Also, having a 6 speed doesn't mean your tranny and t-case will explode the first time you sneeze at it. Buy what you fell is appropriate for your driving style, but whatever you do, perform regular fluid changes.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Well so far since i got the car I raced in Mexico maybe 6-7 times.. I want to take the car to the Drag Strip and to a Road Course at least once just for the expiriance. I just did The whole fluid change in the car including T-case, Tranny, Read Diff. and Motor. and i plan on keeping up with all my routine Maintnance. (I've had the car abour 4 months)

My plans for the car Preformance wise are as follows:

Buschur Intake
Buschur TBE
Buschur o2 Housing
ETS Intercooler Kit with UICP & LICP
I havent decided what cams to go with yet.
Forge Manual Boost Controller
Walboro 225 Fuel Pump
Ivey Tuned.. around 23psi
Old Nov 29, 2008, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

ttt
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:00 PM

I have an 06 MR and I love it. The 6-speeds are known to be a little weaker because you are cramming more gear in the same amount of space meaning they have to be a little smaller, but they aren't "weak". Yes, obviously beating your car to a pulp all the time you will break something without a doubt, but under 400hp you should be just fine. I make in the mid 300's and I race my car at the track and in Mexico quite a bit, haha. Never had any problems and I'm at about 50k miles. Only suggestion is, I have heard rumors of ACT clutches being problematic as far as locking out and breaking your tranny, so to avoid any of that, go with a clutchmasters.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:19 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
To the OP:

You'll be fine with the 6 speed as long as you are not road racing. As far as the WORKS short throw shifter is concerned; you are aware only an authorized WORKS dealer can preform the install right?

Originally Posted by Phenixfyah
The 6 speeds are a bad shift in 3rd or 4th to breaking. Its all about how you drive your car. If you drag race it WILL eventually break.
Without monster horsepower I doubt you'll break it drag racing. Warrtalon was the perfect example, I think he had 200+ passes on his 6 speed prior to going to a 5 speed.

Road racing is another story.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the opinions guys. I know about the works short shifter. Prefomance Motorsports on LI will do it, thay charge like $320 for the shifter and the install.
Also i was looking at a number of clutches for the car but none of the specify the clutch being for the MR

Last edited by 4G63K; Nov 29, 2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

ttt