Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

White smoke issued

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White smoke issued

Hey guys,

The Evo's sat for a few days and for some reason the lid of the airbox was off and the filter exposed. I have a CF hood so water got into the intake box. Long story short. My wife goes to take off for work and tells me the car is smoking and bucking so she's driving the S2000. We did get a good bit of rain last night. I go out to check on the car, it starts up fine, i take the filter into the house to dry it off. About two hours later I put it back in the car and drive off. I see the white smoke and get the bucking as soon as i get into boost. So i pull over and pop the hood, i free rev it slightly and get some smoke. I drove some more and got a little more smoke. Eventually i pulled over and turned down the boost controller (around 13psi) just incase. I never got over 13PSI before I got the smoke anyway but i just felt like the smart thing to do would be to turn it down. I start off again and got a little more smoke and some bucking, after about 5 miles of driving total, there was no more smoke, and car seems fine. The air filter was not drenched, but it was wet. There was a small amount of water in the bottom of the airbox.

My question to you guys is what should I watch out for? The car rarely sees any boost at all as my wife drives it most days. The Turbo has never seen over 19.5 PSI. Car starts with no issue, idles well, the only CEL i have is do to a lack of cat. She has the car at her workplace now, about 6 miles away. Is there anything I should do asap? Change the oil or something? Anh input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wrxem
Old Nov 29, 2008, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
check plugs, oil change, clean maf. If anything run some seafoam if the first 3 mentioned doesn't help.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Changing the oil today, and checking the plugs. The car is still running great, i just want to go the extra mile to make sure it continues to run great :-P Thanks for the advice!
Old Nov 29, 2008, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

youll be fine dont worry about it if it was bad it would of been done already
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

you probably got some water down in the inlet tube for the turbo. the water is going to sit at the lowest point until you build enough boost to push it through the rest of the intake track and into the motor. i would disconnect the lower intercooler hoses just to make sure there is no water at the bottom of the intercooler. if you have a venting blow off valve check to see if you have any moisture coming out of it when you rev the engine. good luck.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

take intake off and check for shaftplay
Old Nov 29, 2008, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

You have nothing to worry about. There are plenty of people on this board that intentionally pump water and other liquids into the intake.