Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

No easy way to say this but I put a rod through my block

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2008 | 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

No easy way to say this but I put a rod through my block

Still digging into it all to see if I can find exactly what it might have been but I can tell you it happened at about 3000-4000rpm, about 40mph 36,000miles on the motor. Just had head work done and figured I would not do the bottom end. Now trying to figure out what I am going to plan on doing with the car.
Old Nov 29, 2008 | 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Yikes! Sorry to hear.... I'd guess the failure was somehow related to the headwork. Maybe a change in compression ratio or improper reinstallation. Well, good luck!
Old Nov 29, 2008 | 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

DAMMNNNN sorry to hear that man! That really is the pits
Old Nov 29, 2008 | 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

ya its not fun now just trying to figure how I am going to put it all back together and with what and not. already got allot of stuff in it and on it, and its just such a fun car, I love it, even though its not doing me much good now :-) I will have pics for people later once I get the head off and such. And of course the hole in the side of the block
Old Nov 29, 2008 | 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear, hope you get it all sorted out.
Old Nov 29, 2008 | 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Good luck from a fellow RR Evo owner.

It's definetly rare to hear about a rod being thrown at such RPM's as you stated; most rod failures are due to people over-reving.
Old Nov 29, 2008 | 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 6-speed
Good luck from a fellow RR Evo owner.

It's definetly rare to hear about a rod being thrown at such RPM's as you stated; most rod failures are due to people over-reving.

Another RR Evo here .

I did the same last year. Put the rod thru the block cruising in traffic about 35-40 mph i think in 3rd gear.

But I believe my failure to be from abuse , when I drive the Evo it gets abused in some topend type of stuff and 1/4 mile abuse. I believe I hurt the motor the last time I was at the track.

I didnt drive it for a few weeks after toook it out cause I had to do a alittle running and bam on the way home that rod wanted out like a ***** sucka

Oh AND I would highly recommend a Buschur Racing Stage 3 block !!!!

Last edited by steelcityevo8; Nov 29, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2008 | 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear but some more info would be helpful. Mods/Abuse/Maint ???
Old Nov 29, 2008 | 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

"Throwing a leg out of bed."

Ouch.

Good luck with the rebuild.
Old Nov 29, 2008 | 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Maintenance was as good as it gets, oil on time, new plugs were in, Mods well thats the fun stuff, meth, cams 280 272 HKS, exedy twin, upgraded springs retainers, exhaust, tru boost, nothing crazy been at 22 pounds while clutch was broken in so not much at all and I have been on the low setting of 20, self tune (ya I know might be the problem but I have been doing it for sometime and all has gone well, very well. walbro, lightened pulley, intake, ic piping, I am starting to think maybe it was my mivec map for some reason, I did have my number up on the mivec for the cams to lop nice, maybe too much, anyone know if that can be the cause? I mean it was not crazy high just a little. On the top end I have two of the cam rockers poped off the springs and such. anyone know what that means? or is that something normal when a piston gets broken in half. abuse well not too much I mean I enjoy my car hit it a little hard on the weekends but not all the time and really not that hard, I did blow a head gasket a while back but that was because of boost spike, bad boost controller. Fixed that and understood that one so now i need to figure the next problem out. Thanks for the info everyone much needed and loved. and RR is the way to go :-)

Originally Posted by zbomb
Sorry to hear but some more info would be helpful. Mods/Abuse/Maint ???
Old Nov 29, 2008 | 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Rockers off...if usually from over reving and floating the valves, could have been the piston hitting the valves in your case with the broken one.
Old Nov 29, 2008 | 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

ya I wish it was something as easy to say as over reved, but really it was not at all as I said about 4000 rpm max
Old Nov 29, 2008 | 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

how? who tuned your car? and what mods?, drag races?

Mods well thats the fun stuff, meth

METH FAILURE FTL!
Old Nov 29, 2008 | 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Not from a Meth failure. and I have the other stuff listed. I have not been boosting the car much because of just getting some work done and breaking it in, meth has actually been off and very mild tune.

Last edited by DIDYSIS; Nov 29, 2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2008 | 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Basically it comes down to power vs rpm. If you have been beating the snot out of it and making decent power. The rods are the weak link.

That rod probably was just a ticking timebomb. It had enuff. Probably hurt it somewhere along the way