Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Question about 5 and 6 Speed Transmissions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2008, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question about 5 and 6 Speed Transmissions

I have a few questions about the Evo 8 and 9's 5 speed and 6 speed transmissions.

1. Other than gearing, is there any differences between the 8 and 9 transmission.

2. Is there any difference in the transmission, other than the gears, internally or externally. Another way to put it, could you take all the gears/internals out of a 6 speed that the case was broken and put it into a good 5 speed case.

3. Is it possible or has anyone swapped gears out of the 3g Eclipse's 4g64 transmission or the Ralliart 4g69 transmission and used them in the Evo's 5 speed transmission or the other way around. Also, can any gears from 5 speed fit in the 6 Speed for different gearing?

I am attempting to find a way to convert a FWD transmission into evo gearing at either the 5 speed or 6 speed level. I didn't find any threads on the board about compairing that really answered my question. If there is a thread, I missed and this one can be closed. Thanks for any help.