Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Misfire with CDI COP system..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2008 | 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Misfire with CDI COP system..

I am looking for any ideas as to why my car is misfiring. When I have my stock coils on my car I can run 20-22 psi all the way to redline. When I swap to my new CDI COP system, I get misfires from 7k to 8.4k same boost and same tune. Ive reinstalled the system and reseated the coils several times, checked the springs, checked the boots. I also checked all the connectors, reconnected power and ground.

I have a track event this Saturday and I'm trying to run more than 26-27 psi that I ran last time. I thought this ignition would resolve that issue, however, its only made it worse.
Old Dec 4, 2008 | 06:34 PM
Former Sponsor

explain what was going previous to switching to the COP.. If you were getting a misfire at 26-27 psi before the COP you have an issue.. Did you have a DLI on when you were getting misfires after 27psi?? I ran 37psi w/o misfire on DLI..

Mike
Old Dec 4, 2008 | 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

I was runing the stock ignition on race gas at 26-27 psi at the track and anything above that I would start to misfire. On pump gas (91 oct) I was able to run 23 psi before the ignition would break up. I swapped over to my new CDI COP system and on pump gas I am running 20psi and the ignition is breaking up. No boost leaks, new plugs. I switched back to my stock ignition a few minutes ago and the car can handle 23psi with not misfires.
Old Dec 4, 2008 | 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by RiversideMitsu
I was runing the stock ignition on race gas at 26-27 psi at the track and anything above that I would start to misfire. On pump gas (91 oct) I was able to run 23 psi before the ignition would break up. I swapped over to my new CDI COP system and on pump gas I am running 20psi and the ignition is breaking up. No boost leaks, new plugs. I switched back to my stock ignition a few minutes ago and the car can handle 23psi with not misfires.

I used to have the same issues and ended breaking a piston , when i took the engine apart i had a clogged injector, it flowed 23% less.
Old Dec 4, 2008 | 06:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Edit**

Last edited by AWD Motorsports; Dec 4, 2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2008 | 06:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by c_penson
I used to have the same issues and ended breaking a piston , when i took the engine apart i had a clogged injector, it flowed 23% less.

But did your issue resolve before you broke the piston by just switching to stock coils?? thats what doesnt add up..

Mike
Old Dec 4, 2008 | 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Check your in box for pm's. I'd rather not post the brand for now because I don't want people drawing conclusions.
Old Dec 4, 2008 | 06:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Check your in box for pm's. I'd rather not post the brand for now because I don't want people drawing conclusions.
Got the PM.. i dont have much advice considering the stock coils resolve the issue.. Contact the company that makes the COP is my only advice.. wish i had more to offer..

Mike
Old Dec 4, 2008 | 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, switching to the stock coil and resolving the misfire would eliminate the injectors. It has to be the new COP system. I just need to figure out were I am going wrong with the install or maybe just a bad coil.
Old Dec 4, 2008 | 06:58 PM
EvoM Guru

EDIT: At second glance, I see that you are NOT having issues with the stock coils.

Go back and verify that.
Old Dec 4, 2008 | 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Just throwin this out there but how are your plugs?
what brand and gap do you run.

Have you taken em out and inspected the ends.
Old Dec 4, 2008 | 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
EDIT: At second glance, I see that you are NOT having issues with the stock coils.

Go back and verify that.
Stock coils are running perfect up to 23-24 just like always. Logs confirm not one misfire. I did quite a few pulls to confirm this. Also I dont feel any misfire with the finely tuned butt dyno haha, JK. Thanks so much for the responses :P. I have work tonight and I skipped sleep to try and figure out how to fix this for the track on Saturday. I was so pumped cause I got my traction issues under control (BFG drags) and I thought I had my ignition issues resolved...
Old Dec 4, 2008 | 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SICK9
Just throwin this out there but how are your plugs?
what brand and gap do you run.

Have you taken em out and inspected the ends.
Plugs are brand new bp8es and are gaped correctly.
Old Dec 4, 2008 | 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

just shortend the spring for the coil to spark plug connection. brb test drive.
Old Dec 4, 2008 | 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Nope, still the same.... well time to swap back to my stock ignition.

Quick Reply: Misfire with CDI COP system..