Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Which one???
ARC
4.12%
AMS
22.68%
NISEI
11.34%
ETS
36.60%
BUSCHUR
25.26%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

What InterCooler To Buy?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ETS Michael
Tookinkee -

What are your horse power goals? Do you plan on staying with the stock turbo? If you do, I recommend going with our 3.5" intercooler. The 3.5" will bolt directly behind the crash beam with no cutting required. Also since you have an Evolution 9 I would recommend going with our 3.5" widetank over the standard tank. The Bumper opening on the Evolution 9 bumper is 24" wide and tapers down to 22". This is why we designed an intercooler with 22" surface area (it does no good running 2" of core behind the bumper, when you could have bigger tanks and better flow distribution) just for the 9's. If you plan on upgrading to a red or bigger I would recommend going with the 4.0" widetank intercooler. This will require minor trimming to the bumper beam or spacers behind the crash beam to allow the intercooler to fit.

We can also build our intercoolers with a Garrett core if desired. We recommend the ETS core, but we understand that certain customers want Garrett cores. The price is the same no matter which core you choose.

If you have any questions regarding our intercoolers or which intercooler will fit your needs best, please give me a call or pm.

Thanks for your time!

Michael
For the simple fact that you chimed in to address the concerns of the original poster made me want to check out the ETS website. I am in search of a new FMIC as well and I was considering the new BR BMIC as a deployment gift. I know I need another FMIC because I'm going with the BBK Full/E85 set up with a cam upgrade (GSC S1 to Kelford) along with a few other "go fast" goodies. If the ETS (I'd rather have the 4") FMIC fits the bill then you can count me in.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just cut the core for my new intercooler at work today. Working for an intercooler builder is a good thing sometimes. Anyway, my core is an API 24x4.5x13. I went and looked at Buschur's site, which was my first time on there oddly, and found that his big boy race daddy core is the same dimension as the one I chose.

So being that we apparently were thinking along the same lines for at least a few minutes, I'll go with DB.

/brox
Old Dec 9, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because you asked, a friend of mine ran the perrin on his 9 because ti was the biggest IC availible when the 9's first dropped, now he's planning to run the Buschur Race, and I plan to run the same IC as well

BR ALL DAY!
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by pure_evo
For the simple fact that you chimed in to address the concerns of the original poster made me want to check out the ETS website. I am in search of a new FMIC as well and I was considering the new BR BMIC as a deployment gift. I know I need another FMIC because I'm going with the BBK Full/E85 set up with a cam upgrade (GSC S1 to Kelford) along with a few other "go fast" goodies. If the ETS (I'd rather have the 4") FMIC fits the bill then you can count me in.
The 4" ETS intercooler would be a great choice for your setup. The price is $699.00, if you have any questions regarding our intercoolers let me know!

Thanks for checking out our site.

Michael
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:10 AM

****, thats a good price, ima check it out
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

buschur is the way to go its high price buts its top of the line i think
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:37 PM

i went with slow boy racing, fits nice, and you can keep the crash beam. no trimming.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Perrin, Nisei, and ETS are my 3 favorite intercoolers. I went with the Perrin due to price; but all will perform very well and I know I would have been happy with any of them.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ETS Michael
The 4" ETS intercooler would be a great choice for your setup. The price is $699.00, if you have any questions regarding our intercoolers let me know!

Thanks for checking out our site.

Michael
This is right off the BR site (I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules): The Buschur Racing BFIC ($849) speaks for itself. Measuring in at an astounding 24" x 13" x 4 1/2" this new intercooler is rated at a ridiculous 1300 hp. This is our largest front mount intercooler (BR Race; $799) that we offer for the Evolution. The core measures in at 24" x 13" x 4". Maybe I went to the wrong portion of the ETS site as it mentioned FMIC kits running $879. In this thread are we talking about the IC only as the ETS site has the wide tank intercoolers selling for $499. If so, will it work with my current Injen IC piping?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Go with the Buschur Race. Everyone I know either has it and loves it, or wants it! The BFIC they make in my opinion is overrated. 9sec9s car made 727 on a HTA86 and doesnt heat soak on the race intercooler. And it can be fit behind the crash beam. There is a pic on here somewhere with VWJeffs car with it and the crash beam installed.

Hands down the Race is the best money can buy!

And Daves tests arent flawed, Ive seen him run his tests, he straps it down and runs it just like he does every car on the dyno. He just gives the straight facts. His testing is why he has so many 9 second customers and why his car is so fast. Their stuff simply works amazing!
Old Dec 17, 2008, 08:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by pure_evo
This is right off the BR site (I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules): The Buschur Racing BFIC ($849) speaks for itself. Measuring in at an astounding 24" x 13" x 4 1/2" this new intercooler is rated at a ridiculous 1300 hp. This is our largest front mount intercooler (BR Race; $799) that we offer for the Evolution. The core measures in at 24" x 13" x 4". Maybe I went to the wrong portion of the ETS site as it mentioned FMIC kits running $879. In this thread are we talking about the IC only as the ETS site has the wide tank intercoolers selling for $499. If so, will it work with my current Injen IC piping?
We sell the intercooler only on the site for the following prices. If the pipes work with the stock intercooler, they will work with our intercooler. I would recommend checking out our LP2 LICP if you are running an Injen pipe. The Injen pipe does neck down causing a restriction in the intercooler system.

3.0" - $499.00
3.5" - $599.00
4.0" - $699.00
5.0" - $899.00

We can also add 3.0" in/out for an additional $50.00.

Thanks,

Michael
Old Dec 17, 2008, 09:37 AM

i love my ets 3.5 inch front mount. pushed over 500whp no problem.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:25 AM

at least 3.5" not less and you should be fine.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Why is the ARC core even an option? All it is is a show-ho piece.

I personally run an ETS 3.5" wide tank. No issues whatsoever. I was able to run more timing and more boost without any added knock. Also, I hit full boost in the same spot before and after the install, so there was no loss there. No cutting of anything required, just bolted right up with no issues. I could also run my undertray if I wanted to.

The Buschur core is magnificent, and would be the intercooler I'd be running if I didn't have the ETS. It is VERY well proven, more proven than any other intercooler on the market.

AMS is another well proven intercooler. Their products and the performance from them speaks for itself.

These would be the three intercoolers I'd recommend.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Nisei or ETS

Quick Reply: What InterCooler To Buy?