Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Why so much hate for the Injen SRI+ piping?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2008, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why so much hate for the Injen SRI+ piping?

just curious.

everywhere i see people saying that no1 should buy the injen intake plus full piping...
Old Dec 6, 2008, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought the Injen UICP + intake kit back in the day and it was way over priced from the speed shop in TN. (Full retail, I was stupid back then! well stupider LOL) The inside of the intake is a very rough casting although it didn't seem to mess with my MAF readings and it had the nipples for all of the factory hoses (hence the CARB exemption). The UICP piping itself isn't bad if you are still running the factory battery in stock location but there are shorter solutions that eliminate some bends and a good bit of pipe. Also there wasn't any bead rolling around the edges of where the two upper pieces came together and they blew apart on mine until I "flanged" it myself. Anything that eliminates as much of the stock coupling as possible is a good thing. The stock rubber couplings expand A LOT under high boost pressures. LICP is debatable if you are still running the stock turbo. Some will say that as long as you are running the stock turbo outlet pipe the stock LICP is fine. I did notice some gains in spool when I switched to the AMS LICP. Hope this has helped some.

Josh
Old Dec 6, 2008, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Its junk, is the quick answer.

detailed is something like: weld quality, what the intake does to the stock MAF, fitment, thin wall aluminum, etc.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

After seeing how cheap the injen set up was I was going to use it, now after researching it alittle I'm only using ETS, got the new LICP today and will be ordering the rest next week. ETS quality and service is top notch!
Old Dec 6, 2008, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was a big believer of the Injen setup, until it cracked and blew apart on me. The lower IC pipe will not fit right unless you hack your turbo outlet pipe. The upper pipe fits weird too. The intake is a HKS copy, and not finished well.

I've seen a couple kits in person now, and they are not consistent with one another at all.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Spish
After seeing how cheap the injen set up was I was going to use it, now after researching it alittle I'm only using ETS, got the new LICP today and will be ordering the rest next week. ETS quality and service is top notch!

be careful with the ETS intake. I had one and it never seem to run right
Old Dec 6, 2008, 05:30 PM

I just picked up the injen intake + Upper/lower int. piping kit and I like it. I agree that the lower INT. pipe could fit a bit better. Where it slips into the 45 degree coupler on the Intercooler, it goes in on an angle, meaning you really have to crank on the clamp to seal it off. I already blew off my lower INT pipe once. From that I learned and junked the SH*TTY hose clamp it came with for T-Bolts. As far as the intake and upper INT pipe, the fitment was very good, and it works well with my MAF. Noticable gains were experienced to boot!
Old Dec 6, 2008, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you chop an inch off your stock turbo outlet pipe, the lower IC pipe will fit better, and give you more gains. just don't chop the last rolled part of the stock pipe.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by nightwalker
if you chop an inch off your stock turbo outlet pipe, the lower IC pipe will fit better, and give you more gains. just don't chop the last rolled part of the stock pipe.
Ok Cool...I thought about it because it looked like it would have worked, but didn't want to go hacking anything untill I heard it from someone else. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2008, 01:07 AM

i see, what about the the ETS kit? i am really considering the HKS racing intake, but i know the filter is a dirt catcher, so i would seal it in a custom airbox.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 04:17 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by captainA
i am really considering the HKS racing intake, but i know the filter is a dirt catcher, so i would seal it in a custom airbox.
Why go through heroic measures to make a part work, when you can get something that works well to begin with? If I can make a suggestion, you'd be much better off buying from an Evo-specific vendor who's tested his parts on many Evos just like yours.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Its junk, is the quick answer.

detailed is something like: weld quality, what the intake does to the stock MAF, fitment, thin wall aluminum, etc.

Interesting John, I wouldn't have thought you would have said that. After I read that, I went out and looked at my Injen set-up which is no longer on my car because I custom built my stuff now.

The Weld Quality is there, absolutley no problem with mine what-so-ever. It actually looks better than most other pieces I have ever bought. I was able to rescale my intake easily with the injen set-up, and it worked really well. Fitment was the only gripe I had, but only because my specific car was basturdized by me, as I was trying to deviate from the norm.

I just measured the thickness of the pipe, and it was 1.8mm thick. This is actually better than average and what most others use. Most I have seen are 1.5mm.

I am not sure if Injen ever changed things around, but at least the kit I had I was happy with, for awhile until I decided to make all my own piping. Makes me wonder if the very first generations of the Injen stuff was good, and then they cheapened out.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 07:21 AM

^^Mine is thick as well. I just picked it up a few weeks ago. I agree with everything you've said...great welds, and looks awesome! Definately enhances the underhood appeal. Like I said, the lower INT. pipe could fit a little better, but you can make it work and that kit is well worth the money.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

I thought the injen pipe kit was of smaller diameter than most other kits. I run the ets uicp, licp, and maf adaptor with no issues. I blew my licp off when I switched to a larger fmic, but that was my fault for not cranking the band down.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

I can attest to the intake portion throwing off the maf signal pretty bad. I took the intake piece off and swapped my stocker back on (with some ingenious creation to get my diverter in the right spot) and it ended up leaning out my tune so bad that I couldn't even take it over 50% throttle. After I retuned it, Evoscan showed me a slight bump in pressure (~+1.5psi over the injen) and a significant change in load percentages hit (with the Injen piece I would spike 25psi @ a max of ~255% load, now with stock I spike ~26ish psi @ ~278% load...big difference, one that I felt in the car as well).

Quick Reply: Why so much hate for the Injen SRI+ piping?