Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

turbo restrictor plate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2003, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo restrictor plate

Ok, before anyone flames me, I absolutely DID search for this topic and found the thread that discussed this back in May.

Anyway, I was at the track tonight and it turns out that a service manager was there running an Evo, which is just mind blowing after seeing that is taking spy photos of Evos at drag strips. He definately works at a dealership, he was still in his "uniform" and gave me a business card, he's actually the son of the owner of the dealership. Anyway, we were chatting about Evos and he mentioned this so called restrictor plate, which I never heard of. He said it's a 30 hp gain and an easy fix. There was someone else with him dressed up in Mitsu clothing, I think he was a manager of some kind, and he was totally agreeing with what this guy was telling me. So did anyone ever investigate this further? I know someone pulled his apart and he didn't have this "plate" and the thread pretty much ended there, but what if it was the newer, more recent Evos built later this year that got this done instead of the older ones that first rolled out of the factory? Engineering is usually a constant process in car manufacturing, with changes here and there for what ever reason. Changing a gasket or "plate" wouldn't cost that much and probably could be done relatively easily.

Or maybe I'm just thinking to hard over this, because this same guy couldn't break out of the 15's and ended up smoking his clutch so bad that smoke was billowing out from under the car.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 03:13 AM
Evolving Member

Lots of claims. No proof.

The Definitive Thread
Old Sep 10, 2003, 10:10 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I clearly remember that first one. This thread needs to die a horrible death before it ever escalates to what that one did.

So many turbos have already been pulled from the stock motor. Unless it was described incorrectly and is eluding every tuner.. Or they swore some uber secret Klingon oath to not tell the general public, you can chalk this one up as hype!
Old Sep 10, 2003, 10:30 AM
In Timeout

Hahaha...15's this guy is a worse driver than me and thats saying alot
Old Sep 10, 2003, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Bah - I'll bite already.

There is nothing behind the turbo or visably in the intake track - I replaced everything with a turbo back and had lots of bits out. There doesn't appear to be anything in front of the turbo, either. There's only one gasket between the intake and the turbo on top, not a sandwitch like you'd expect to see with a restrictor.

A small posibility is that the gasket between the intake and turbo is restrictive.

They are probably talking about the boost restrictor in the line naer the boost control selenoid. Just my guess.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Noize
I clearly remember that first one. This thread needs to die a horrible death before it ever escalates to what that one did.

So many turbos have already been pulled from the stock motor. Unless it was described incorrectly and is eluding every tuner.. Or they swore some uber secret Klingon oath to not tell the general public, you can chalk this one up as hype!
I guess I should have been clear that the conclusion I drew from the "Definitive Thread" was that it was hype. DRC (aka OzRallyGuy) never produced, even though he swore he would/could.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe they're referring to the restrictor in the boost control hose. Removing it gives a big spike in boost at low rpms. That spike should represent a ~30 hp increase. Perhaps they're calling it a turbo restrictor for lack of a better term?