Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

weird...car won't start?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird...car won't start?

last night i was leaving my gf's house and i start the car right up but i didn't wait for the car to warm but bc i only live a block away....i just installed a exedy twin clutch 2 days ago and still kinda hard for me some times to start from a stop but anway i just started the car and this is besides the point but after my car sits for awhile the throttle seems to get stuck so i have to pop the gas to loosen up the throttle cable i don't know why this is but its worse in the cold...so anyway i pop the gas to free the throttle cable and i started rolling forward to leave and i stalled the car! and now my car won't start it tried startin it for about 10 minutes last night but no luck...it will crank over but won't start and sometimes i get a little hickup like it wants to start but still won't and this morning i went back and tried to start it but still won't....it also has a new optima red battery

another thing is we had -4 degree weather with the wind chill making it around -20 degrees

also about an hour or so after i got the car back on saturday morning i got a CEL for P0401 but i restarted my battery and it stayed off for awhile but was back on saturday night, i don't know if this would cause the starting issue bc it started just fine before with the CEL

after work i am going to check all the fuses but is there any one that has had the same problem or similar to?

any advice will be helpful

Last edited by evane; Dec 15, 2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

that sounds wierd man did u check what the CEL code was ? that still could be your problem
Old Dec 15, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check your throttle cable, it is not normal. Your check engine code is Insufficient EGR Flow, how many miles on the car?

First thing i would check: Alternator, Battery, fuel pump.

Last edited by tweakdsm; Dec 15, 2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i believe p0401 is an egr code. maybe its stuck open and you cant get enough vaccum. other thatn that i dont see any other problem it would cause that your car wont run.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

yeah the P0401 is EGR insufficent flow error.....i have about 69k on my car....about 1 month ago my stock battery took a s**t so i replaced if with the Optima Red Top battery so the battery should be fine and once i had the new had i had the altentator checked and it was good also....haven't checked the fuel pump tho...how do i check the fuel pump?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

wow that really sounds like an alternator did u get it checked after it wouldnt start? fuel pump is definitely another possibility too
Old Dec 15, 2008, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

i haven't checked the altenator yet but it was good about a month ago....could it be my altentor even if the car started right up the first time then 30 seconds later wouldn't start again?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

yea man its definitely possible your battery might be dead now since the alternator wasnt charging it for sure
Old Dec 15, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

i'm think it might be my fuse for the fuel pump bc i don't recall smelling fuel after cranking for 10 minutes but i'll have to check that after work
Old Dec 15, 2008, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

yea thats possible too but at least its mainly narrowed down to these two things
Old Dec 15, 2008, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

I had the same throttle sticking problem last few months. Only at the first start of the day did I have it. I would have to pop the pedal to almost disengage the plate.

I pulled the TB off, rerouted the coolant lines as per the Old School 90' DSM Handbook I wrote, and took a look. Sure enough, the plate was scratching the inside of the housing and keeping it from closing, but overnight, the spring pressure would slowly force the plate further and further flat, thereby almost locking it in place. The cool thing was, in the morning, even though my driveway faces downhill, I could back out, with no throttle at all. Just in gear, rolling uphill, in reverse, Spook Hill, FLA style.

So I got some 600 grit, and sanded it down and it has gone away entirely.

I'm actually not to certain on the alternator problem unless the battery is pretty bad as well. Another car I have.....will start and run for several minutes, with no alternator belt on the car. It's easy to test though so I'd start there.

/brox
Old Dec 15, 2008, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

i checked all the fuses under the hood and they were all good....i pulled the spark plugs and my motor is flooded from tryin to start it so much...how do i get the fuel out? or should i disconnect the fuel injectors and crank it til the fuel burns up...but i'm starting to think it might be not be starting because of the cam angle sensor or the crank angle sensor

Last edited by evane; Dec 15, 2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

You might want to change to some new spark plugs. I always carried an extra set in the box.
My evo wouldn't start up in the Poconos!!! At the time my car rans really rich and new plugs fixed it after I fouled them.