Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

P0171=help!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2008, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
Did you blow off an IC pipe? or maybe a huge vacuum leak
No blown off ic pipes as far as I can see, but I'll have to double check tomorrow. Hopefully it's something that simple.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will it start if you hold the throttle to the floor? That should act as a fuel cut while cranking, every once in a while my car will stall and it won't restart unless i hold the pedal to the floor. Just something simple to try, won't fix your problem but could work to get the car to the shop.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sho669
Will it start if you hold the throttle to the floor? That should act as a fuel cut while cranking, every once in a while my car will stall and it won't restart unless i hold the pedal to the floor. Just something simple to try, won't fix your problem but could work to get the car to the shop.
I tried, nothing. Thanks though.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Bump for answers.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

We took out the spark plugs today, Each one was was fouled. Awaiting new plugs and you guys will be updated.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

When we pulled the plugs this is what we found, with the fresh smell of gas (richhhhhhhh? lol). Just ordered the denso1-step colder plugs. These should suffice until I'm able to get my car running again to bring it to Ivey. He has been very helpful so far with the situation at hand, willing to look the car over to see exactly what's going on with it. I'm pretty sure the car has to be retuned, as it's running WAY too rich, and fouling plugs every 2,000 miles isn't exactly my thing. Maybe that may have something to do with the Idle issue and the code as well? I'll update when it goes to Ivey.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 09:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Ok got a chance to see the car today.

Pulled the codes, 2195/0171/0134/0131, o2 sensor not responding, stuck lean, etc.

Customer installed o2 housing and had problems getting 02 sensor out. He used a torch and the heat most likely desteroyed the o2 sensor.

The customer is going to swap to a known good o2 sensor and get back to me.

Incidentally that 02 sensor is $400+ list at the dealer.

Sean

Sean
Old Jan 7, 2009, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
^ Now that is customer service above and beyond. This shows a lot being as Sean's shop didn't even install said parts good stuff Sean

I can't blame the kid though sometime no amount of PB Blaster will get O2 sensors out. A torch is the only option at that point
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Well you know how it is. We are always willing to look it over and work with the customer, our fault or not.
He is swapping it and will get back to us and then we can take it from there, hopefully that solves his problem.

The cars are getting older and going through many hands, things are bound to happen.

Sean
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Sean has been great with the whole deal. We pulled the codes and unfortunately it turns out I do need a new sensor. I'm starting to think my car is just cursed or something. When we pulled the codes before it didn't even pop up (no 02 signal), that would've saved me alot of time, headaches and money. Fortunately I do have a spare OEM sensor at hand that's going in today. Hopefully that solves all the problems I have been having. I will update once new sensor is in, and codes are cleared again (and drive cycle is done, I think 50 miles or something like that).
Old Jan 7, 2009, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

bump to sean...glad u figured out the car
Old Jan 7, 2009, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah thanks sean, it was great meeting you today. Like srt-to-evo said, we will update as soon as that sensor is in.

- Mario
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:11 AM

Question

Can anybody help me. My car keeps gettin CEL and i always thought it was P0446 BUT now is that same one and P0171 ( books says - bank 1 system too lean ) can anybody help me as in to what can cause this things? I got a Evo 8. With exhaust , cam gear, clutch, light weight pulleys and that it.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Okay sorry for the HUGE delay, the 02 was uber tight in there so I let me car sit for a couple weeks cause I was busy/lazy but I was finally able to get it out tonight. Put the new one in, and the car runs just about as good as stock. So all of you with the same issues as mine YOU NEED A NEW O2 SENSOR!! Thank you Ivey for all your help, can't wait for my E-85 tune on the RED!! Oh and that cam install I've been delaying .

P.S. A OEM sensor was put back in (I don't trust the aftermarket ones).
Old Feb 10, 2009, 05:17 PM
Former Sponsor

So problem resolved was the o2 sensor.
Common issue now with cars that have the o2 housing messed with, and you were ready to string me up over the tune :-)

Glad it's now fixed let me know if you need anything else.

Sean

Quick Reply: P0171=help!