Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

evo 9, 57 trim or 35r

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
we have same mods only that all of my friends who have reds have the buschur 65mm throttle body/ ported intake manifold and aem standalone .... and they run e-85 i just run 100oct but tell u guys something the red is an awsome turbo but be realistic it maxes out at around 550 and it will never flow more than a 35r , fpred it just better from daily driving but in my opinion 35r is a better turbo overall....?
Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by casper03
I would like to be at about 400 to 450 on pump gas ... i really want to do stock for more realibility. What really would like to do stock and just build off that
The 57 trim has an open turbing housing that will compromise low speed tractibility without sufficient return up top. The FP Red will beat it in every category.

A regular 35R is very laggy if you're used to the response of a stock turbo. It makes power up top, but if you want to ensure reliability and street manners, and your goal is 400-450whp as stated, you can get there with a turbo that will give a broader powerband and much better off-boost response.

The FP Red is easily capable of your hp target, and because it looks/fits like a stock turbo and retains the factory twinscroll turbine design, gives superior response. It fits hardware that meets factory placement, so that works out in tidy fashion.

It sounds to me like you're a perfect candidate for the FP Red.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ted B
The 57 trim has an open turbing housing that will compromise low speed tractibility without sufficient return up top. The FP Red will beat it in every category.

A regular 35R is very laggy if you're used to the response of a stock turbo. It makes power up top, but if you want to ensure reliability and street manners, and your goal is 400-450whp as stated, you can get there with a turbo that will give a broader powerband and much better off-boost response.

The FP Red is easily capable of your hp target, and because it looks/fits like a stock turbo and retains the factory twinscroll turbine design, gives superior response. It fits hardware that meets factory placement, so that works out in tidy fashion.

It sounds to me like you're a perfect candidate for the FP Red.
I agree with every statement you've made.

My biggest gripe with the 57 trim (for those who are proponents of it's cause) is the entire design of it and what it was intended for. A quick glance at a compressor map reveals why it's such a bad choice, from the awkward surge line all the way to it's low pressure ratio and poor flow at a high pressure. This turbo is pretty much only intended for low pressure/higher flowing applications, such as every little "Honduh" out there with a stock motor that can't run more than 12-14lbs. Going higher starts dumping you out of the center efficiency island where you start blowing hot air.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you already have the BR35 kit...why not send THAT turbo to FP for HTA treatment? You should gain some spool, correct?