Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

10,000 mile oil changes?!?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2008, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by batmoEVO
So, just to be clear, I never said that Amsoil was inferior to Mobil 1. It isn't, Amsoil rules. For the Evo owner that doesn't frequent the track, this is the only option I would recommend. I have used Amsoil in many other vehicles and have not been disappointed.

However, I'm not going to get a $22.5 oil analysis after every track weekend to see if I should change the oil or not. Instead, I will spend $30 and just change the oil and filter. It would cost me more to use Amsoil, even if I didn't have to change it every weekend, since I would need to be getting an oil analysis every time I turned around. After thousands of track miles, she has been running like a champ so I am happy. That being said, it probably would be a good idea to get an analysis done at least once.

...or maybe I'm just crazy - that's totally possible.
Not crazy..... Krazy... Krazy for cars...

You do not need to spend 22.55 every track weekend.. Don't know who told you that or if you misread something.. Of course... 22.55 is a lot cheaper than an engine and by just dumping oil you have no idea if there is a problem.

Oil Analysis is more than just a way of seeing if oil is good. It is a tool to see if you are ingesting dirt (Silica), Fuel Dilution, bearing wear, bushings, rings, liners, coolant leaks. Thus monitoring problems and possibly avoiding that catastrophic failure.

Another use for you would be to Establish Drain Intervals.... SSO is a Superior oil and as noted by the OP, was still good at 10,000 miles with a TBN of 5.8 which is where a good petroleum oil is lucky to be that out of the bottle.

I had a customer with a Street/Strip Mazda and through oil analysis was able to extend drain intervals to 17,500 miles safely, using AMSOIL 0W-30 and the AMSOIL Filter.

Now, how much is your car worth ? How much do you pay for Insurance? I look at it as a cheap Insurance policy protecting my investment.

Do I use it on my Lancer ? Nope... It is strictly a Daily Driver and I run the SSO...Don't use it on my trucks anymore either... Got those baselines built..

My MotorCycle..... Well that is different.. 25K in 2 wheels... Performance Dual Exhaust, Race Tuner Kit and a Performance Air Intake using an AMSOIL EA Air Filter... I Definitely use Oil Analysis.

Doc
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

as many said, many dont care about the breakdown of their synthetic oil.... most already know the oil isnt fully spent at 3-5k miles. they just want the possible buildup of blowby, water residue, carbon, fuel outta there. get it?
Old Dec 31, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
as many said, many dont care about the breakdown of their synthetic oil.... most already know the oil isnt fully spent at 3-5k miles. they just want the possible buildup of blowby, water residue, carbon, fuel outta there. get it?

As many have said, the one's that change their oil too soon, may be wasting money. There are limits on what you have mentioned and the Analysis shows them. 10K on an oil where there are numerous engine problems contaminating the oil and it is still good. The oil analysis can pay for itself very quick.. Just looking at an interval of 3 times what Mits calls for when you are looking at $50.00-75.00 on a change compared to $22.55 for Analysis.

Trend Analysis is also to be used as a Tool to see what is going on inside your engine... You can't tell ANYTHING about the condition of oil or the internal engine parts without it... Get It ?

Doc
Old Dec 31, 2008, 09:38 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by batmoEVO
Now, I run Mobil 1 5w30 and track the car all of the time. No issues for 22k miles. I do, however, change the oil before every track day or 3k miles, whichever comes first...

Oh my f'ing god... have you seen how bad the latest test results are coming back on Mobile 5w-30? It's bad enough that people are talking suing. What's worse is that I was a Mobile 1 man and used the Mobile 1 10w-30 for the majority of the 75k that are on my own Evo. Now granted, I've not seen the bad results from the 10w-30 as the 5w, but I'm concerned enough as it is. I'm going to send a sample off my next oil change!
Old Jan 1, 2009, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
Oh my f'ing god... have you seen how bad the latest test results are coming back on Mobile 5w-30? It's bad enough that people are talking suing. What's worse is that I was a Mobile 1 man and used the Mobile 1 10w-30 for the majority of the 75k that are on my own Evo. Now granted, I've not seen the bad results from the 10w-30 as the 5w, but I'm concerned enough as it is. I'm going to send a sample off my next oil change!

The problem is, everyone sees Mobil 1 as a Synthetic oil. Mobil 1 is a company with various products including filters.

All too often when I ask someone which Mobil 1 are they using ? I get the answer, 5W-30, 10W-30 Etc... That really doesn't mean anything. I want to know if it is EP, 7500, 5000 or just plain Mobil 1. For the EVO, if they want to use Mobil 1, the answer should be EP.

Mobil 1 EP is a PAO based product and quite respectable but cannot be used for extended drains in the EVO without verification of Oil Analysis.

Doc
Old Jan 1, 2009, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Zeus..

Although you modified your post, If you noticed, the guy that ran AMSOIL at 8K intervals, never replied to me. I asked him what he was running 8K intervals when the AMSOIL recommended is 5K MAX without using Analysis.

It is hard to understand how there are so many Tech Savvy people on here, but fail to see how Oil Analysis is more than just something to see if oil is good. If used properly, it is a Tool to find out what is happening inside the component being tested for possible problems.

Just changing oil is not enough. All you are doing is dumping what may contain the "Evidence" needed to project problems. Then if there is a failure, the blame will go to the oil whether it is the problem or not.

Doc

Old Jan 1, 2009, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

I switched to AMSoil oil+filter and don't plan to change it for 5k.

Tests are there for a reason.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by importjake00
I switched to AMSoil oil+filter and don't plan to change it for 5k.

Tests are there for a reason.

Yep.... And as long as you have no mechanical issues or fuel dilution problems, you will be fine !

Happy New Year

Doc
Old Jan 1, 2009, 04:05 PM
Former Sponsor

what oil should i use on my evo 8 , i live in a tropical hot area and i have a fully build motor making 400 hp on cosworth race bearings
Old Jan 1, 2009, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gfng
what oil should i use on my evo 8 , i live in a tropical hot area and i have a fully build motor making 400 hp on cosworth race bearings

AMSOIL Dominator 10W-30 ...

$51.85 Plus Tax for 5 Qts

Doc
Old Feb 24, 2009, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

5K oil changes on my EVO 9 w/ German Castrol Syntec (0w30) from Autozone w/ napa gold filter

Old Feb 24, 2009, 05:36 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by funks
5K oil changes on my EVO 9 w/ German Castrol Syntec (0w30) from Autozone w/ napa gold filter

looking good.

oil analysis can save your engine
Old Feb 24, 2009, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are other products equal or better than M1. In fact the likely reason mitsu recommends M1 is because corporate and rally sponsor reasons.

Main point though, always use the specified weight synthetic oil. If stock, change every 3000 - 5000 miles, depending on type of drivin. But if car makes more than stock power and is driven hard, changing oil every 2000 miles isn't overdoing it at all.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

where can i sign up for the oil analysis kit?
Old Feb 28, 2009, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by S2kracka
No wonder there is a shortage of oil. Think about it; imagine everyone gets away from the 3k interval and goes to 5-10k (and longer for some cars!) as recommended by manufacturers. Demand will be cut to less than half of what it currently is freeing up more available oil to produce gasoline/diesel from.
The average person does NOT change their oil @ 3k. I know way too many people who go way longer than that just because they don't care about their vehicles in the first place unlike car guys and gals like us. My friends gf hasn't changed the oil not even once in her pt cruiser since she bought it; I agree that this is a rare thing to happen, but nonetheless it does.

Its not that people change their oil too regularly thats created the oil "shortage" (if there really is one, that is), its the mass fuel consumption of these inefficient gas guzzling engines that power the "mini school buses" that most families drive (*cough* V8s *cough*).

I am going to continue to change my oil when I deem it necessary because it's my dime that pays the payments, insurance coverage, fuel fill ups, maintenance, etc.. No one is going to convince anyone to go to 10k oil changes.

Quick Reply: 10,000 mile oil changes?!?