Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

When are cams too aggressive for a setup?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2008, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
When are cams too aggressive for a setup?

The reason I bring this up is I'm running some fairly aggressive cams, FP4R's, on my IX with stock turbo and saw no dramatic increase in performance. My idle quality and low-speed drivability has suffered and I'm just not sure I'm seeing the gains to make it worth it. My friend noticed the exact same thing except he went for the Kelford 272's on his comparably built IX. My spool and powerband did not change much with the addition of the cams. Is is possible that I could see greater gains AND increased idle/drivability quality with a less aggressive cam such as one of Kelfords milder offerings or GSC S1's or are cams just not that worthwhile on stock turbo IX's? I am working on maxing out the stock IX turbo but this is my daily-driver that see s a lot of stop/go driving every day. Thanks guys!

Specs for the FP4R's can be found here: http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...=Lancer-Engine

Last edited by Kracka; Dec 18, 2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Neither the FP4Rs nor Kelford 272s are overly radical profiles based upon the advertised valve events. However, realize that the AMS cam test involves an engine that has a CNC ported head, large turbo, and other upgrades, all running very efficiently and able to make good use of increased lift and longer duration. This is a bit of a departure from a stock EVO IX, and that will be reflected in the real-world results.

With judicious tuning of MIVEC and the fueling and ignition maps, a fairly stock IX should see decent performance benefits from the aforementioned cams with minimal compromise in driveability. The results probably won't be as dramatic as the AMS test (what everyone has stuck in their heads), but a marked improvement should be attainable.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
I wont suggest cams on a IX smaller than the Kelford C cam (the ones you mentioned) or GSC S2s. The FP4Rs have powered some really fast stock turbo cars (search for the user "Fathouse").

However coming to terms with the original question overcamming any car is possible. Its all relative to headflow as Ted pointed out. I would suggest spending some time with the MIVEC, making sure you dont have any boost leaks, all the normal stuff. Its about combination and follow through...you'll get it
Old Dec 19, 2008, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the insight thus far guys!

I'm toying with 3 options right now:
1. Leave the FP4R's in.
2. Swap the stock cams back in.
3. Replace FP4R's with a less aggressive cam.

I did a boost leak check after I installed my FMIC (about a month ago) and all was well. The cams were installed back in September so they are not a recent mod. My car is still definitely making good power, it just didn't show any gains with the addition of cams. My stock FMIC seemed to be heat-soaking pretty badly so maybe with the addition of the larger FMIC (Perrin) the gains will become more apparent as I'm able to flow more air in a more efficient manner. Regarding the AMS cam shootout, since that was performed on a VIII with built engine and large turbo I never used it as much of a reference other than it being apparent which cam manufacturers make a quality product and which do not.

Last edited by Kracka; Dec 19, 2008 at 04:46 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 06:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you install a set of springs when you put the cams in? Second how much tuning has been done..

The 4r's on paper look pretty good, its a larger cam than our S1 and a touch smaller than our S2. I would more than likely say it has to be on an upgraded springs.. Over time the stock springs will get some fatigue in them and just can’t handle an upgrade cam... Running to light of a valve spring can have two effects on power, one you can have a valve that wont stay closed all the way or bounce on the seat; especially at higher boost. Two you can get a lot of phantom knock which will pull timing... Valve springs are pretty key with the aggression of some higher horsepower cams and making power.

As far as to aggressive of a cam, you can have many ill effects.. I don't really have the time to write a novel about it but yes you can go to aggressive in many different ways. The most important thing to worry about is RPM range, flow of the head, Engine displacement, and turbo size and efficiency, and matching a cam to a spring...
Old Dec 19, 2008, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GregGSC
As far as to aggressive of a cam, you can have many ill effects.. I don't really have the time to write a novel about it but yes you can go to aggressive in many different ways. The most important thing to worry about is RPM range, flow of the head, Engine displacement, and turbo size and efficiency, and matching a cam to a spring...
Here's a good example of over camming - I ran a stock appearing setup on my DSM, still had the stock 14b turbo but with HKS 272s. I didn't see full boost until almost 4k and power still fell off over 6k. The car ran great, best of 12.1 @ 112, but I've always wondered if there was more in it with a milder cam that would've brought up the midrange.
Attached Thumbnails When are cams too aggressive for a setup?-steve.jpg  
Old Dec 19, 2008, 07:05 AM

I'm the friend Kracka mentions with the Kelfords...

So far the cams have been a huge disappointment. Kracka and I both were tuned for the addition of injectors and cams on the same day by the same person and we made within 1 hp and 3 tq of each other. As Kracka mentioned our cars are very similarly modified with the only real difference being the brand of a few of our parts.

Kracka's numbers and power curve were nearly identical to his pre-cam and injector numbers effectively meaning that the cams provided no real increase in power (peak and under the curve) for him and most likely did not add anything for me (I had not been dyno'd or tuned prior).

What the cams did for me was add starting issues when the coolant temp is at 130° F +/- 20° F, idling issues, phantom knock at throttle tip-in when between 3,000 and 3,500 RPM, low speed drivability issues, and recently my AFR's at idle have been bouncing between 19.0:1 and 13.0:1—nearly stalling at the lean end and revving up above 1,000 RPM on the rich end.

The question in my mind is; why aren’t we making any power on the cams? Is it not possible to do so on these cams with a stock turbo and stock head? Are they ‘too aggressive’ for our relatively mild set-ups?

At this point, I’d rather switch back to stock cams than spend the money on new valve springs considering this could only potentially be an issue.

Are we missing something?

For reference, some dyno graphs. After these we pulled some timing out of the upper load/RPM ranges due to knock I was seeing on the street but not on the dyno and I made just over 350 hp/tq on a Dynojet. Since installing a FMIC we added the timing back in and have not seen any knock.

Old Dec 19, 2008, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Who's your tuner?
Old Dec 19, 2008, 07:24 AM

Shane from DB Performance in Rogers MN (www.dbptuning.com).

He's been tuning 4G63's for years and is quite experienced with MIVEC.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 07:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by hellomynameis
The question in my mind is; why aren’t we making any power on the cams? Is it not possible to do so on these cams with a stock turbo and stock head? Are they ‘too aggressive’ for our relatively mild set-ups?
I have to second Greg's question . . . did either of you upgrade valvesprings with these cams? Both of you should be aware that the aggressive ramp profiles of these cams are why the sellers specify a valvespring upgrade.

I'm not saying that is the sole cause of your ills, but the factory springs are inadequate for these cams.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

I plan on getting the Kelford 272s for my fairly stock evo 8 but i will be getting supertech dual valve springs along with them
Old Dec 19, 2008, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Forced Performance claims the FP4R's are safe to rev out to 8k RPM with the stock valve springs which is why I did not upgrade springs. Kelford also told me directly that upgraded valve springs are not required for the IX 272's revving to the stock limiter which is why Zac (hellomynameis) did not upgrade.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ted B
I have to second Greg's question . . . did either of you upgrade valvesprings with these cams?
We did not upgrade valve springs. When we asked around and researched no one seemed to feel it was necessary unless we were planning on running a reline of 8,000 RPM or more. Neither of us are doing that. While we know that upgrading valve springs is ideal we didn't feel it was justified.

That being said, my strong HP taper in the upper RPM's could very well be caused by the issues Greg brought up. The car felt like it wanted more timing up there but it just wouldn't take it without knocking. Kracka's car has a better power curve in the upper RPM's but he's also able to hold more boost up top with his GM BCS...I'm just running a Joe P manual boost controller but will be switching to GM BCS within the next few months.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Zac, my car made the most power tapering boost down similar to how yours was so I don't feel my ability to hold power better has to do with boost. After over-laying my dyno charts, with the addition of cams and GM BCS, my spool was no sooner or later than with stock cams and a MBC and power held up top was nearly identical. With the recent addition of the FMIC I'm hoping I'll be able to make even more power up top since I can run higher boost on the same timing (or run the same tapering boost with more timing).

Last edited by Kracka; Dec 19, 2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Quote from FP's website:

"The grind [referring to IX 4R cams] can be safely operated beyond the stock redline to 8krpm with the stock springs in place"

This is seriously one of the reasons I went for these cams because I wanted it to be a simple, reliable, bolt-on affair.

Last edited by Kracka; Dec 19, 2008 at 08:40 AM.

Quick Reply: When are cams too aggressive for a setup?