Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Way OVER redline!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2003, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way OVER redline!

I was driving in 4rth gear tonight and at the end of my rpm band i was switching to 5th, Some how, I slipped it into 3rd. It downshifted Hard as **** for less than a second. But i am worried. It sounds normal, runs normal, and nothing is noticeable as far as driving. But i cant sit here and think that nothing has went wrong with the engine.
I have an SAFC and i was running -5% on 7000. I wasn't giving it any gas by the time i shifted into 3rd and the SAFC recorded my peak RPM at 9374 rpm.

and Kar was at 1604 Hz. I am just worried, because i have never done this before. And i was way over redline. I just cant imagine the engine still being ok. Can anyone put a light on this subject, and tell me what kind of damages likely occured.
Thanks,
Marcus
Old Sep 10, 2003, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you still driving the car, this is a good indication that you didn't mess up anything.

A mistake will not cause harm. Lot's of mistake will be unknown.

BTW, you probably set a record for engine rev.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i agree with the above. dont worry about it. i wouldnt try and do it often but you will be fine.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 09:32 PM
EvoM Guru

WOW! usually will bend valves (caused by valve float). Car seems ok? Idle smoothly etc.? For piece of mind do a leak down test on each of the cylinders and maybe change the oil looking for expensive shiny things. If all is ok count your blessings and don't do it again! I doubt it would survive that too many times...
Old Sep 10, 2003, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

yea the same thing happened to my friend in his rsx-S.. he was on the track doing around 90 in 3rd, and when he tried to shift to 4th, he missed and jammed it in 2nd. his engine blew up right then and there.. and u wanna kno wut acura saw as his peak rpm from the ecu? 12500 freakin rpms!!! i never even knew that was possible.. story back on topic, u shouldnt really worry about it, because something woulda happened by now.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I was scared ****less that i would need a new motor soon. Don't do it often eh? I'll try my best. I guess i can have a posative outlook on this and start a post of who has reached the highest RPM... I am so glad to hear this news.... Thanks alot!
I will for sure, be very careful now, even though i've always babied my evo, but i guess everyone messes up sometimes, and maybe i can blame my shortshifter.

Marcus
Old Sep 10, 2003, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

i saw another rsx that did that..shouldnt synchros not let u shift into a lower gear at such high speeds??
Old Sep 10, 2003, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by bobaab
i saw another rsx that did that..shouldnt synchros not let u shift into a lower gear at such high speeds??
exactly, but since he was racing and shifting hard and fast, u could jam into that 2nd gear if u wanted to.. and guess what, he did..
Old Sep 10, 2003, 09:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by bobaab
They actually HELP you get it into gear when the RPM's don't match A straight cut non-syncro race box would have ground somthing fierce and resisted slipping into gear. That why you have to heal and toe those.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 09:43 PM

my dad did that like 3 times before i kicked him in the nuts and set him straight. No problems, the car is still slow
Old Sep 10, 2003, 10:13 PM

so, why didn't it blow up? even though i was running lean?

confuses the hell outta me.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Marcus84
so, why didn't it blow up? even though i was running lean?

confuses the hell outta me.
Your A/F ratio or throttle position doesn't mean **** when you accidentally go from 4th to 3rd instead of 5th...the forward motion of the car will push the RPMs past redline, and the fuel cut WILL NOT SAVE YOU! The good news is, the engine is PROBABLY okay...the 4G63 can rev mighty high without damage...it's mechanically safe to at least 8000 RPM...dunno about 9374 RPM, though! If the engine sounds normal, then it's probably fine...if you had bent something, you would have known it right away.

Now, don't do that again!!!
Old Sep 10, 2003, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Get a compression check to be safe.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
How much would a new motor cost, by the way?
Old Sep 11, 2003, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

If you bent your valves you'd know it. The car wouldn't act right afterwards and would probably throw a CEL being the emissions is all screwed up. At least that's what happened to my ITR.

I was doing about 80mph and was going to 4th and went to 2nd. The car acted fine til I slowed down to pull into a parking lot and it died right in the middle of on coming traffic. To make a long story short...I ended up driving it home and while on the highway it felt perfectly normal, but as soon as I got off my exit it died and I didn't have any brakes and had to pull the e-brake. It didn't throw a CEL til the drive home.

After it was fixed, I had some more problems with it and it kept throwing CEL's again after about 4-5 months after the fix. Come to find out, some of the valves were bent again, but not bad enough to where it would die. It was throwing a mis fire code and it wouldn't pass emissions that way either.

I'd say your car is fine. I would be more aware and pay more attetion to what gear your going into. If for any reason your car starts to die on you, you probably have some bent valves.

Good Luck!