Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

South Bend Clutches

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never seen anyone use one in a Evo before.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:56 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jxs1984
so these clutches have two discs in it? according to the description, they sound similar to a twin disc clutch... "soft pedal feel and high torque capacity"
How on earth does that define it as a twin disc? Like someone else said, it is a single disc, with two different materials--one on each side.

Originally Posted by Chris@nolimitmotors
Never seen anyone use one in a Evo before.
June 2007, I got mine:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tall-pics.html

Like I said, I love it except for the fusing potential. Great clutch for a DD that doesn't get launched, even if you're making a ton of power/torque. I'd consider a comp stage 3 if I had to do another right now.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
My friend (Scheides) fused his SouthBend Feramic to a stock flywheel after 1 launch; I was with when it happened. He then got a replacement from SouthBend and decided to go with the Fidanza flywheel and has had no issues yet (but has done zero launches). The clutch does have great feeling pedal pressure so the pressure plate gets two thumbs up from me. I had a Southbend in my DSM and loved it, but been hearing too many issues as of late to consider one in my Evo. Scheides and I have another buddy with a A4 and has had fusing issues with the SouthBend Feramic clutch material. If you're set on Southbend, look one step below the Feramic material and get the Kevlar.

Regarding Scheides suggesting the Competition Stage 3 (kevlar) clutch, I am running a prototype version of it and have overall been happy with it. Once the clutch becomes publicly available I will post a my full review/impressions.

Of all the clutches currently available as of right now though, for a daily-driving making decent power, I'd suggest the Fidanza 3.2.

Last edited by Kracka; Dec 22, 2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CNano8
Any reason why in particular, you seem so against them? Did one of their clutches engage hardly, blow up a tranny and took someone you know toes off jk lol?
Mainly because I live within 10 minutes from them, and know of many cars that have their clutches installed. Got too much bad feedback about them.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 01:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i see now... one disc but two diff material
Old Dec 23, 2008, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure what they use in the DXD puck clutches but I've probally launched my 400+ whp srt on slicks 50+ times, about 50 times on R compounds, a lapping day event, 30 times on street rubber. Never ever a hint of a problem.