Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

South Bend Clutches

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Bend Clutches

http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/home.html

anybody have these clutches? share ur inputs here.

The OFE kit combines the newest technology in linings: A Feramic full face lining on the flywheel side and a "Medium Metal" content Organic lining on the pressure plate side. This combination runs cooler and significantly extends clutch life. The OFE series clutch not only engages very smooth, it has the torque capacity of other Stage 4 clutch kits. This state of the art kit is what everybody wants when it comes to street performance.

These are the front and back facing on the OFE series. Feramic against the flywheel for superior holding power and organic "Medium Metal" content lining engaging on the pressure plate side for an ultra smooth feel.

Last edited by jxs1984; Dec 21, 2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

My friend is running one on his stg. 3 b5 s4 with good results. Their pretty good clutches actually. Oh yeah I forgot, I met this guy with a mk3 supra with a T-70 turbo and he had one I remember him said he loved it because the pedal felt like stock. He mention anything about it not being able to hold power or anything.

Last edited by CNano8; Dec 21, 2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If its not a twin, don't bother with it
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

I've heard of them. Few around where I used to live had them. No problems with them.

First thing I noticed on the website wasn't the clutches or flywheels, but that the instrument cluster is off a WRX.

/brox
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have one in my evo, but I do have one in my 400 whp 425 wtq Stage 3, SRT-4. Stock pedal and held everything I could throw at it. Had problems with other clutches before finally getting the SBC DXD. Competition clutch 6 puck (Iron Man) JUNK JUNK JUNK. Went through 2 of them in less than 5k miles due to slipping on street tires. Installed the SBC and problems were solved.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Not everyone needs a twin disk.IMO ive seen too many people getting twin disk when they are not even close to needing it.honestly if your not making over 450-500+ ft lbs of torque then you wont need one.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Plus not everyone has the money to dump 1500 on a clutch too.. lol when mine goes im going to probably get the OFE stage 3 clutch. I like it cause their full face discs for everyday (my evo is my DD) not pucks, well their race line is.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Their feramic 4 puck held 712 whp and 9 second passes. They were private label for HPF/ Paul Nelson's car. Granted several passes down the qm killed the clutch after a year.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:15 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the OFE in my car, 30k miles and still going strong. I'm making over 370whp on dyno dynamics and 400whp on dynojet. The strongest point of these clutches are the pedal pressure and torque holding ability. Their weakest point is the feramic material; under certain conditions of high slippage, it can get too hot and fuse in spots to the flywheel, making your clutch useless. I have a fidanza 9.5 lb flywheel to go with it, and no issues yet.

I also had the DXD on my 2G for like 30k miles before I sold it. Again, STOCK pedal pressure, linear engagement, and tons of torque holding ability.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hahaha, awesome. I live in south bend... I know of this place. Once upon a time they were great.... recently I have not heard anything good. I personally would never take my cars there for any reason what so ever.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scheides
I have the OFE in my car, 30k miles and still going strong. I'm making over 370whp on dyno dynamics and 400whp on dynojet. The strongest point of these clutches are the pedal pressure and torque holding ability. Their weakest point is the feramic material; under certain conditions of high slippage, it can get too hot and fuse in spots to the flywheel, making your clutch useless. I have a fidanza 9.5 lb flywheel to go with it, and no issues yet.

I also had the DXD on my 2G for like 30k miles before I sold it. Again, STOCK pedal pressure, linear engagement, and tons of torque holding ability.
so these clutches have two discs in it? according to the description, they sound similar to a twin disc clutch... "soft pedal feel and high torque capacity"
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
If money wasn't an issue the twin/triple route would be ideal but most people can put the extra $1000 they'd save from going with a single disc to more beneficial areas.

$1200 - $1500 for a clutch is a bit more than I'd want to pay, especially considering almost all twin discs have to be rebuilt after relatively little use in comparison to single discs.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LancerEVA06
hahaha, awesome. I live in south bend... I know of this place. Once upon a time they were great.... recently I have not heard anything good. I personally would never take my cars there for any reason what so ever.
Any reason why in particular, you seem so against them? Did one of their clutches engage hardly, blow up a tranny and took someone you know toes off jk lol?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jxs1984
so these clutches have two discs in it? according to the description, they sound similar to a twin disc clutch... "soft pedal feel and high torque capacity"
Well its one actual disc just one side of the face is one material and the other side is another material.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

My bud is running it on his 400whp+ SRT-4.
He said its the best clutch he ever had.

Quick Reply: South Bend Clutches