Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TOMEI Announces ARMS M7960 Turbine Kit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I will keep my fingers crossed. I do know that it is always good to see competition for our hard earned money. Right now, the BBK Full/E85 combination seems to be the best thing going IMO.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exciting to see JDM enter the stockish turbo market. can't wait to see some more dynos. then we can make a better comparison with BBK full/FP Red/FP Green, etc.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Since I'm a big fan of Tomei, it makes me very interested in this turbo. For one thing, it looks really nice. Tomei makes quality products so we don't need to worry about it's reliability. But most of all, I'm really curious about the counter clockwise rotation.

I'm saving up for this turbo!
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tvbf1
Since I'm a big fan of Tomei, it makes me very interested in this turbo. For one thing, it looks really nice. Tomei makes quality products so we don't need to worry about it's reliability. But most of all, I'm really curious about the counter clockwise rotation.

I'm saving up for this turbo!
Why so curious about that? Evos use reverse rotation turbos.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

How can you guys already be complaining about a stock replacement turbo that gains 70 peak hp on pump gas and 23psi? Sometimes this forum gets so asinine it makes me sick. Show me a real comparison where a red gained 70hp peak on pump and 23psi or less.... oh wait, you can't. Until then, lets abate the hate, and patiently wait. More testing will come in time, and nothing can really be accomplish until more results are available.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltz.
How can you guys already be complaining about a stock replacement turbo that gains 70 peak hp on pump gas and 23psi? Sometimes this forum gets so asinine it makes me sick. Show me a real comparison where a red gained 70hp peak on pump and 23psi or less.... oh wait, you can't. Until then, lets abate the hate, and patiently wait. More testing will come in time, and nothing can really be accomplish until more results are available.
You're right, it's early.

However, I have a Green on my car and my car put down 333whp on 91 on a Mustang Dyno on 21 psi. This pre-pro Tomei turbo put down approx 330 whp on a DynaPack at 23psi. I know we're not supposed to compare dyno numbers, but color me skeptical.

And where are you getting 70whp from?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 12:59 PM
Account Disabled

I like TOMEI products and I believe their turbos are made to good in every situation. For example: The FP Red only comes alive under race gas but on 91,92 or 93 Octane it will loose lot of spool. So what is the point for the FP Red if you don't run it on Race gas all the time. I like quick spool and top end. I believe that this unit will be what I am looking for. I am not here to bash on anyone I just want to see dyno numbers on a everyday stock internal engine on 91,92 or 93 octane. I will then make my decision period.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Last edited by JohnBradley; Dec 23, 2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
You're right, it's early.

However, I have a Green on my car and my car put down 333whp on 91 on a Mustang Dyno on 21 psi. This pre-pro Tomei turbo put down approx 330 whp on a DynaPack at 23psi. I know we're not supposed to compare dyno numbers, but color me skeptical.

And where are you getting 70whp from?
You make a good point, but the red doesn't do much more than a green at that boost anyway. Bring that turbo to the US so we can see how much it will make before we start blowin **** up.

^ thats where I got 70hp from. Whp, maybe not? I have no clue, its a pretty weak graph, but as I understand it is a comparison between the evo9 turbo and the tomei at 1.6bar. If I understand this graph correctly, then I am impressed.

Last edited by Boltz.; Dec 23, 2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 04:02 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you Boltz for at least accepting the possibility that this could be a great turbo. I agree with everything you've posted on this subject.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
After further research it seems this might be interesting. Comparing it to the BBK might be a good starting point, but it doesnt seem to be in any independent hands for testing yet.

I would be interested in some dynojet numbers so I have something to relate to boost to boost and timing numbers to timing numbers. Dynapaks are typically close to Mustangs (depending on operator and correction factor) so I can kind of Grok it based on that.

When is the release date?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Creamo3
Too much compressor cover bling....
Angle grinder can fix that up pretty quick

I have to agree though
Old Dec 23, 2008, 08:40 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
JB it is being sold through the vendor EVO 8/9 external power for sale section Edit: looks like it will be available end of Jan early Feb

I am hoping you, razorlab, or other forum tuner will get one through your shop to get some good testing

Last edited by MR Turco; Dec 23, 2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

The compressor inducer is 52.5mm, and the exducer is 68mm (same as stock). This compares very closely to the Green. It's a 6 blade wheel though, wondering if they're the same/similar wheel as the TC.com 20g.

The thing that gets my attention is the compressor housing. Upon first glance, it looks like they just cast a knock-off of the IX housing, but when you look at them side by side it appears larger in the same way an IX housing is larger than a VIII. This could mean better flow for a given wheel size, and also the potential for a larger wheel down the road.

It's good to see more competition in the bolt-on upgrade arena, everyone benefits.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Steve93Talon
The compressor inducer is 52.5mm, and the exducer is 68mm (same as stock). This compares very closely to the Green. It's a 6 blade wheel though, wondering if they're the same/similar wheel as the TC.com 20g.

The thing that gets my attention is the compressor housing. Upon first glance, it looks like they just cast a knock-off of the IX housing, but when you look at them side by side it appears larger in the same way an IX housing is larger than a VIII. This could mean better flow for a given wheel size, and also the potential for a larger wheel down the road.

It's good to see more competition in the bolt-on upgrade arena, everyone benefits.
It's also a custom cast hotside which gets my attention as well. This looks like a very nice flowing turbo and I agree.....I think in the distant future we'll see them eventually stuff some larger wheels in it which may come to be something a little more comparable to the red or possibly even a predecessor.....

Quick Reply: TOMEI Announces ARMS M7960 Turbine Kit