Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TOMEI Announces ARMS M7960 Turbine Kit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2009, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Backpressure is not where it's at dude.....especially on turbocharged cars. So, get rid of the stock O2 hsg., and do an EPM dump instead. If the Tomei ARMS turbo comes with the stock, unported 10.5 housing, then port the turbine discharge area of the exhaust housing. Reduce backpressure, improve the pressure differential..... then report back.

I have driven 45,000 miles with an "El Cheapo" SSAC O2 Hsg. and can report zero cracked welds and zero warped flanges. Cast housings are not always better than welded tubular housings as far as integrity and longevity. I have seen factory cast iron housings develop leaks due to voids in the casting. Nothing manmade is perfect.

Last edited by sparky; Jan 28, 2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like the build is already planned, but the Works 02 housing would have been a perfect solution. Better flow, more HP, cast, and it retains the mount to the block to help support the weight of the turbo system . . .

Good luck with the tune. I am very interested in this turbo. . .
Old Jan 28, 2009, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Sounds like the build is already planned, but the Works 02 housing would have been a perfect solution. Better flow, more HP, cast, and it retains the mount to the block to help support the weight of the turbo. . .
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Nice O2 option!^^^^^^^^^^
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
arms turbo

got the arms turbo and the expreme headers, installing and then the reflash ECTTEK ,

but i have problems with my ACD, does anyone know any aftermarket replacement for the ACD or its internals?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 04:57 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sparky
Backpressure is not where it's at dude.....especially on turbocharged cars. So, get rid of the stock O2 hsg., and do an EPM dump instead. If the Tomei ARMS turbo comes with the stock, unported 10.5 housing, then port the turbine discharge area of the exhaust housing. Reduce backpressure, improve the pressure differential..... then report back.

I have driven 45,000 miles with an "El Cheapo" SSAC O2 Hsg. and can report zero cracked welds and zero warped flanges. Cast housings are not always better than welded tubular housings as far as integrity and longevity. I have seen factory cast iron housings develop leaks due to voids in the casting. Nothing manmade is perfect.
How much of a before and after test would we have if we replaced so many other parts to increase HP? Anyway if anyone followed your advice this guy will have an illegal exhaust on his car and lose his trucking license when he gets tickets. Additionally, An external dump on a street car is just a bad idea. It's loud and unnecessary unless you are intending to show off to friends. If one needs to run an external dump on a factory internal WG to just eek out that last amount of creep you have a badly designed turbo. Factory parts are always more durable than SSAC and almost always more durable than aftermarket parts that's why this one lasted 120k.

Last edited by Bimmubishi; Jan 29, 2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 07:13 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bimmubishi
How much of a before and after test would we have if we replaced so many other parts to increase HP? Anyway if anyone followed your advice this guy will have an illegal exhaust on his car and lose his trucking license when he gets tickets. Additionally, An external dump on a street car is just a bad idea. It's loud and unnecessary unless you are intending to show off to friends. If one needs to run an external dump on a factory internal WG to just eek out that last amount of creep you have a badly designed turbo. Factory parts are always more durable than SSAC and almost always more durable than aftermarket parts that's why this one lasted 120k.
I thought you said he already had an aftermarket exhaust? If he is an MA resident altering the exhaust beyond an OEM equivalent will make it illegal.

I agree with you about the external dump, i have never found a reason for it on a stock appearing turbo unless you are trying to scrape the last bit of HP out of a setup. But i completely disagree that factory parts are always more durable than aftermarket parts.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 07:16 AM
Account Disabled

Mike this is a digression to say the least. Read the law again. It says no such thing. (anyway he is not a MA resident insofar as car registration.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-16.htm
Old Jan 29, 2009, 07:21 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

huh? I thought this means it has to be an OEM or OEM equivalent. Anything different makes it illegal. All i am saying is that the O2 housing wont make it any more illegal than it already is.

No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 07:33 AM
Account Disabled

1) That's an incorrect interpretation you have.

2) Is this your car? No. So don't worry about why he is doing things the way he is.

3) PM me if you want to talk about law. I can do it all day we can also argue to make you feel cool. There is a huge distinction between an external dump and a notoriously quiet aftermarket muffler with a resonator inline (and a cat!) The inspection sticker on most cars with aftermarket mufflers will tell you that.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 07:40 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

1) That's an incorrect interpretation you have.

2) Is this your car? No. So don't worry about why he is doing things the way he is.

3) PM me if you want to talk about law. I can do it all day we can also argue to make you feel cool. There is a huge distinction between an external dump and a notoriously quiet aftermarket muffler with a resonator inline (and a cat!) The inspection sticker on most cars with aftermarket mufflers will tell you that.
Who is arguing? I am being completely level headed, and i AGREED with you about the O2 dump. I also run a very quiet catback and a cat. I was just saying the way i interpreted the law, since i have fought a ticket on it recently, is that you are not allowed to alter beyond OEM equivalent.

I could give a sh*t about that car, i was just saying that any SS recirculated O2 housing will not make the exhaust anymore illegal than it is.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just grind away at it, should be plenty of meat after 1mm
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:33 AM

What's the status of the car at this point? Is it close to be tuned? I'm just dying to know the results of this turbo.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:10 PM
Account Disabled

Are you ready for the biggest buzzkill ever?

The clutch slipped at 14lbs!!!
woooshhh... that's the sound of the wind leaving my sails.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Old Jan 29, 2009, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Are you ready for the biggest buzzkill ever? The clutch slipped at 14lbs!!! woooshhh... that's the sound of the wind leaving my sails.
Wow, that really is a bummer! Sorry to hear about the clutch. You are right. For comparisonīs sake it would be best to only swap the turbo leaving everything else as is.

Buschur offers(at least he used to?) a ported stock O2 housing that shouldnīt conflict with state law.

I also agree with you up to a point that dumps are usually overkill on a stock-based turbo. Itīs just that the stock unported O2 housing is undeniably a restriction even on a perfectly stock VIII 16G.

It wasnīt my intention to take the thread off on a tangent. So, sorry for the OT. Good luck with the Tomei ARMS! Iīll stay tuned to see how you like it.

Quick Reply: TOMEI Announces ARMS M7960 Turbine Kit