Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Valve Train Opinions:: Cossy,BC,FP,ST ? Which One ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe BC springs have the heaviest spring load.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ch53avitech
I believe BC springs have the heaviest spring load.
Brian crower?? that must be a joke.. LOL
Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
+1
Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Alright thanks a lot HeadGames for the info. Looks like Im going to go for springs, retainers, seats, locks, and guides from Ferrea. Ill be mainly daily driving the car and the driving it to the track often hopefully this year coming.

THanks again for the insight.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

I have been read alot of posts bashing BC. I have the BC nitride coated valves and the BC pro series rods. Pistons are CP and my springs and retainers are WORKS. Any input on the BC stuff I have? should I worry about the valves? I figure Crower has been making rods forever, so I figured I couldn't go wrong there. Am I wrong?
Old Dec 25, 2008, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Your valves are probably fine. You see 1000 places selling private label valves and most of them are made in the same plant. The same goes for his springs...someone else makes them. You read bad stuff about BC because of issues on cam centerlines being off and some other quality control issues. Some of the same guys that badmouth the BC stuff are running the parts by the company that makes BC

We use Ferrea valves for two reasons...1: We spend less time on the valve grinder with them. They are always round, always straight, and I can't say that for other valve mfgs. When we have an issue, they listen. That means something to me. 2: They make us a custom valve and it is easy to have changes made. I don't run a Ferrea spring anymore because we were going for something a little more exotic that will last longer, but for EVOs...Ferrea stuff fits snug and lasts awhile. You guys pushing big power should easily be replacing springs twice a season depending on how hard you are running your car.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 12:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ferrea components get my vote...they are a tried and true product, and are used in engines making ginormous amounts of power and are rev'd to retarded engine speeds. However I just wanted to mention that stiffer valve springs affect a number of things. While over all they are definitely beneficial, and everything depends on HOW STIFF you go, but lets just say for now, the stiffer you go, the more you will decrease your chance of valve float at high revs, and the more you will increase your chances of different types of mechanical failure from:

-Over stressing the timing belt- (people forget that the stiffer the spring, the more tension there is on the actual timing belt). A kevlar timing belt is a VERY good idea when using stiffer springs
-Adjustable cam gear failure- Make sure you use a quality adjustable cam gear, because with stiffer springs comes more torsional stress on the cam gears. If it slips can say ADIOS to your expensive little engine.
-Camshaft deflection or camshaft bearing failure-stiffer springs put more loading on the camshafts themselves, which over time can cause excessive wear on the bearings, or even crack one of the bearing caps.

I think this about covers it. Happy revving!

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Dec 26, 2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 02:23 AM
Evolved Member

Are the GSC Power-Division Beehive springs a good choice for the GSC S1 Cams for an Evo with bolt ons and a stock appearance turbo like the green or red? For an application with a Redline in the 8K ballpark?
Old Dec 26, 2008, 02:42 AM
Evolved Member

ive always used supertechs..however i am going to try Ferrea based on Mikes@awd recommendations!!
Old Dec 26, 2008, 09:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dxbevo9
ive always used supertechs..however i am going to try Ferrea based on Mikes@awd recommendations!!
Thanks for the support.. We have plenty of Ferrea Valvetrain in stock!!
Old Dec 27, 2008, 02:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DRAG
You guys pushing big power should easily be replacing springs twice a season depending on how hard you are running your car.
What is big power?!? I don't hit the road course every weekend but I drive it to work every day...sometimes a little faster then others How often should the springs be changed if the car is daily driven, track day car?

Last edited by casper980; Dec 27, 2008 at 02:31 AM.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by casper980
What is big power?!? I don't hit the road course every weekend but I drive it to work every day...sometimes a little faster then others How often should the springs be changed if the car is daily driven, track day car?
There are so many factors that can contribute...driving style, which spring you are running, how aggressive your cam is, etc...

If I was running over 500hp and a good spring like a Ferrea, I would check them for fatique at 6 months. I have murdered springs long before that, but it isn't realistic to tell people to do it more often than that. You will probably find that they are perfectly fine and can go right back in and be pissed at the a** online that suggested it I hate working on cars so do like me and just let it ride and face the consequences later

One of the reason's (other than what I previously mentioned) I went from a Ferrea to a PSI spring was that the PSI holds up more than twice as long...and at that point is it easier to maintain and more economical. With these itty bitty EVO cams, a Ferrea spring will last a LONG time.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
While I have several Ferrea dual spring valve train setups, I will simply observe that Kiggly has done an enormous amount of valve spring testing during his career of engineering and modifying his 4g63 powered FWD racecar to be one of the fastest FWD race cars in the world. That's why the Kiggly bee hive springs are highly regarded and recommended. He didn't just find them in a supplier catalog somewhere and put his name on them...
Old Jan 3, 2009, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Then who does?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Great thread...i figured I would bump it to hear more about the PSI springs...

Have you guys used RCS Ti valve springs before?