Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

cometic head gasket size question?? PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2008, 07:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mr.green
I have a Cometic headgasket and have zero issues with it. If you are bored over I would think you do a 86mm.

I went with the theory if Cometic was a good choice for older 4g63's why wouldn't it be for newer ones. I had lots of friends use them with no trouble. I really don't believe a headgasket like an HKS or anything will be built 200+ dollars differently then a OEM or more affordable brand.
There was a post on Eric Hsu's JDM blog regarding how headgaskets seal. THey put some sort of agent/dye which shows how well the headgasket seals to the head/block.

The OEM did pretty well. THe Cosworth was superior. THe Cometic left a lot to be desired.

Granted, Hsu works for Cosworth, but the information was interesting. Anecdotally, people seem to have had issues with Cometic. However, I am no expert.

As a general car parts aside:

MIL.SPEC has talked to some manufacturers. With one of them, we pointed out tooling marks on their product, which could be an issue in a high stress environment. They mentioned no one had pointed out the tooling marks before (I found that hard to believe). The point is, with cars you want people who pay attention to details. You don't want to deal with people or companies who dismiss things out of hand or plead ignorance. The head gasket is a very important part. You want a company who cares about the details, if you know what I mean. Cosworth seems to be one of those companies.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much everyone. Love the info, The engine builder said to use a Cometic and such so that's why I am looking into them.

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
There was a post on Eric Hsu's JDM blog regarding how headgaskets seal. THey put some sort of agent/dye which shows how well the headgasket seals to the head/block.

The OEM did pretty well. THe Cosworth was superior. THe Cometic left a lot to be desired.

Granted, Hsu works for Cosworth, but the information was interesting. Anecdotally, people seem to have had issues with Cometic. However, I am no expert.

As a general car parts aside:

MIL.SPEC has talked to some manufacturers. With one of them, we pointed out tooling marks on their product, which could be an issue in a high stress environment. They mentioned no one had pointed out the tooling marks before (I found that hard to believe). The point is, with cars you want people who pay attention to details. You don't want to deal with people or companies who dismiss things out of hand or plead ignorance. The head gasket is a very important part. You want a company who cares about the details, if you know what I mean. Cosworth seems to be one of those companies.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:41 AM

hey

im building my evo right now with .020 over pistons and im ready to buy a head gasket

i was thinking about oem one or cometic since i used cometic in my gsx all the time with no problems

now my question is can i buy oem mls head gasket .020 over ?? what should i do if my bore is 85.5 and there is no cometic hg 85.5

thank you
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:14 AM

anyone ?