Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Walbro Install Help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2008, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walbro Install Help

I just got done installing my FP Walbro (342?) pump and the car wont start... The car cranks fine and I had another set of hands tell me that the pump does appear to be running while cranking, then when I stop cranking the pump whines higher before turning off. What is my issue? Im worried I did some damage to the wire harness while pulling the pump from the main housing, does this sound like an issue even given the pump is clearly running? Thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2008, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the pressure line in the tank might have come off the pump. check that.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wevo1985
the pressure line in the tank might have come off the pump. check that.
You mean one of the three tubes connected to the top of the housing?
Old Dec 26, 2008, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

anyone? could this be related to the gasket on the outlet of the pump (top)? I reused the OEM gasket and white collar from the old pump.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

im sure you pressed the gas pedal to the floor and cranked it...right??
try that if nothing then go back and check the fuel lines
Old Dec 26, 2008, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

im sure you pressed the gas pedal to the floor and cranked it...right??
try that if nothing then go back and check the fuel lines
Old Dec 26, 2008, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if the install is anything like the walbro 255 install then its the doughnut hose not being lined up properly. Check my website for the install where i go over the not starting issue.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3123213/6
Old Dec 26, 2008, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
if the install is anything like the walbro 255 install then its the doughnut hose not being lined up properly. Check my website for the install where i go over the not starting issue.
Thanks! I was almost to this point thinking that might have been an inertial cutoff switch for safety and that I had engaged it, I will check this out as I think its probably my problem. Thanks again!
Old Dec 26, 2008, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Protostar1
You mean one of the three tubes connected to the top of the housing?
no, the one inside the tank that goes right to the pump, sorry it took a bit to get back to you.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
pretty sweet web page
Old Dec 26, 2008, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Okay, I just removed that black plug with the black wire running to it and reseated the o-ring on to the black plug and no joy. I still think that the issue lies with this o-ring, how is it supposed to fit into the small cylinder? If you look up into it there is a very small black pad with a metal tab sticking out from under it and the black plug im referring to has a smaller diameter cylinder which is the size of the inner diameter of the o-ring. Someone help me out!

EDIT: Is the ring supposed to sit all the way DOWN on the black plug or on TOP of the plug?? I put it all the way on the plug, maybe this is wrong...

Last edited by Protostar1; Dec 26, 2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 06:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Okay, I just removed that black plug with the black wire running to it and reseated the o-ring on to the black plug and no joy. I still think that the issue lies with this o-ring, how is it supposed to fit into the small cylinder? If you look up into it there is a very small black pad with a metal tab sticking out from under it and the black plug im referring to has a smaller diameter cylinder which is the size of the inner diameter of the o-ring. Someone help me out!

EDIT: Is the ring supposed to sit all the way DOWN on the black plug or on TOP of the plug?? I put it all the way on the plug, maybe this is wrong...
They are talking about the o-ring on the actual pump, on the top of the pump next to where the electrical connection is.

You have to pull the pump back out of the assembly. If the o-ring isn't on the pump then look down the part of the assembly where the pump fit in.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 06:44 PM
Former Sponsor

You should have transfered the white plastic hat bushing from the old pump outlet to the new pump. This holds the black rubber seal bushing from slipping down too far on the pump. To seal the new pumps outlet to the sending unit, the black rubber bushing that was on the factory pump also needs to be on the pump (do not use anything that was in the Walbro kit other than the pump and fuel sock). When you took your old pump out, the black rubber seal bushing either came out on the old pump outlet or stayed in the sending unit. If it stayed in the sending unit, it may not have seated correctly on the new pump during installation. Pull the pump out and use a blunt screwdriver to pull the rubber bushing out of the sending unit and place it on the top of the new pump and reinstall it. Make sure it is not ripped or deformed while it is out.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
They are talking about the o-ring on the actual pump, on the top of the pump next to where the electrical connection is.

You have to pull the pump back out of the assembly. If the o-ring isn't on the pump then look down the part of the assembly where the pump fit in.
Take a look at RockmanX's link and scroll to nearly the bottom where he does the Walbro install. In the white housing next to the cylinder for the pump itself there is another small cylinder with a black plug and black wire on the bottom of it. If you remove that clip, there is a small o-ring inside. This o-ring could definitely obstruct the fuel path if in the wrong position and there clearly some type of electrical connection there. This appears to be some kind of inertia cutoff switch and if the o-ring and clip are in the wrong position, the fuel will not flow. I am wondering where the o-ring should go, I would assume there are only two positions, between the small metal prong in the cylinder and the top of the black plug, or pushed all the way down on the black plug, the way I have it now with no function. I now have no clue how it goes on. Is there a diagram of the whole housing in the Service Manual that I am missing?
Old Dec 26, 2008, 06:46 PM
Former Sponsor

This picture shows the proper placement of the white plastic hat bushing on the fuel pump. The black rubber seal bushing goes on top of that.

Quick Reply: Walbro Install Help