Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Stg1... Who's got one, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2008, 12:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the Exedy Stg 2 is a puck style clutch. It is a bit more aggressive than the organic but the added holding power and longevity you gain is worth it IMO.

You went a long time on your stock clutch and I am sure the Stg 1 would suit you fine. I would most likely compare it to a stock replacement clutch.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 01:13 PM

I have the Exedy Stage 1 and Fidonza flywheel. No problems, although the pedal is heavy, but its not a problem. I did adjust the clutch pedal, and no lock out.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem with the Stg1 Exedy is that the pressure plate has more clamping force which causes the disc to wear faster than the OEM combo. Plus it makes the engagement very rough for a full face clutch - I liken it to a puck style clutch as far as roughness. btw.. The OEM clutch is an Exedy unit and it's painted purple like their Stg4 racing clutches. The Exedy Stg1 is not purple like their racing clutches, in fact it could be made in china for all I know. Scott from TTP has said numerous times that the OEM clutch is a better unit than the Stg1 and now I believe him based on my experience with it. Or at least the pressure plate and disc seem to be better matched. That's a big part of the Stg1's problem is that the pedal is very heavy which makes smooth engagement even more difficult than it would be if the pedal didnt require so much force. Literally I put it in neutral at stoplights as my leg gets tired of holding it.

I'll say it again, if you got 60K from the OEM - stick with it. No need to void your powertrain warranty if you still have one. You dont have to have mitsubishi install it, you can order from the mitsu parts guy on here and even get a discount. But if your looking for something stronger to hold more power, look at a different clutch than the Stg1. I have no axe to grind, IMO Exedy makes fine clutches but the stg1 is not a good combo for the Evo. Sucks that I'm having to do my own clutch again after only 12mos.

Other clutches that we've installed / driven.

Exedy Twin SD - Light pedal, mild engagement, noisey twin chatter, expensive, very strong

Fidanza Carbon Kevlar 3.2 - very light pedal, smooth engagement, no chatter, expensive for a single, strong

Exedy stg1 - medium-heavy pedal, rough engagement, light chatter, doesnt like abuse

OEM - light pedal, smooth engagement, no chatter, doesnt like abuse
Old Dec 28, 2008, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
The problem with the Stg1 Exedy is that the pressure plate has more clamping force which causes the disc to wear faster than the OEM combo. Plus it makes the engagement very rough for a full face clutch - I liken it to a puck style clutch as far as roughness. btw.. The OEM clutch is an Exedy unit and it's painted purple like their Stg4 racing clutches. The Exedy Stg1 is not purple like their racing clutches, in fact it could be made in china for all I know. Scott from TTP has said numerous times that the OEM clutch is a better unit than the Stg1 and now I believe him based on my experience with it. Or at least the pressure plate and disc seem to be better matched. That's a big part of the Stg1's problem is that the pedal is very heavy which makes smooth engagement even more difficult than it would be if the pedal didnt require so much force. Literally I put it in neutral at stoplights as my leg gets tired of holding it.

I'll say it again, if you got 60K from the OEM - stick with it. No need to void your powertrain warranty if you still have one. You dont have to have mitsubishi install it, you can order from the mitsu parts guy on here and even get a discount. But if your looking for something stronger to hold more power, look at a different clutch than the Stg1. I have no axe to grind, IMO Exedy makes fine clutches but the stg1 is not a good combo for the Evo. Sucks that I'm having to do my own clutch again after only 12mos.

Exedy Twin SD - Light pedal, mild engagement, noisey twin chatter, expensive, very strong

Fidanza Carbon Kevlar 3.2 - very light pedal, smooth engagement, no chatter, expensive for a single, strong

Exedy stg1 - medium-heavy pedal, rough engagement, light chatter, doesnt like abuse

I was aware the OE is made by Exedy, and I think the stock clutch is a good piece. I just want something that can take a little more abuse than it can. I don't need a puck style though. Such is my dilemma...
Old Dec 28, 2008, 02:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Get the act with a street disc.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

i had the exedy stage 1 in my integra and my last evo, it served me well. i currently have the ACT HDSS with no lockout issues. I went with the ACT HDSS since i heard nothing but good things about it but the exedy stage 1 is a decent clutch if you dont have a high hp car.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:52 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The OEM clutch is better than the EXEDY stage 1. We've never seen a clutch burn up faster than the stage 1 EXEDY.

We do have a specialty model ACT which has a stocklike pedal effort with the holding capacity of 600tq which we have installed over a hundred of. Many of our top stock turbo customers have used them well into the low 11's. Driveability is still good and there are no lockouts at high rpms experienced with the unit.

Let us know if you are interested and we can provide you more info via PM.

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX

Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So from what I gather the Exedy Stg1 is not what i'm looking for. Looks like I have more research to do...
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

i had an exedy stage 1 in my car for about 15,000 miles and had to replace it. I hated the clutch from day one. I had it w/ a gruppe s flywheel. The pedal is very heavy, engagement sucks, and lots of chatter. I now have a ACT HDSS w/ a new gruppe s flywheel and it is fine. The pedal "feel" is way lighter and it engages very well.

I would highly recommend you choose another clutch other than the exedy stage 1.

Last edited by joseph k; Nov 12, 2010 at 02:08 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

ACT HDSS it holds more than a Stage 2 Exedy and isn't a puck style disc.

It also cost $500 from vendors on here.

If you daily drive your car stay away from puck style clutches. Puck style clutches are not meant for daily driving they are made for track days.

ACT HDSS holds about 500 WTQ and feels just like stock.

I run the HDSS sprung street disc with a stock resurfaced flywheel, it gets the job done.

P.S. dont waste your time with Exedy unless its a twin disc

Last edited by beemerfreak; Dec 29, 2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

sorry for bumping such an old thread........

Just got off the phone with Shep trans and they suggest the Exedy stg1 w/ organic disc for stock to mild evo's. I told him I was making 300-330whp and the Exedy st1 w/ organic disc is what they recommended. Most other clutches are over kill.

I am currently running ACT HDSS kit with resurfaced,stock flywheel and have had no problems with it. But this time I think I'm going to go with the Exedy. Just my .02 cents
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joseph k
i had an exedy stage 1 in my car for about 15,000 miles and had to replace it. I hated the clutch from day one. I had it w/ a gruppe s flywheel. The pedal is very heavy, engagement sucks, and lots of chatter. I now have a ACT HDSS w/ a new gruppe s flywheel and it is fine. he pedal "feel" is way lighter and it engages very well.

I would highly recommend you choose another clutch other than the exedy stage 1.
just sayin'

Last edited by joseph k; Nov 12, 2010 at 02:08 AM.