Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Waste Gate Actuator Findings

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Waste Gate Actuator Findings

I was having major boost creep issues with my green and tubular O2 houshing. I pulled them apart and sure enough the O2 housing needed some major porting on the waste gate side. I ported the O2 to about the size of an oblong golf ball.

I figured since it was apart I would check the hotside. I ended up porting out the waste gate holes on the 10.5 quite a bit.

Then I checked the tension and throw of the waste gate actuator. It turns out that the actuator only opens the wastegate about a third of the way. I tried several rod adjustments and settled with it with the longest possible and still hold the wastegate shut.

I had a stock turbo laying aroung and checked it too. The same thing, it only opens about a third of the way. I did notice that the stock 9.8 housing with the dual hole wastegate holes has more flow area than the split single hole on the 10.5.

Does anyone know of an actuator with more throw so I can get the wastegate to open fully????

If it matters I have all supporting mods for the green and I tune with EcuFlash. I am tuned at 25PSI on 93 with mild timing but great gas mileage.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the wg just opens a third of the way, i'm not sure why you would need a new WG. I think just porting the o2 should have done the job.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What WGA does your Green have on it? Is it stock, FP, Forge, Buschur, or etc.? How did you test the WGA's travel? Did you use a MityVac?
Old Jan 26, 2009, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the turbo off of the car to port the hot side and O2. When I took the O2 off I checked the throw of the WG by pulling the rod until it stops. As it turns out the WG will only open the flap valve about a third of the way.

I ended up porting out the hot side a ton and porting the O2. Doing this did solve the boost creep.