Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Problems... boost leak or clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2003, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problems... boost leak or clutch?

Well.... im not sure if its a boost leak or if my clutch is gone or some other problems..... but when i accelerate.... around 3000rpms it jumps to 4000rpms in split sec and then dips down 500rpms or so then slowly goes back up...... and does the samething around higher rpms (rpm dips down and goes back up).... higher the gears more i think its not "pulling" like in 5th gear rpm will dip down 500rpms- 1000rpms for a sec then come back up but real slow.....

in a way my car's acc. feels even faster cuz the 3000rpm to 4000rpm jump and it pulls but then it lags when the rpm dips down....

any info of any kind is appreciated!

thanks,

BTW, this happend out of no where.. car was completely fine and one day i was driving home and was accelerating in 5th and i noticed the rpm dip/ lag....
Old Sep 11, 2003, 07:48 PM

clutch. happened just like that to me.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Problems... boost leak or clutch?

Originally posted by xkpbreaker
Well.... im not sure if its a boost leak or if my clutch is gone or some other problems..... but when i accelerate.... around 3000rpms it jumps to 4000rpms in split sec and then dips down 500rpms or so then slowly goes back up...... and does the samething around higher rpms (rpm dips down and goes back up).... higher the gears more i think its not "pulling" like in 5th gear rpm will dip down 500rpms- 1000rpms for a sec then come back up but real slow.....

in a way my car's acc. feels even faster cuz the 3000rpm to 4000rpm jump and it pulls but then it lags when the rpm dips down....

any info of any kind is appreciated!

thanks,

BTW, this happend out of no where.. car was completely fine and one day i was driving home and was accelerating in 5th and i noticed the rpm dip/ lag....
Dude, your clutch is just about shot .... however, sounds like you have a 'little' bit of time before the car becomes stationary. When the clutch begins to slip in EVERY gear ... you know you'd betta ACT fast! Also, if you plan to retain the stock flywheel, be careful because the more you drive it likew that, the worse off your flywheel is gunna be when you burn & warp it to ****. Just go easy on now ... shift gears quickly (under 3000 rpm if possible).

ACT = go to RRE and order your new ACT evo kit ... just got mine in and it looks like one bad **** set-up (PP has approx. 40% more clamping power over stock). No need to spend 10 million on an Exedy kit IMHO when the ACT is well suited for launching and street use ... and ONLY $495 bones shouldn't break the bank. I'll let you know how it works out after I get it in late next week. Just pm then if your interested in a review.

P.S. You spell like **** dude!

Last edited by evo1; Sep 11, 2003 at 08:29 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 08:34 PM

Can the clutch go out like dat... that fast?... It was completely fine about 3 days ago and happend out of no where..... damn the stock clutch!
Old Sep 11, 2003, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by xkpbreaker
Can the clutch go out like dat... that fast?... It was completely fine about 3 days ago and happend out of no where..... damn the stock clutch!
Of course it can ... its starts in 1 of the gears and then eventually, it slips in all gears. If you get on it while its slipping like that, you will burn it up much faster .... and the car will eventually go nowhere .... you will hit the gas and the rpms wil;l fly but the car will just sit there ... so take it easy!

Mine happened just like that too at 9600 miles .... how many miles do you have on your evo?
Old Sep 11, 2003, 08:54 PM
In Timeout

I think mine is crapping out at well, I have 4100 miles and I had the same suck *** clutch in my NSX as well. At least it's not 2200 like the NSX clutch from Comptech was. What is the labor to install a clutch?
Old Sep 11, 2003, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

xkpbreaker;

Here's the thing .... which ever kit you decide to go with .... just be sure you use SILVER SURFER'S mod. If you don't already know, order a steel braided clutch line and remove the factory clutch restrictor. The will improve the life of the clutch and will add more performance. I wish I would have done this sooner ... but by the time I hreard about it, my clutch was already fried. All it takes is approx. 5-6 times of smokin' that clutch and it's basically done!

Don't fully blame the stock clutch though .... because it's actually quite good according to Dirk@ACT. Your premature clutch failure is most likely the result of the stock restrictor, the evo in general(awd + R compound tires + MASSIVE TORQUE), and your launching the car ... or driving in genral that destroyed the clutch. The bottom line is that the stock clutch has a difficult time handling the TQ on this car (clamping load of stock pressure plate is too weak -- ESPECIALLY if you have mods or had never driven an AWD car before), and since the car is AWD with R Compound tires, there is nothing to break lose expect for the clutch man.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Ryanmcd2
What is the labor to install a clutch?

Wouldn't that be dependent on a ton of different variables?

Ask around in your area ... but don't take it to the dealer = $850 or higher.

I have an excellent local performance shop here that I trust w/ my life, but they are not cheap. I'm looking at $650 or so. However, RRE in Cali claims they do it for $350 --- but that's all the way and Cali so it doesn't do me any good whatsoever.

Just be sure to get a flat rate up front or you could get screwed when it's all said and done. Most shopd will quote in the ballpark of 10 hrs labor.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by evo1

Of course it can ... its starts in 1 of the gears and then eventually, it slips in all gears. If you get on it while its slipping like that, you will burn it up much faster .... and the car will eventually go nowhere .... you will hit the gas and the rpms wil;l fly but the car will just sit there ... so take it easy!

Mine happened just like that too at 9600 miles .... how many miles do you have on your evo?

I just hit 5000 miles today ..... I'll have it checked out soon as I can..... thanks for the info
Old Apr 28, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

11k and mine was shot. the act is on the way