Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question power steering fluid

Is it ok to use Prestone power steering fluid(safe most imports it reads) or does it have to be OEM fluid? The manual says OEM but I just wanted to know before I make the hour freeway drive.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i will be using the redline power steering fluid when i am ready
Old Jun 20, 2015, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curious as to if anyone else tried Prestone Power Steering "Asian" Edition. Instead of stating Import/Foreign/Japanese Cars..it says Asian on the label.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used Subaru ATF, only ATF we had in stock at the shop. Been in there since 2012 and no issues yet knock on wood.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
power steering fluid

ATF, doesn't matter what kind..
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
A Mitsu technician I talked to said using OEM power steering fluid is important enough that when he found his dealership didn't carry it he insisted that they get it.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by barneyb
A Mitsu technician I talked to said using OEM power steering fluid is important enough that when he found his dealership didn't carry it he insisted that they get it.
OEM power steering fluid is............................................ATF. .
Old Jun 22, 2015, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
OEM power steering fluid is............................................ATF. .
I don't know what OEM power steering fluid is but it is a different product. When I stopped at the Mitsubishi dealership in Fort Collins, Colorado, I was sold ATF as power steering fluid. When I told my Mitsubishi technician friend, he was steamed.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by barneyb
I don't know what OEM power steering fluid is but it is a different product. When I stopped at the Mitsubishi dealership in Fort Collins, Colorado, I was sold ATF as power steering fluid. When I told my Mitsubishi technician friend, he was steamed.

Last time I looked, Mitsu calls for diamond SP3, which is atf. Even if its not, your tech friend needs to chill out. Power steering is simply a hydraulic system, it doesn't have crazy fluid requirements unless its an electro-hydro rack, and our cars are't. ATF is glorified hydraulic fluid with extra detergents (a lot of them). You'll be fine. Ford, for example, has used the same fluid for transmissions and power steering since forever..
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Oh the old debate. People saying ATF and PSF are the same are the same people who suggest that napa oil is the same as amsoil - or "oil is oil" and "hydro is hydro." It's not exactly the same nor is it the best thing you can use. So if your the type that forks up for Amsoil or Brad Penn in your engine, then you should also use the recommended PSF in your power steering. Those of you that have drums of ATF and don't mind or care then by all means.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:37 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
any ATF works well unless you are really hard on it. i've boiled PS fluid twice LOL (not in my car, though). i still use OEM just because . plus, the dealership is only a mile away.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Balrok
Oh the old debate. People saying ATF and PSF are the same are the same people who suggest that napa oil is the same as amsoil - or "oil is oil" and "hydro is hydro." It's not exactly the same nor is it the best thing you can use. So if your the type that forks up for Amsoil or Brad Penn in your engine, then you should also use the recommended PSF in your power steering. Those of you that have drums of ATF and don't mind or care then by all means.

Power steering is just a simple rotary vein pump, and in the case of a power rack a spool/rotary valve on the input shaft, and a hydraulic cylinder. You can put in it whatever you want. It's a hydraulic system that strains the fluid far less than a transmission.

Certain cars do require specific fluid. Honda being one of them due to specific additives they want in the fluid, and most Euro's call for mineral oil. And the electro-hydro systems call for special fluid typically. But that's it.

Also, ATF is only red because it is dyed red. Imagine the confusion if it wasn't dyed, then people really wouldn't know what to use because it would be the same color as PSF...

Also, just looked it up. Mitsu rec's PSF, Diamond SP, or Diamond SPIII. So, it would seem mitsu doesn't really care what goes in it..

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Jun 22, 2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:26 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Imagine the confusion if it wasn't dyed, then people really wouldn't know what to use because it would be the same color as PSF...
that makes me LOL until i imagine myself trying to figure out where the leak is coming from >

now.... if i can find a dye that's safe to add to my brake fluid...
Old Jan 5, 2016, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought some OEM PSF for my 2005 Evo VIII from Mitsubishiparts.net. It came in a 1 liter (34 ounce) metal can, with both Japanese and English writing. It was labeled DiaQueen PSF part 4039645. And it was red. Don't know if it is identical to OEM ATF or not, but as long as the sell a separate PSF, that's what I use when I want OEm

Also, what are the conditions to check the level to see if it is properly between min and max? Running or engine off? Hot or cold? I am used to my GMC truck having a Hot line and Cold line, not a min and max line.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 08:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Running, and hot.

Quick Reply: power steering fluid