Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

It's a foking DSM afterall!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:55 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
It's a foking DSM afterall!

So the common thread with all things evo related is that they are reliable, powerful, and streetable. That's how I always have felt, it's an evolution of what dsm's were. Where they failed, the newer evos strive, blah blah blah. No I didn't mean to preach it or really really heartfully mean it because the newest dsm is 4 years older than the oldest evo (USDM).

I lost a little faith in my evo recently, and really it's just the icing on the cake of **** that's happened with it recently. I am *never* nice to the car. It gets driven 40-100 miles per day, several hundred miles per week, and over a thousand miles per month. I'm playing with E85, alky, pushing the tune, blah blah blah so really some of this stuff comes as no surprise. Water pump leaking, check. Timing belt tensioner on backwards, check (all me). Headgasket, check. Water pump freeze plug blowing out on xmas day, in front of 2 members and later 20+ members of my family, check. Weird-*** electrical gremlins popping up out of nowhere, check-check-WHAT?

That's right, go mitsubishi. There's a seal that goes through the fender that leaks. No recall, nor a TSB (that I've found). Yet water leaks in, dripps down onto the main wiring harness and its 6 big plugs, and then goes ahead and corrodes the living **** out of them.

I'll let the pictures do the talking, I can't believe I had to do this to my *2005* evo. It's still ****ing new to me. Soldering to follow.

Screwdriver points to the faulty seal thingy:

It's winter in MN, water gets everywhere! EVERYWHERE!

Last edited by scheides; Dec 29, 2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:55 PM
EvoM Moderator

ps--my car has 63000 miles on it. Not that mitsu would do anything about this anyways.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
hey wasnt there a member here that had all his wires replaced under warranty for the same thing?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles scheides. All that really sucks, but i guess that what happens when you live where it snows. We have it pretty good in California, except for the smog regulations and crappy gas. Good luck with your evo.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmm....this is actually kind of scary. I really hope this is a rare occurance. Anyway, im sorry to hear about your situation.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DRAGHICI
hey wasnt there a member here that had all his wires replaced under warranty for the same thing?
I think I've seen a couple people post about this issue.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought this was in a tsb, seen a few posts about it... sorry to see that though... lots of unnecessary work
Old Dec 30, 2008, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lilredbox
Hmmmm....this is actually kind of scary. I really hope this is a rare occurance. Anyway, im sorry to hear about your situation.
actually, this is pretty common. search "electrical gremlins". I knew this before I bought an Evo, even.

Little bit of sealant around that grommet is a good preventative fix. Hoping I make it all winter, gonna check in the spring
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Pretty frustrating but seems to be somewhat common given the size of the other thread. Did you seal around the grommet after you rewired everything?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:58 PM

Where is that connector exactly? I'm going to go ahead and fix that problem. Pics, please, if its possible
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:24 PM
EvoM Moderator

The pics are posted here and the other thread people are talking about is here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...zy-help-3.html

This is behind the driver's kick panel. Pop it off and you cannot miss the 7 big plugs there.

I got the wiring done tonight and sealed up the grommet. It was a ***** to get all the silicone up in there nice and smoove. Not a fun job. Car drives like it should now. Maybe this is the trade-off I get for having E85 around every corner!?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scheides
I got the wiring done tonight and sealed up the grommet. It was a ***** to get all the silicone up in there nice and smoove. Not a fun job. Car drives like it should now. Maybe this is the trade-off I get for having E85 around every corner!?
What kind of silicone sealer are you using?
Old Dec 31, 2008, 06:21 AM
EvoM Moderator

I was going to use RTV, but I ended up getting some 100% silicone sealant at menards for about $3. Application temps -35 to 135 F, good thing I had the heater on in the garage last night; it's -15 this morning
Old Dec 31, 2008, 06:25 AM
EvoM Moderator

ps--I originally posted this in 'evo general' and now it got moved to turbo-engine-drivetrain...wtf mods!?? what does ecu wiring and water leakage have to do with the turbo, the engine, or the drivetrain? I mean arguably they are related, but then again so is the trunk lid and the rear seat belts...
Old Dec 31, 2008, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
ps--I originally posted this in 'evo general' and now it got moved to turbo-engine-drivetrain...wtf mods!?? what does ecu wiring and water leakage have to do with the turbo, the engine, or the drivetrain? I mean arguably they are related, but then again so is the trunk lid and the rear seat belts...
LOL quite true, this clearly belongs in either General or Advanced-Electrical.

Quick Reply: It's a foking DSM afterall!