Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ix mivec cam gear

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ix mivec cam gear

Putting my engine back together and when putting the cam gears back on the rear cam gear has play when it is on the dowel and bolt tight. Is this something with the mivec where oil pressure can adjust the position or something? This is the gear that has the plastic cover on it. Should I refill it with oil somehow or will the engine do that? I'm lost as to why the gear can be moved when the bolt is tight?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sprx19
Putting my engine back together and when putting the cam gears back on the rear cam gear has play when it is on the dowel and bolt tight. Is this something with the mivec where oil pressure can adjust the position or something? This is the gear that has the plastic cover on it. Should I refill it with oil somehow or will the engine do that? I'm lost as to why the gear can be moved when the bolt is tight?
yes that is correct the camshaft will spin independent of the gear till oil psi is built if you crank the car over a few times but not start it the psi in the motor will build in a crank of the motor or two make sure you have your timing set up right as well ....
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Reviving this thread ... installed cams and when I install the intake mivec cam it actually moves back and forth independently like an inch on both sides... is that correct ?