Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Bad Synchros

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2003, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Bad Synchros

i don't want to sound like im whining....im just simply mentioning this with all of you.

i've got 1800 miles on my evo and i think the synchros are bad. when i shift at 7k rpm into 2nd gear....it grinds......when im driving on the highway....anything after 5k rpm shifting into 5th gear....it grinds.....the car is going back to the dealership friday morning. Lets see how Mitsu takes care of this.

AJ
Old Sep 11, 2003, 09:46 PM
In Timeout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think im really lucky ive put 3000 on my evo in a month and have had none of the probs people complain about.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

u ever think it might be how your driving?
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

i drive my integra the same way and no problems at all
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

2 diff cars 2 diff makers make sure u have clutch 2 floor at that high of revs your prob thinking u are and arnt i did that at first in my car ...
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

well i got like 6,500 miles and i havent had 1 problem at all except squeeky breaks
Old Sep 12, 2003, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

One of my friends here in Houston had the same problem. Except it was grinding going into every gear at any RPM. The dealers excuse was he abused it and they weren't going to warranty it. So he was stuck with a 2grand bill. Oh and his evo only had 3000 miles on it. Really crappy on mitsu's part....
Old Sep 12, 2003, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

I grind when I get impatient with the clutch. Gotta have a real quick foot and pound it to the floor, or chances are it'll grind.
Old Sep 12, 2003, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Yup, after 3000+ miles of canyon carving if you are not deliberate with your left foot you WILL grind. Either adjust your clutch pedal, or get the stainless line. Pedal must go all the way to the floor and you must know how to time your shifts. Coming from the Acura is not the right experience for this type of vehicle, the Honda shifter is just too smooth and vague. You've got to deal with more driveline movement than FWD, the syncros are going to be much slower in this type of vehicle. It's harder to shift an AWD car as smoothly as FWD or RWD, but practice is worth it. I've got 5K+ miles, I'm a very active road type (I take 6-10 hr driving trips through so-cal cpl times a week), I shift the bejezus out of cars to stay in the powerband and I like being in the proper gear at all times. This EVO is wonderful in that regards, very smooth tranny, it just takes timing and practice.

Last edited by DrMerl; Sep 12, 2003 at 07:08 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2003, 04:00 PM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Mine grinds in second also. Problem is, sometimes it doesn't. It ground at 1000 miles which was the first time ever I had it above 5000 RPM. I've tried shifting it 8 times in a row doing it exactly the same way. It might grind the 1rst 2 tries, then not grind twice, then grind again, very inconsistant. I had no problems with my AWD talon or WRX (or 30 something other manual trans vehicles I've owned).
With supposed multple synchros, I'd think it should be almost impossible to grind a gear. I also was of the belief that it was the drivers that just couldn't shift, until it happeneed to me. Dealer claims they can't duplicate it, guess I'll have to take em for a ride. Might as well get the warantee denial over with.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Try granny shifting it, but revving it to 7K. Pound it, pound the clutch to the floor and then shift easily, dont try to do it quickly. If it goes in, you're doing something wrong. I was doing the same thing, the 1-2 shift requires extra car, as does the 4-5 shift. The gear box is very strong on these cars, but when you grind gears you do damage, and trying to make the syncros do more than they are supposed to ultimately leads to damage. I've also been in an Evo with a twin plate clutch and all supporting hardware (steel lines on the system) and the problem was non existant. Ask Al, I dont think he's blown any trannies up yet. YET.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Mine is in the dealer having the 5th gear synchro replaced now. Should get the car back today.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 09:42 AM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Sure, granny shifting it goes right in. Doing something wrong???????????????? Any other way I do it will take MORE TIME!! If this brand new, super stout, multiple synchro'd trans can't keep up with me (during fast, but normal shifting, no powershifts), it is a design flaw. I'd glady fix it myself, (clutch, line, restrictor removal, whatever), but there goes the entire warantee.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

I wonder if Mitsubishi is releasing these cars with mis-adjusted clutch pedals. If the clutch pedal isn't adjusted properly, this is the sort of stuff that will happen.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

My car has 7000 miles now in 3 months, and the grinding issue on the second gear will go away as your Milage gets higher.
When I first got the car the second gear Grinds real bad too when going ova 5000 rpm but after you hit about 1500 to 2000 miles it will get better. My car currently does not grind but second gear is VERY NOTCHY swtiching the manual transaxle fluid will help a bit but not much.

Quick Reply: Bad Synchros