Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Check engine light faulty egr valve help me diagnose the problem.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine light faulty egr valve help me diagnose the problem.

I have a very lightly modded ix (tune, intake, and a tru boost set to around 22 occasionally spiking to 23) on 91 octane. My check engine light went on and diagnostics reported the egr valve isnt working improperly. I don't really know what the egr valve does ( something with emissions and fuel economy?) I have the part on order from Mitsubishi but they really didn't diagnose the problem but are willing to replace it for free. I just want to know if I should be very concerned as this may lead to bigger problems down the road. What could be the cause of this Malfunction? To high of boost on 91 0ctane? I'm a little uneasy about this hopefully it's not to big a deal.

Thanks

Last edited by john.schuber; Dec 30, 2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump for some more info as well.

The exhaust gas recirculation valve is mainly for emissions. So, your CEL came on and it sezs that the EGR isn't working improperly??? Im confused????
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

did you or Mitsu check that all hoses are connected to the egr valve? i think there are 2 underneath where you can not visibly see so you have to feel for it unless you have a small mirror.

also check the CEL # on search here, i think i recall a hose underneath that came off which caused it.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Mitsubishi checked it. I'm sorry I can't help with more info, what I told you is everything I know. Thanks for the help so far.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

I had the EGR code come up a few years ago. I cleared the code but it kept coming back. There were no hoses that come out from the valve or intake manifold and I ordered the valve and the solenoid. When the part came in the I tried clearing the code one more time before installing the valve and it hasn't popped back on since.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

If you go and you fell under the egr valve...if your facing the engine bay its gonna be on the drivers side under the throttle body your gonna have to rach under the cross brace and under the TB and feel you should be able to feel the 2 nipples on the egr and possibly a the hose that has come off and is throwin the code this is a common problem when boosting over 20psi because mitsu. didnt flange the nipple or put a clamp of some sort on it. If this is the problem slide the hose back on there put a zip tie on there to hold it on or a clamp of some sort zip ties are your best friends with vacum lines. your gonna have to get an OBDII reader to clear the code. Good luck..if you need anymore help there are hundreds of threads on the code i think its like p4401 or somethin like that.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

feel**
Old Dec 31, 2008, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by qwon526
did you or Mitsu check that all hoses are connected to the egr valve? i think there are 2 underneath where you can not visibly see so you have to feel for it unless you have a small mirror.

also check the CEL # on search here, i think i recall a hose underneath that came off which caused it.
If I remember correctly its three hoses. Thin black hoses with 3 different color stripes differentiate them.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...low-error.html
Old Dec 31, 2008, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

I got P0401 a few weeks back. Turned out one of the hoses popped off. Check for loose vacuum hoses before you spend $$$ on parts/labor.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

ill put 100$ its the hose's that poped off mine did and got the same code
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:09 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The EGR line is off, EGR valves rarely go bad.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

okay i'll check it thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2009, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

Check all the hoses to the EGR. EGR flow is determined by the ECU. The ECU watches the map sensor data when the EGR solenoid is activated. The amount of vacuum change in the manifold is what the ECU is looking at. Too little change, P0401 EGR Insufficient Flow. I have seen EGR solenoids stick or the orifice in the EGR solenoid get clogged with a small piece of debris. Most likely cause is vacuum hose. Hope this helps!

You should be able to pinch the hoses on top of the throttle body while the engine is running and get the EGR to open and make the car stumble or stall.

Last edited by Mitsutech56; Jan 1, 2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Add diagnostic procedure.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo Tengoku
I got P0401 a few weeks back. Turned out one of the hoses popped off. Check for loose vacuum hoses before you spend $$$ on parts/labor.
I also got this same code yesterday, lol!

I'll go check my EGR hose tomorrow!!!

Quick Reply: Check engine light faulty egr valve help me diagnose the problem.