Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Manley Turbo Tuff's vs. Crower's

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manley Turbo Tuff's vs. Crower's

How's it going guys. I'm basically set on either 1 of these two rods for my build. currently have a HTA30r, but will upgrade to a HTA82 or 6262 in the future after the motor build for 550-600hp...

I know its all a matter of opinion when dealing w/ very good rods as such, but which would you prefer?

the turbo tuff's are 3/8" ARP 2000 rod bolts. Are the Crowers 7/16"?

How can Manley state their turbo tuff i-beams are good for 1000hp, yet the ARP-2000 rod bolt's hp threshold is 800hp (200hp/rod rating)?

Call me skeptical, but i'm just a tad weary doing 27-30psi and worrying about rod bolt failure (extremely rare i know, but i just dont want to **** $ down the drain).

i do like the fact that both are shot-peened, magnafluxed, and somewhat balanced before leaving the doors. tolerances of the Crowers are w/in +/- .0001" while the Manley TT's are +/- .0002", so extremely close.

gimme some opinions. thanks guys.

Mike

oh, and i've read every informative thread/posts that pertained to the two rods in regards to success/strengths that popped up in the search, tho pretty lackluster.

Last edited by norcalSRTrida; Jan 7, 2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only advise I can offer is with the Manley rods, when my builder put everything together all the rods were within 1 gram of each other. I would have to give him a call and ask what the tolerances were since I had him keep my build sheet.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dryad001
The only advise I can offer is with the Manley rods, when my builder put everything together all the rods were within 1 gram of each other. I would have to give him a call and ask what the tolerances were since I had him keep my build sheet.
w/in 1g is pretty good.

my machinist is gunna get the whole piston/rod assemblies w/in .5g of eachother.

my last motor i dropped CP's in on stock rods...and lets just say, this is the reason why i am building another motor... so im pretty paranoid, and will make sure everything is spec'd and balanced as best as it can get.

thanks for the insight.

oh, and did you get the manley H or I beams? and what ya putting down?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

**deleted due to it showing up twice

Last edited by norcalSRTrida; Jan 7, 2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Order a BR stage 3 head and block. 576 hp on PUMP gas on the BR Heartbreaker dyno. Id say the crower rods in my motor are doing great. since this set-up has about 14k miles on it and over 50 passes in the 9s and 10s last year. went 10.38 on pump and 9.89 on Q16.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Celica2EVO
Order a BR stage 3 head and block. 576 hp on PUMP gas on the BR Heartbreaker dyno. Id say the crower rods in my motor are doing great. since this set-up has about 14k miles on it and over 50 passes in the 9s and 10s last year. went 10.38 on pump and 9.89 on Q16.

props on your numbers and 1/4 times man. definately amazing.

unfortunately, i cant afford to buy a BR kit due to a budget. i have some strings thru a very reputable shop locally that will build it all for me.

My main concern is mainly geared toward the capabilities of the ARP-2000 3/8" rodbolts, and whether or not Crower's have 7/16" rod bolts or not (on some car models they do).

Last edited by norcalSRTrida; Jan 7, 2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
You can always upgrade the rods bolts. ARP custom-aged 625's for example.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Crowers use ARP 2000 (or eqv) 3/8 bolts as well.

Rod bolts typically fail from RPM and not power though.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 02:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We always use Turbo Tuff's.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
You can always upgrade the rods bolts. ARP custom-aged 625's for example.
that's a hefty cost to upgrade isnt it? life for example, my bud was quoted for 380 for BC rods w/ ARP2000's, and the same rod w/ the custom aged's for like 630 i believe...

those bolts really that much better/cost effective?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
I'm pretty sure the Crowers use ARP 2000 (or eqv) 3/8 bolts as well.

Rod bolts typically fail from RPM and not power though.
RPM, torque, and detonation are the prime factors. detonation isnt an issue (im an extremely conservative tuner...low to mid 11afrs on race gas AND meth), and rpms wouldn't so much either (7500, w/ the occasionaly slightly higher shifts when necessary).

maybe im being just a lil too paranoid about using the standard ('economy' as some call it) rod bolts?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by norcalSRTrida
w/in 1g is pretty good.

my machinist is gunna get the whole piston/rod assemblies w/in .5g of eachother.

my last motor i dropped CP's in on stock rods...and lets just say, this is the reason why i am building another motor... so im pretty paranoid, and will make sure everything is spec'd and balanced as best as it can get.

thanks for the insight.

oh, and did you get the manley H or I beams? and what ya putting down?
I think the "tuff" rods are i-beam but I could be wrong, id have to look at the box again. I havent gone to the dyno yet since Im still in the 500 break in period and with winter here I think I have 6-10 miles on the engine. Once its all said and done Ill be happy with 700 and thats all I want, anything over that will be too much for the street. If you search my threads I have my build in there but I probably wont update it since there isnt much interest in it. People would rather read about a shop who built their car for them.......

Last edited by dryad001; Jan 7, 2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chris@nolimitmotors
We always use Turbo Tuff's.
they look like an awesome and very sturdy rod. any particular reason why you choose the manleys over crower?

thanks
Old Jan 7, 2009, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dryad001
I think the "tuff" rods are i-beam but I could be wrong, id have to look at the box again. I havent gone to the dyno yet since Im still in the 500 break in period and with winter here I think I have 6-10 miles on the engine. Once its all said and done Ill be happy with 700 and thats all I want, anything over that will be too much for the street. If you search my threads I have my build in there but I probably wont update it since there isnt much interest in it. People would rather read about a shop who built their car for them.......

sorry about that, i was unclear. you're correct. the tuff's are i-beam. they do have a lower grade model in h-beam form though.

i will def. check your build thread out. solo builds are FTW. nothing like buying/piecing and assembling a motor yourself and enjoying the **** out of it.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

interesting thread...subscribed

Quick Reply: Manley Turbo Tuff's vs. Crower's