Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Upgrade Path\Mod List for an FP Red on 93 Pump Gas and Meth Injection

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2009, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbr-drive
Thanks for the great input.

From what I understood, for partial throttle applications (i.e. road racing), the HFS-5 would be the better choice as it varies the injection amount based on IDC rather than just spraying all or none based on MAP (HFS-1). Is that just theory, and as you say, "in the real world" it doesn't matter?
HFS-1 is IDC based as well.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Im glad u made this tread im in the same boat.I can't decide on a red or ets 3076r value kit.If I get the red I could buy a little more stuff or get the kit and save up another 1 to 2 grand to get my car running right.my mods are greedy catbact,act hdd.so i still have a little ways to go if i get one or the other.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but meth+red on a stock block is probably asking for trouble. i think you will definitely be pushing a minimum of 450whp, probably closer to 500whp. On the stock block that is definitely pushing the safety of your motor. I'm sure you will get away with it for awhile, maybe forever, but your definitely playing russian roulette with that motor. At minimum I would get stronger rod bolts but if I were you I would skip meth (at least for now) and build that bottom end! A stroker kit (buschur, ams, jam) would be awesome with the red and you'll have peace of mind when your banging through those gears. Plus the red should be plenty of fun on its own...atleast for a little while haha.

Last edited by john.schuber; Jan 13, 2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Cams would be Kelford 272's (do a search for AMS cam test)

BOV would be JDM metal (crushed for higher boost if needs be) or Synapse Synchronic. APS still has flutter issues...

I would skip the ARP headstuds, I run 30psi for thousands of miles on my stockers and no issues.

I'd also drop the HKS intake for the Perrin, and possibly wait for the redesigned AMS intercooler.

One other thing I would do is leave plenty of room for e85 by going with larger injectors and not bothering with meth at all.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by john.schuber
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but meth+red on a stock block is probably asking for trouble. i think you will definitely be pushing a minimum of 450whp, probably closer to 500whp. On the stock block that is definitely pushing the safety of your motor. I'm sure you will get away with it for awhile, maybe forever, but your definitely playing russian roulette with that motor. At minimum I would get stronger rod bolts but if I were you I would skip meth (at least for now) and build that bottom end! A stroker kit (buschur, ams, jam) would be awesome with the red and you'll have peace of mind when your banging through those gears. Plus the red should be plenty of fun on its own...atleast for a little while haha.
Yeah. That's definitely a concern. Thanks for bringing it up. I'm surprised it hasn't already come up

So far, it looks like people have had a lot of luck running 500whp with the stock bottom end. There's even a few looking to get to 600whp now, right? Here's a couple of threads I found, well, at least somewhat comforting:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-end-good.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ck-club-4.html

I am thinking about upgrading rod bolts, but it seems there are a few mixed opinions on that. Maybe like the head studs, it's just cheap insurance.

Is there something that you're skeptical about on the results in these two threads? Like you said, it could be Russian roulette. There's another thread with motors blown with little or no mods. My concern is that history is written by the survivors, so maybe I'm paying attention to the success stories and not so much about those that blew up their engines. Thoughts?

Last edited by sbr-drive; Jan 14, 2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by dude
Cams would be Kelford 272's (do a search for AMS cam test)

BOV would be JDM metal (crushed for higher boost if needs be) or Synapse Synchronic. APS still has flutter issues...

I would skip the ARP headstuds, I run 30psi for thousands of miles on my stockers and no issues.

I'd also drop the HKS intake for the Perrin, and possibly wait for the redesigned AMS intercooler.

One other thing I would do is leave plenty of room for e85 by going with larger injectors and not bothering with meth at all.
Thanks for the cam recommendation. I haven't seen that comparison yet, so I'll check it out.

For the BOV the two that were at the top of my list were the APS and the Dejon Leak Stop Kit on a IX metal DV. The APS is well recommended. The Dejon seems like a great idea in theory, but I need to do some more reading on how it's working in practice. I haven't found that much info on it yet. I haven't looked too much into the Synapse yet either, but I'll check it out. Thanks.

As for e85, it would only be a track thing. I don't really have stations accessible in my area.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 09:52 AM

So just out of curiousity, how do you tune with meth injection? Say one uses regular washer fluid - what types of a/f ratios should one shoot for? Also, what octane grade will meth injection (again, washer fluid) equate to? I heard 110 octane (?). Furthermore, can one throw in a little more timing with meth injection - if so how much? Reason I ask is cause I'm getting a AEM kit thrown into the car as we speak.

Another question, will 780cc injectors be enough for a FP Red+Meth Inj combination (with HKS 272's)?

Thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SAfrican

Another question, will 780cc injectors be enough for a FP Red+Meth Inj combination (with HKS 272's)?

Thanks.
i would definitely go with 1000cc's at least.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by ernald711
i would definitely go with 1000cc's at least.
Thanks. Finally got the car tuned at 28psi and the 780cc seemed to be doing just fine. For now that's plenty for my DD chores. Will check with my tuner as to duty cycle at that tune, but I'm sure if that was a concern, he would have told me. Thanks for the advice/help.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 08:09 AM

When you order the RED from Forced Performance make sure you have them port the hotside and wastegate opening b/c if you dont it will boost creep badly on 93oct. Good Luck!!!