Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

oil leak near intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oil leak near intake manifold *edit* bad news =[

ive been searching for this oil leak culprit for a few months with no luck. Ive replaced oil filters, checked the oil lines and gaskets and I cant figure it out. After further investigation Im almost 100% sure it is coming from behind the intake manifold.

It is not a big leak but it definitely is something I want to fix. What could be leaking back there and how can I check exactly what it is? A few times my dipstick pops out too but its very rare.

The leak started right after I got my timing belt change but I have no clue what it is. The only thing I know is when they first turned the car on they forgot to plug back the pcv line back in but that is all.

Please help I hate having to drive the car with a leak. What are some good places to look at for leaks.

Last edited by def1; Jan 9, 2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could it be comming from the valve cover?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:46 AM
Evolving Member

Valve Cover, cam seal, cam angle sensor or mivec sensor. Thats about all i can think of at the back minus dipstick and headgasket. Obviously not your oil cap or else you'd have a nice puddle in the middle of the valve cover.

I had a nasty cas leak and it took me the longest time to find it. This coupled with my dipstick errecting once a week made it an oil tanker. So after dropping the pan and resealing, vc gaskets and the seal on the cas housing it turned out it was the little triangle cap on the cas.

Everything is spotless since the motor came out. Now that i own the car i plan to keep it this way. And yes the motor did give in. Big shocker there
Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

Oh one more thing, enjoy the weather you lucky sob. PA is freezing nuts right now.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:53 AM
Evolved Member

ok ill check those things. i dont think its the valve cover but its possible. i have a nice puddle of oil all over my control arm and oil filter and also all over my driveway.

and while the weather is nice. i wish i had snow !
Old Jan 9, 2009, 02:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by def1
ok ill check those things. i dont think its the valve cover but its possible. i have a nice puddle of oil all over my control arm and oil filter and also all over my driveway.

and while the weather is nice. i wish i had snow !

Some of the things to look for:

1. Look inbetween the first and second intake runners starting from the drivers side, look down below the manifold and you will see the oil pressure sending unit (On a VIII). This will drip down and the air moving under the car will cause it to blow all over the underside of the car.
2. Check your oil cooler lines, if they have ever been removed/replaced/loosened, sometimes the bonded washer "lips" (Look at the washers closely, they are there) can be put back where they won't be seated properly, or nicked causing an oil leak right by your filter & housing. This will also cause your control arm to get covered in oil.
3. Check the bottom of your timing cover, if you see oily residue where the timing cover (Plastic belt cover) meets the aluminum oil pump plate then you will have a leak somewhere under the plastic timing belt cover.

What I find best in this situation:

Clean the heck out of everything, the entire motor (Cover your intake), and powerwash as best as you can the underside of the motor/chassis. Then drive the car for a day or two, and keep checking under for where the oil resdue propigates from. Then you will find your problem real quick. Hence the reason i am a stickler about keeping my motor very clean, it's easy to spot problems fast, and before they become a failure.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

ill definitely look at those things thanks. Im definitely going to wash my engine as well that would really help. Thanks man. Ill let you know what I find today guys.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tkklemann
Some of the things to look for:

1. Look inbetween the first and second intake runners starting from the drivers side, look down below the manifold and you will see the oil pressure sending unit (On a VIII). This will drip down and the air moving under the car will cause it to blow all over the underside of the car.
2. Check your oil cooler lines, if they have ever been removed/replaced/loosened, sometimes the bonded washer "lips" (Look at the washers closely, they are there) can be put back where they won't be seated properly, or nicked causing an oil leak right by your filter & housing. This will also cause your control arm to get covered in oil.
3. Check the bottom of your timing cover, if you see oily residue where the timing cover (Plastic belt cover) meets the aluminum oil pump plate then you will have a leak somewhere under the plastic timing belt cover.

What I find best in this situation:

Clean the heck out of everything, the entire motor (Cover your intake), and powerwash as best as you can the underside of the motor/chassis. Then drive the car for a day or two, and keep checking under for where the oil resdue propigates from. Then you will find your problem real quick. Hence the reason i am a stickler about keeping my motor very clean, it's easy to spot problems fast, and before they become a failure.
Wow i completly forgot about the oil pressure sender. So thats what the clip on the harness is i was trying to figure out the other day. I was labeling my whole wiring harness as my motors been out for a while now and i thought it would be easier to put back together. I remembered everything just fine except for that.

I was thinking it was in the oil filter housing like my dsm. But now i remember when i finished building the 6 bolt for my spyder i used the evo sender. So i must have forgotten all about it.

And things weren't adding up since i had everything checked off in my head but couldn't find the oil sensor harness. Turns out that really was it eh. And no the blocks not here so i wouldn't know about the oil passage being tapped. sorry for the long rant. OP: get back to us when you check things out.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so I just checked and well its leaking from the bolt right above the oil filter.

I think when they did my timing belt they stripped the housing because the bolt is fine but it just wont tighten. What do I do guys? I dont even know if its repairable and who knows how much it is for a new housing =[
Old Jan 9, 2009, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

That sucks, that looks like the bolt that holds the tensioner and the housing. And i'm not positive i'll have to check but i'm preety sure that threads into the block. If this is the case then the housing has to come off and the threads repaired(definetly do it on their expense...*******s). I'll let you know for sure in a few seconds.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Yupp that bolt threads into the block. This is not what you wanted to hear.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:13 AM

Jesus...all I have to say is "F" Mitsubishi. I used to love these friggin cars...No I find mine has a leak around the same area yours does, and come to find out my oil pan has rusted through. Although our cars are only identical in some ways I think the metal they've been using is bull****. I drive an '04 Lancer Ralliart and yes, if you've done the mathh already...that equals 5 years old. 5 year old lancer+Ohio driving+only using the best oil(Mobil 1)+whatever else= rusty *** piece of ****...sorry. Venting...Anyways...I hope you find out the culprit and good luck trying to find that "Dealer only oil pan" I'm in the process...Email me and let me know if you find anything out! Oh...and good luck.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lost spyder
. . . with my dipstick errecting once a week . . .
Giggle, giggle.

Sorry about your luck. I would demand a new block.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

wow that really sucks im sorry to hear that, i would def make them pay for it