Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Puck clutch break in, the real answer?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, Dirk.

So, are we supposed to baby it like driving/shifting at low rpm like around 3-4K rpm? Would it be okay to do rev-matching downshifting??

And to baby it, I'm driving my Evo damn too slow that I even hate myself myself!!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EnjoyDriving
Thanks, Dirk.

So, are we supposed to baby it like driving/shifting at low rpm like around 3-4K rpm? Would it be okay to do rev-matching downshifting??

And to baby it, I'm driving my Evo damn too slow that I even hate myself myself!!
Who said to baby it? Just don't allow it too hot from excessive clutch slipping, and just drive it.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ACTman,

Do you folks at ACT have any video or studies of what noises are considered "normal" for the unsprung 6 puck? I am just not sure what noises are normal, so I figured who better to ask than the people that make and test it.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 09:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
ACTman,

Do you folks at ACT have any video or studies of what noises are considered "normal" for the unsprung 6 puck? I am just not sure what noises are normal, so I figured who better to ask than the people that make and test it.
That would be very difficult to do since noise varies so much. Normal would be any gear noise associated with torsional vibration because there is virtually no torsional dampening to prevent the gear noise from occuring when using a solid center disc. I have heard gear noise present itself quite differently in different vehicles.

Under different conditions there are different types of gear rattle noises such as idle rattle, burst rattle, coast rattle, decel rattle, etc. All of which are influenced by the engine type (how many cylinders, inline, V or opposed, NA or boost, gas or diesel) modifications (such as how much boost cams, pistons, front dampeners, flywheel, tuning, and the list goes on) and vehicle configurations (FWD, AWD, transmission type and location).

You can take the same solid center clutch on a LS7 V8 instead of a EVO and although it would be very noisy on the EVO, it would probably be almost silent on the V8. Also the disc splines may wear out in a only few thousand miles on the EVO and last for over 100K on the V8. Case in point is our most popular clutch for the C6 Corvette which is a solid center twin street disc. It is virtually silent because the engine is NA V8 and the transmission is in the rear, driven by a long shaft (which probably helps absorb some of the vibrations).

I also don't want to run the danger of trying to diagnose noises over a keyboard. If someone has a serious probably such as a flywheel coming loose, I don't want to tell them the rattle noise I hear on a Youtube video sounds "normal" to me.