Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Just replaced my clutch!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2009, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first time always sucks, 20+ hours, and yes tools and acccess to lift and helpers are factors

but you gotta do what you gotta do
btw, taking out power steering crap gives a lot of room

you'll get it man, just gota pop that clutch-change cherry
Old Apr 9, 2009, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ride22
I am really having a difficult time deciding if I want to venture down this road or not. I do know that I don't want to pay $600- 700 for someone to do it for me, and that is the going rate here in Louisville, Ky.

My cheapness is probably going to win, and I have a feeling that my car will be on a lift for 20+ hours with me wanting to pull my hair out. Oh fun.
It's not hard if you have power tools and a lift. get plastic ziploc bags and label the bolts so you don't waste time figuring out which section when where....only parts that may delay installation; TOB release, and lining up transmission and TC
Old Apr 9, 2009, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cali2MDevo8
LOL. I'm thinking about doing my own clutch job (if I decide to keep my evo) in the next month or so with the help of my brother. I'll have access to every tool needed and a lift.

Was going to use this How to: http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tec...4426ffb22bacd6

Do you guys recommend this how to?
btw i think that how to is pretty good
Old Apr 9, 2009, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
It's not hard if you have power tools and a lift. get plastic ziploc bags and label the bolts so you don't waste time figuring out which section when where....only parts that may delay installation; TOB release, and lining up transmission and TC
+1 agreed with the labeling
Old Apr 10, 2009, 02:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
I call BS on 2 hours. If it is a Misu master tech, they have to put it on the hoist, disconnect most of the front suspention and steering, drop the subframe, remove the TC, remove the tranny, change the clutch, install the tranny, install the TC, install the subframe, hook up the suspension and steering bits, and bleed the power steering. . .

Mitsu protocol is to remove the front subframe. You *can* do it just by lowering the SF 1" or so, but as far as I know all Mitsu techs follow the Mitsu directions and remove the whole thing . . .

Mitsu charges for 9 hours to do this job. . . that is the set time allotment in the Mitsu service system.
i agree 2 hours is absolutely absurd.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

After doing this job twice in my garage I'll have to that I think 2 hours is doable. I was in no rush cause I was waiting on parts when I started so my personal time is a couple weekends. If you have ever been a tech then you know there are quicker ways to do things than by the book. I agree with you statement about most things not getting torqued back down, but the only important things are the pressure plate & flywheel which I'm sure do. With a lift & air tools I beleive I can do it in about 3 hours myself. Having all thye right tools makes a big diffrence. If you are doingthis at home I strongly suggest removing the subframe. I doesnt take long at all & gives you tons of room.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 07:44 AM

2 hours is cutting every corner and having everything go right,no problems,but can be done.
When using a lift at work and being bothered by everyone in the shop asking 1000 questions I can still manage to do it in 3-3 1/2 hours and that is double checking everything before going for a test drive. I am sure that being left alone and having everything go right and no problems I could do it in 2-2 1/2 hours but that is just doing it with the flat rate mentality. I would only do that on my own car and never on a customers because if you forget something on your own car you can fix it the next day,but I don't want a paying customer to come back because "I" forgot to tighten something or were careless and caused an axle seal to leak,or whatever. That is why someone paid me to do it,so there wouldn't be any "issues" later on down the road. I do them in my driveway on my back and can do them in aprox. 5 hours,just taking my time. There is very little "overhead" when doing them at home and no excuses to have made a mistake due to a shortcut being taken. My customers are always happy when I am done and I usually have them coming back for other work and or refering their friends to me. What is really sad is when performance shops refer their customers to me as that has happened more then once and is usually because the customer needs the work done in a day or 2 and the shop is too busy to get to it in that amount of time so they send them my way as I can get the work done and not have to worry about "comebacks".