Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Just replaced my clutch!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just replaced my clutch!

I hate evos now! They are the biggest pain in the *** ever. It took me 11 hours to do a 4 hour job. Ive been working on cars forever and never had that much trouble with a clutch. There is no room for the removal/installation of the transfer case and the whole separating the throw out bearing with a flat head trick was a crock. Im just saying, Mitsubishi could have done a way better job in the development! Im done ranting. Just thought I would share.

One helpful hint, a huge pry bar is a must!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wish i could say i did my own clutch... i had heard a few stories about people struggling with the installation and promptly brought it to my local tuner. sorry about your troubles, but i'm sure as soon as you start driving with your new clutch you'll realize you don't "hate evos anymore".
Old Jan 9, 2009, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostinscooby
I hate evos now! They are the biggest pain in the *** ever. It took me 11 hours to do a 4 hour job. Ive been working on cars forever and never had that much trouble with a clutch. There is no room for the removal/installation of the transfer case and the whole separating the throw out bearing with a flat head trick was a crock. Im just saying, Mitsubishi could have done a way better job in the development! Im done ranting. Just thought I would share.

One helpful hint, a huge pry bar is a must!
The master tech I take my car to does them in 2 hours... just takes time. Do a few and you'll get it done in under 4.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 09:13 PM

Wow sorry to hear that man.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I call BS on 2 hours. If it is a Misu master tech, they have to put it on the hoist, disconnect most of the front suspention and steering, drop the subframe, remove the TC, remove the tranny, change the clutch, install the tranny, install the TC, install the subframe, hook up the suspension and steering bits, and bleed the power steering. . .

Mitsu protocol is to remove the front subframe. You *can* do it just by lowering the SF 1" or so, but as far as I know all Mitsu techs follow the Mitsu directions and remove the whole thing . . .

Mitsu charges for 9 hours to do this job. . . that is the set time allotment in the Mitsu service system.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
as far as I know all Mitsu techs follow the Mitsu directions and remove the whole thing . . .

Mitsu charges for 9 hours to do this job. . . that is the set time allotment in the Mitsu service system.
From the work that I've done at a dealership, everyone takes shortcuts (but still completing the job right) because thats how they make their $. Getting paid for 9hrs when you only did 2 is a good thing when it comes to "flat-rate pay". If there's a more efficient way of doing something, then why not do it? If they didn't pay on flat-rate, then I would "milk" the whole 9hrs. It's just the way things are.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 08:58 AM
JEP
Evolving Member

I say bull**** on your 2 hour install, no f-cking way could your master tech change a Evo clutch in that time frame!!!
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

hint, a huge pry bar is a must!
Old Jan 12, 2009, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by dac001
hint, a huge pry bar is a must!
yup!
Old Jan 20, 2009, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

I say that 11hrs isn't that bad... it took me almost 20 my first time! You're right about the t-case... for me, I had a heck of a time with the t/o bearing and squeezing the drivetrain out!
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Took 9 hours with a friend including a trip to the store for some misc. stuff and dinner.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

11 hours is a good time. The mitsu dealerships in my area all charge 10 hours of labor to do a clutch on EVO's.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

First time is always a pain if you don't have someone to guide you. Nice work though, atleast you got it done!
Old Mar 22, 2009, 08:00 PM
xh6

Why exactly are you removing the tcase completely? All it takes is removing the six bolts, pull the two intermediate shafts with a slide hammer (with the right adapter) and pulling it to the side. You can even get to the rear lower trans bolt.

And if you use two big screwdrivers the tob comes right off. Dont twist right in the middle, one screwdriver on each side. Not that difficult.

I've done it in roughly 3 1/2 hours or so without removing any of the suspension/subframe etc...
Old Mar 23, 2009, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by xh6
Why exactly are you removing the tcase completely? All it takes is removing the six bolts, pull the two intermediate shafts with a slide hammer (with the right adapter) and pulling it to the side. You can even get to the rear lower trans bolt.

And if you use two big screwdrivers the tob comes right off. Dont twist right in the middle, one screwdriver on each side. Not that difficult.

I've done it in roughly 3 1/2 hours or so without removing any of the suspension/subframe etc...
Yeah, I figured that out about the transfer case. I did that with my t0b but it didnt work. Its was a pita.

Quick Reply: Just replaced my clutch!