Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Kelford 272 on stock springs/retainers.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2009, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Kelford 272 on stock springs/retainers.

Tried searching but couldn't find the answer im looking for.

Im planning on going with the BBK next week and have decided on going with the Kelford 272's on my Evo8. Can i run these cams on stock springs/retainers?? IF i can't what would be a good spring/retainer set?? buschur, supertech, ferrea...

Thanks guys!
Old Jan 10, 2009, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock springs and retainers are fine as long as you don't plan on exceeding the factory rev limit.

If you plan on wringing out that BBK, then yes, you'll need to upgrade. I hear the Beehives are pretty good, but have no first hand experience with them.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by blueprint
Tried searching but couldn't find the answer im looking for.

Im planning on going with the BBK next week and have decided on going with the Kelford 272's on my Evo8. Can i run these cams on stock springs/retainers?? IF i can't what would be a good spring/retainer set?? buschur, supertech, ferrea...

Thanks guys!
Bump for a good question. I'd like to know myself.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dude
Stock springs and retainers are fine as long as you don't plan on exceeding the factory rev limit.

If you plan on wringing out that BBK, then yes, you'll need to upgrade. I hear the Beehives are pretty good, but have no first hand experience with them.
Thanks!!
Old Jan 10, 2009, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just get some springs. Its cheap insurance and since you are already installing cams, just throw the springs and some ARP studs in while the head is off.

FYI I have Kelford 272's, Beehive springs/retainers.

You'll love these killer cams.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo H8
Just get some springs. Its cheap insurance and since you are already installing cams, just throw the springs and some ARP studs in while the head is off.

yeah i hear you on the insurance. while my mechanic and i are in there we'll go ahead and slap the springs in. just curious to know if they are absolutely necessary but i hear you on the insurance part.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Just get springs, I have the supertech dual valve springs and ti retainers and love them.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 07:08 PM
Former Sponsor

You can get away with stock valvetrain on those cams.. We try to have most customers do a beehive set of springs atleast since we are already in there.. Cheaper in the long run while your in doing cams and added insurance..

Mike
Old Jan 10, 2009, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo H8

FYI. You do not need to remove the head to change cams and/or springs. You just need to remove the valve cover.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 09:00 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Stock springs are fine, just keep stock rev-limit. If you're worried, get HKS 280's, love those cams.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:01 AM

Do yourself a favor and do the springs and retainers while you're already in there.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

thanks guys, i've decided just to do the springs and retainers. can you guys recommend a great set?

right now im looking at the Supertech Valve Springs/Retainers.... problem is im having a hard time deciding if Dual Valve Springs are worth the extra $$$.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by blueprint; Jan 11, 2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Supertech Dual Valve springs with Ti retainers. Great setup and will handle whatever cams you throw at them later on down the road.

The factory springs are beehive springs so don't let people tell you that you NEED beehive springs! You already have them! LOL Just FYI the BC replacement single springs only have like 3 pounds higher seat pressure than the stock stuff. Most people replace the stock springs when they get into a cam that might cause coil bind do to excessively high lift. Check out what is available and make your decision based on what you are comfortable with and what is in your budget. Also take into account the Cam manufacturers recommendations.

Josh
Old Jan 11, 2009, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

i really dont want to cheap out on this project... ive cut corners in the past and it's bitten me in the @ss. i'd rather be patient, save up and get what works best rather than rush it and end up fixing stuff later on.

i decided on purchasing the Supertech DUAL Valve Springs and Retainers. I will take pictures of my progress and will keep you all updated.

Thanks for helping me with my decision. Kelford 272 Cams, BBK as well as all the mods in my sig should put a smile on my face when all is said and done.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by racer135
FYI. You do not need to remove the head to change cams and/or springs. You just need to remove the valve cover.
Install cams as you like. The ideal and best way is to remove the head. Thats how many top shops, CBRD who installed my cams, and I agree is the best way. Not to steal the thread! This is another discussion topic....

Quick Reply: Kelford 272 on stock springs/retainers.