Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

newbie injector install question (pic included)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbie injector install question (pic included)

Alright my first time installing injectors do I need/have to re use this rubber insulator on my stock injectors and transfer it over to my 880's. Its the rubber piece that goes right below the o-ring comes off pretty easy... This is not the rubber/plastic insulator that goes on the head

Thanks peeps

Last edited by mugen777; Jan 10, 2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

holy huge picture... should have resized.. anyway
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Ive honestly never owned a Evo, is that A ring that sits in the actual fuel rail???or head side??
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Below the o ring, I would reinstall it. Turning your key on should pressurize the system too to make sure there are no leaks
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

no no on the injector itself... I am asking because it doesn't act like it wants to go properly on the 880 injectors
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Nope...

Just need the intake manifold rings and the smaller spray rings. Be EXTREMELY careful pushing the injectors into the rail. Those small rings LOVE to rip and you'll be cussing up a storm if you strand yourself by ripping one.

-E
Old Jan 10, 2009, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
There are injector o-rings that go around the top of the fuel injector into the fuel rail. Then there is the injector seals that go into the intake manifold. Looks like you have the o-rings but not the seals, i do not remember mine ever has the insulators. But i know buschur racing and other shops carry the install kit which i recomend getting with extra's cause i know those o-rings like to break easy and if your running high boost the injector seals will rip and cause a leak. Make sure you lube the o-rings up and the seals before installation. Keeps them from ripping as easily. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Last edited by yellowevo82; Jan 10, 2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

the only thing you should use off the stock injecter is the red oring... take the probably green one off your new ones which are too big, and put the red ones on, will fit like a charm!!!! dont push them in too hard either......... they should just sit there really!!!
Old Jan 10, 2009, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hopper
Ive honestly never owned a Evo, is that A ring that sits in the actual fuel rail???or head side??
You should have them on your dsm as well bud.

As far as those insulators yea you should run them. It stops the injector from going into the rail too far thus keeping the pintle of the injector snug against the injector seals on the intake mani. There is absolutely no advantage to running without them(couple of ounces of weight reduction?). But peace of mind against any injector seal vac/boost leaks.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:00 AM
Account Disabled

just make sure you put the injectors in properly and dont mess up the o ring on the injector or fuel will be pissing everywere
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 1NastyMR
just make sure you put the injectors in properly and dont mess up the o ring on the injector or fuel will be pissing everywere
Not to be gross or anything guys but i find a bit of saliva works wonders as a lube on the fly.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, you absolutely do need those. You will have an o-ring at the top of the injector, that a-ring will sit below that, and then you will have the thick o-ring that sits in the manifold.

if the a-ring isnt there, it WILL leak. I just put mine back together last week and of of those a-rings were soft and not supporting anything and spraying fuel all over. Luckily I had a new set from a kit, put on new a-rings and seald up perfect.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

^ Smart man. Op, you have them. Why not use them? You're questioning something that really won't reap you any benefits/rewards. Might as well stay on the safe side of things. If you don't take my advice take ^his. Or just look at bishi. They have them on there for a reason. And it's not like your new injectors are different. They just flow more.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:20 AM
Evolving Member

i tried to use them on my PTE 1000's and it seemed like it was pushing the injectors too far into the IM so i didnt use them and dont have any leaks and im running 32psi. also my friend got some PTE 880's from ams and i think they told him to just install them the way they came witch is without that spacer and he isnt leaking either. i think it might be best to call buschur and ams and see what they so and let us all know cuz it seems like its 50/50 on who uses them and who doesnt...
Old Jan 11, 2009, 01:24 AM
Evolving Member

It was pushing too much into the im? How soft are your im seals?? Assuming the injector seals haven't turned into soup the A seal should give first. As it SHOULD be the softer of the two.

Also are you using the viton seals by any chance?

Quick Reply: newbie injector install question (pic included)