Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Knocking - Pre Ignition issue

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocking - Pre Ignition issue

Ok, I will not call myself an expert on the internals of the 4g63, but I have read enough over the last 3-4 years to have a solid foundation...this problem however, has me perplexed.

I have a 2005MR which is ALMOST stock (APS BOV, cat delete pipe, some suspension mods and thats about it) and for about a week now, I have been getting the characteristic "knocking" sound (metal-ball "dance"), ONLY while accelerating and parallel with turbo spool. What I mean is that if I dont accelerate hard enough to get the turbo going (smooth acceleration while upshifting at low RPMs) I dont get knocking.

What is weird, is that I have not done ANTHING to the car recently, except going from the stock, plastic BOV, to the APS BOV. I cant for the life of me, believe that the BOV has anything to do with that (?). I take care of this car like it's my child, so it is not abuse by ANY stretch. Initially I thought that MAYBE I had gotten "bad" gasoline (I am in Greece now) so I filled up (TWICE) with Shell V-Power 100 octane gasoline, but to no avail. I have checked my sparkplugs and they look fine. I am still running on stock maps.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am trying to diagnose the problem myself, because (sadly) I dont trust mechanics over here.

Thanks
Old Jan 12, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

if you had a tactrix cable and a laptop you could log your car and see how bad your knocking...bc i do know that a stock evo from the factory will knock but a BOV shouldn't mess with it much but a test pipe might...are you getting a SES light from the cat delete? without tuning for the cat delete the ecu won't see a functional cat and will run lean
Old Jan 12, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you were audibly hearing knock like metallic clanking then I think your plugs would look terrible and I'd thought your engine would have let go already. I doubt it's knock it is probably something else like a rattle.

Does the car feel down on power?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evane
if you had a tactrix cable and a laptop you could log your car and see how bad your knocking...bc i do know that a stock evo from the factory will knock but a BOV shouldn't mess with it much but a test pipe might...are you getting a SES light from the cat delete? without tuning for the cat delete the ecu won't see a functional cat and will run lean
True, but the cat-delete was installed almost a year ago, at which time I also installed a mech CEL-fix. However, once in a while I still get a CEL and for that, I have an Equus diagnostic code reader so I just delete the CEL. I suppose it IS possible that the cat-delete can creat a problem...but it took THAT long for the problem to manifest itself?...
Old Jan 12, 2009, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

if you had a tactrix cable and laptop, i or someone else on EvoM could disable the rear 02 sensor so you never have to deal with it again...i've disabled my rear o2 and egr system
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

if you had a tactrix cable and laptop, i or someone else on EvoM could disable the rear 02 sensor so you never have to deal with it again...i've disabled my rear o2 and egr system
The funny thing is that I HAVE been itching to get a tactrix cable for a while now, but I recall they were having some issues with their software being able to support the hardware..DONT quote me on that because it HAS been a while since I checked.

There is no other way around it, I HAVE to have the ability to log, analyze and (with help from others) moddify certain parameters. If its not too much to ask, I would like to contact you when I have the cable so you can help me disable the rear O2.

Last edited by Yorgis_MR; Jan 12, 2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

no problem when you get it let me know and i'll have it done it a jiffy
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Yorgis_MR
The funny thing is that I HAVE been itching to get a tactrix cable for a while now, but I recall they were having some issues with their software being able to support the hardware..DONT quote me on that because it HAS been a while since I checked.

There is no other way around it, I HAVE to have the ability to log, analyze and (with help from others) moddify certain parameters. If its not too mcuh, I would like to contact you when I have the cable so you can help me disable the rear O2.
Tactrix no longers sells the 1.3 cable - just the 2.0 which is in the works of being more supported.

You can get the 1.3 cable from evoscan..... http://www.limitless.co.nz/cables/
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crcain
If you were audibly hearing knock like metallic clanking then I think your plugs would look terrible and I'd thought your engine would have let go already. I doubt it's knock it is probably something else like a rattle.

Does the car feel down on power?
"ENGINE WOULD HAVE LET GO"??? Are you TRYING to give me a heart attack? LOL.

True, but the cat-delete was installed almost a year ago, at which time I also installed a mech CEL-fix. I do however, once in a while, get a CEL. I have an Equus diagnostic code reader and I usually just delete the CEL.

As far as power loss, I would say that there is a noticeable level of power being "drained"...if I had to guess, I would say 20-25%.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

do you have a boost gauge? i wonder if it could be caused by a boost leak?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Knocking (detonation) and pre-ignition are 2 different events......just an FYI.

Pre-ignition could be fatal upon occurrence......detonation can be fatal long term if not corrected.

Here is some info, just start google and you can read all about them, etc....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

do you have a boost gauge? i wonder if it could be caused by a boost leak?
That would be a surprise to me, and the only boost gauge i have is the stock gauge that comes with the MR. If it was a leak, would it not sound like a flutter (it would be associated with an "air" sound) or something similar to that? The "metallic" sound is what scares me.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

i had a knocking sound that happened at partial throttle around 3 to 4k rpm. i swapped the plugs and it helped a little then it was time for a oil change, did all that and drove to the auto parts store to change the filter. had the knocking on the way there, swapped the filter in the parking lot and the ride home the noise was gone. only thing i could think was all the dust storms az was having really stuffed my filter good. dunno if that helps, just a some what similar experience.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by travman
Knocking (detonation) and pre-ignition are 2 different events......just an FYI.

Pre-ignition could be fatal upon occurrence......detonation can be fatal long term if not corrected.

Here is some info, just start google and you can read all about them, etc....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking
Yup, I read that same exact article several days ago; I mentioned both because I have never had this problem and since BOTH words have elements that describe SOME of the symptoms I've been experiencing, I figured I would throw them both in the pot and see what people have experienced. That IS a really good article though
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Just to let everyone know, I HAVE reasearched this subject for DAYS now...I just need to "filter" the information I am receiving, and possibly hear from someone that had this issue, knows of this issue, etc.

Last edited by Yorgis_MR; Jan 12, 2009 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Knocking - Pre Ignition issue